Sci-Fi Ghost in the Shell (2017 film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, May 26, 2016.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

He was also really good in I Origins. More people need to watch that film imo.

And ofc he was Mason Verger...god I hated him as Mason Verger. Which was the whole point.

Oh and Jimmy Darmody in BE. Show was never quite the same anymore without him.

Yeah I like Michael Pitt. He's a good actor. Kind of a rotten scoundrel irl I hear though.

2. Enies

Enies Famous Member

5 minute clip of the movie.

Kuze likes this.
  3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Woot. Looks great.

4. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Ok I'm sold. Though why do i feel like scar jo knows nothing about the source material?

5. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

What exactly made you feel that?

6. wesleyv1

Idk. Maybe it's the "my movie" bit or the way she says ghost in the shell just vibes me wrong somehow

7. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I agree Wesley from the way she presented it was not very convincing, she looked away at odd times too. I doubt she is a fan. I can't believe she would be in it for the fame and money. :p

8. wesleyv1

Pretty sure it's just another paycheck for her. I doubt she even knows what anime is

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Let's get that final hype in.

10. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Ghost In The Shell "Kuze" Behind The Scenes Interview - Michael Pitt

Ghost In The Shell "Aramaki" Behind The Scenes English Interview - Takeshi Kitano

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

12. wesleyv1

Ah to heck with critics. I'll form my own opinion when i see it then listen to everyone bitch and moan for the next five years

13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I understand that this movie might be bad. But why are people so quick to point out the white washing when its simply not the case?

its beyond annoying. people are repeating it like a broken record.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Dammit. 7th April release date. Not another week o waiting.:(

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

That's so weird! We're getting it tomorrow like everybody else.

Also bleh! Only 3D viewings available! I wanna see it in glorious 2D!

I'm gonna go see it this saturday with a close friend of mine who's also a big GitS fan. We figure, if it sucks we can atleast cry on eachother's shoulder lol.

16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I went to see it today; that Den of Geek review is pretty much on the money. At no point did it do anything I wasn't expecting, but, taken on its own merits, it's a solid enough sci-fi actioner. It looks far better on the screen than the trailers would have you believe and the cast all do a fine job with what they're given. When it isn't lifting directly from Oshii's film though, it does feel like it has more in common with Robocop than its own source material and the script is a real weak link - there's hardly a line in it that doesn't feel way too on the nose.

Also, just as a foot note, I couldn't help noticing that they've cut the scene where 'Major' kisses the prostitute, despite that being featured in the trailers.

17. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

On the fence about this. If it's good and I hear that from many people, I will try to see it. Otherwise, I might just let it slide.

18. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

In theaters today. Don't forget the spoiler tags people if you've seen it already. I'm not a big fan of crowds and the battle for good seats as a result. Will probably wait a couple of weeks then catch the 9:45 show on $5 night. By then there should be another blockbuster out grabbing everyone's attention and I can watch in peace and quiet.

19. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Yeah for some countries the date got re-scheduled to 7th April (China, Japan wide release, Estonia, Lithuania and India)

20. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Went to see it tonight and it was surprisingly good! The first thing you need to know is that it's a much more stylistic cyberpunk movie compared to the much more grounded anime. More in line ith something like Mardock Scramble. That's not to say it's all very smooth and glamorous. Quite the opposite. To my amazement the movie is really gritty and violent. People get burned alive, limbs get lost and that's not to menton the rather disturbing plot-elements. How they got away with a PG13 rating is beyond me to be honest. It also looks the part with many scenes set in grimy rain-streaked locations. The world of this film is one of dirty concete and muddy roads offset by brief shots of gleaming skyscrapers and giant neon signs.

And this kind of evocative imagery mixes well with the film's writing. It's very in your face but it is effective and it's certainly thought provoking. The movie certainly delves into the same thematic material as the anime and even expands on it. There were certain moments in the film where a notion was put forward that really made me wonder "whyn haven't I asked this question myself before?". This is a well thought universe that's thematically tied to the anime franchise.

The plot too is quite interesting. More than just a mix of different part of the franchise it's a rather complex web of intrigue that raises some interesting moral questions. Kuze's every bit as fascinating a character as he was in the anime and Michael Pitt plays him wonderfully. The second atagonist however is no Goda and does ultimately bring down the film a little in terms of nuance.

Now the million dollar question: how is the major depicted and how well does Scarlett Johansen portray her? The answer: quite well. This itteration of the major is vastly different from any others we've seen giving her an origin story that's sorta like in 2nd GIG but at the same time vastly different/. She is however still the same badass who's constantly asking herself existential questions. Scarlett Johansen does a great job portraying the major imbuying hr with a certain fragility beneath all that hard cybernetic veneer which really sells the character as not just a killing machine but a person with thoughts and emotions of her own.

As for the rest of the cast: Beat Takeshi is a total fucking badass as Aramaki. I honestly thing Aramaki has never been this interesting a character. Highly intelligent, rugged, but also a little excentric he commands the screen. Pilou Asbaek too is a great Batou even though this Batou is a little different from his anime counterpart. Togusa isn't in the movie enough but he's definitely Togusa. From his dislike of cybernetic enhancements to his love for the Mateba. Saito is only in it very briefly but he's awesome. Ishikawa is kind of wasted, Borma is only in it for a few seconds and Paz has been replaced by some generic chick who's clearly only in it for fair representation. That being said I was never too fond of Paz so i don't really mind that.

The soundtrack too is really good. Clint mansell did a great job capturig the tone of the original while giving it a distinctly more estern edge.

Overall I seriously enjoyed this movie. It's definitely not as subtle as the anime and the ending could've been better but it was definitely not a dumb blockbuster. It's no 1995 Ghost in the Shell but it's definitely no Will Smith I Robot either. It was a genuine cyberpunk actionthriller that was tense, gritty, thought provoking and hella entertaining. I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out on Blu-ray and might even go see it again in cinemas given the chance.

So in short...awesome movie: go see it!