Sci-Fi Ghost in the Shell (2017 film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, May 26, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Woohooo, my predictions came true. They've added Rila Fukushima to the cast.

[​IMG]

Source: click

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Very pleased to hear this. The Wolverine was okay at best but I really liked her in it. Also think casting of Beat Takeshi as Aramaki and Plou Asbaek as Batou are inspored. Btw are you 100% positive Michael Pitt will play Kuze? Cause I heard he would play The Laughing Man. Kuze makes more sense since er...spoilers. But I'm jsut a bit confused. Either way Michael Pitt is a great actor. I loved him in Boardwalk Empire and I Origins.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Mang I've been telling you for 2 months now. Its Kuze.

4. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I was a bit puzzled by the apparent change in character for Michael Pitt as well - it makes me wonder if they might be planning to merge elements of the Laughing Man storyline with that of the Individual Eleven.

Presently, I would place a small amount of money on them have rewritten it to make Kuze the Laughing Man's real identity.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Suppose they could've done worse than Scarlett Johansson. The rest of the cast is great although would it kill them to put Tadanobu Asano in one of these asian/western cross-over production? Also, I know Batou is based of Steven Segal but I always imagined him as buffed up Jeff Goldblum.

Yeeeeah.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The first would be a recipe for disaster. The second though, I can see that happening.

7. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

I'm very sceptical that can they really make this a good film. The setting and story of GITS is fantastic, so they shouldn't have any problems with the source material at least. Is there any info on what are they basing this movie on? Is it an original idea, or are they trying to make sort of a remake of the first movie or what.

8. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Given that they've named the Laughing Man as a character, it seems likely they intend to pull material from Stand Alone Complex.

9. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I'm pretty mystified about the whole thing, especially since GitS is a very Japanese story in a very Japanese setting. Pretty interested in how the screenplay unfolds.

God, I hope this doesn't suck.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

There is nothing uniquely japanese about this story lol.
    ---
    Michael pitt is a pretty good actor indeed and completely killed it in hannibal.

11. KT Samurai

It is in much the same way Akira is a distinctly Japanese film as well, mostly due to the setting and the history that colors the world and characters that populate the universe this takes place in. I'm not saying it's impossible to adapt it to a Western setting, just that a lot of the soul is lost when you do that and you have to make up for it somehow.

I could write a whole thing on this if you're not convinced.

12. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I wont disagree with you that it's japanese. But people throwing around this idea are acting as if Japan has a monopoly on the cyberpunk theme, when these ideas are actually universal. The philosophical ideas of man and machine have been done in sci-fi since forever.

I do prefer the eastern asian way of doing the cyberpunk.

i think the problem with this movie is that its trying to come off as something it's not, which is complete nonsense. They should just own it up as a western adaptation. But if people weren't so hung up on the whole white washing thing as they were about things taht matter like the writing, likability of the characters, acting etc.

13. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

In fairness, I don't think they've actually said where the film is going to be set. I know the potential for failure is unbelievable, but I feel we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt until the film is released.

Fwiw, I don't find the idea of a GitS film set outwith Japan inherently offensive though - Oshii's first film is set in China in all but name.

14. KT Samurai

Oh. Well. I didn't say any of that, so I guess that settles that.

Ahh, you're not so much reacting to what I said as you were reacting to what you've been reading about. Gotcha.

I do take issue with the casting, mostly on account that this was the perfect opportunity to give a rising Asian actor a high-profile job in an industry that uses Asian people mostly as set dressing and exotic flavor, but the casting is done and I've moved on. Now I'm just interested in a good film, and I'm really curious about how they're going to do that when so much of what occurs in its world -- especially in Stand Alone Complex -- is tied so closely with the history of the region it's set in. I suspect it'll be GitS in name only with maybe some of the same beats, but maybe they'll do a really good job adapting it and all my worries will be for naught. I prefer good movies, so hopefully it's the latter.

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

As much as I love the 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie I can't deny that in a lot of ways it's very similar to Blade Runner, both in terms of style and themes which, last I checked, was an American movie based on an American short story.

As for SAC, Kenji Kamiyama himself said he was mostly inspired by Hollywood movies and western cop shows and that he wanted it to have a western feel. (can't find the exact quote but it's in one of the interviews with him on the bonus track of one of the two SAC DVD sets I own)

16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

17. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy crap its that Iron born brother dude. Nice.And I'm guessing they'll film something in the walled city as they're in HK. Its only right.

And yes, mullet or gtfo.

18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

But...but what about the cybernetic eyes?

19. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Well, it may not be a complete costume - it looks like he may be getting attention from the makeup people there. Alternatively, they may intend to CG them in afterwards.

20. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Looks sharp. I dig it.

Btw is it me or is anybody else getting strong Roy Batty vibes off this look?