Sci-Fi Ghost in the Shell (2017 film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, May 26, 2016.

1. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Hey, I liked i robot:oops:

Narilka likes this.
  2. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

They didn't cut it in my theater, so yay! :LOL:

This movie was a good surprise. It's not the strongest adaptation out there, but it's definitely solid enough to stand on its own. It's its own story, but the respect for the original franchise still rings clear. The cast was also surprisingly good and the whitewashing had some point to it. Unpopular opinion: I was never on board the whitewashing flak train. If the 'critics' still using that as legit 'criticism' actually took the time to watch the movie without having that judgment in their heads, then they'll be able to see the film for what it really is. Besides, isn't the whole point of the franchise about Motoko's real self being put in a robotic body? Loved how the movie addressed the issue, along with all the clever switch-ups from the original series/movies.

And of course, this goes without saying, but this looks and sounds drop-dead gorgeous. It's the kind of world I'd want to get lost in, and already, I'm itching to watch it again.

The first scene was unnecessary, and the story/dialogue could have used more work. Plus, I'd love to see sequels and more Section 9 interactions. It's a good first try for Hollywood anime adaptations, and I've got a feeling that this might be the next misunderstood movie of this generation. Once the negative hype dies down, you can guarantee that this will become the next big cult hit.

Rating: 7 Beat Kitano Bullets out of 10

Kerberos likes this.
  3. wesleyv1

Isn't the first time Hollywood tried to adapt anime but it does seem like it's best attempt

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Its got crap reviews and Kerberos liked it.

So 2 strikes already.

Kerberos likes this.
  5. Enies

Enies Famous Member

kerberos opinions cant be trusted anymore he likes berserk anime.

In his defense though I feel like critics are probably being negatively biased about the whole white-washing thing preventing them from actually objectively gauging the movie for what it is.

Its probably just an okay movie.

6. wesleyv1

Fuck the critics. Whatever happened to personal opinion?

Kerberos likes this.
  7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Aw c'mon, admit it: you secretly like Berserk 2016 too ;)

As for GitS 2017. I thought it was really good. Not perfect but definitely worth checking out. If it were an anime I'd give it a 7.5/10 and a worth buying rating.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Finally got to see it today.

I liked it quite a bit. It wasnt perfect but it blended everything nicely. Question:

did they ever explain how batou got the eyes in the anime at all? A movie or sacs/arise? I have seen all gits and own them all but dont recall batous history

I loved the shot for shot remakes. Not enough but there were a lot. And:

the batou with dog bit was great.
    The trash guy being hacked and used was a straight redo.

The spider robot fight was great and they even had her tear her arm off like in the original movie.

The choir music was a direct homage to the original - you know that almost chant part.

Im sure im missing more but it was fun.

Oh and i did get misty at the end twice:

when the major said her name to the chief or maybe it was to kuze for the last time.

And when she sees her mom at the grave

So it could have been a ten but id say it was a solid 8 for hitting all the right marks. And its pace was great. Being under two hours it could have rushed everything and been just a shoot em up. But there was actual atmosphere and it made it different.

Kerberos likes this.
  9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This review exactly nails how I feel about this film:

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Kerberos - he said a lot of what i said :) ive only seen half of the review, about to go to work so ill watch it later.

11. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

A co-worker made me watch this. Normally, I like Digibro, but I think most of his arguments here were nitpicks and not actual criticism anymore. It's a review of the trailer - which, okay, would throw anyone off, but it's a shame he isn't going to watch the whole thing. It seems he's expecting the film to be a shot-by-shot remake of the original, where literally everything has to be exactly the same. Typical offended otaku stuff.

I do agree with the points he raised, that 1) the Hollywood movie is more action than philosophical, and; 2) why make a remake in the first place? But lately, I'm actually starting to become more and more receptive to remakes. Honestly, if remakes can tell better or more different stories than the originals, then great. Original stories are always better, but with so many remakes getting greenlit these days, I think questioning their existence now becomes a moot point.

Check it out and see what you think:

(It's a genuine, bonafide 18 minute rant.)

12. wesleyv1

That would make sense. If it were a remake

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I do intend to watch this movie, but with all of my assignments building up, I might have to wait a while.

From what I gather from most people who have seen it, there's a lot of offended otakus out there who are giving the film bad reviews based on how much of the source material it did or didn't adhere to. Those are really stupid reasons to slate a movie. When I go to see a movie based on a book that I've read, I'm certainly never expecting an exact adaption, but a close retelling. God damn fanatics.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

To me what's important with an adaptation or a remake of something I know and love is that they keep the soul intact. They can completely rework the plot and characters and everything and I;m fine with that but thye have to stay faithful to the core themes and tone of the original.

That's why I hate the newer seasons of Game of Thrones. Because they completely lost sight of what makes the original novels into what they are. And by that same token, that's why I really liked this new Ghost in the Shell film. Because it's a film that clearly understands that while the gunplay and future tech is cool what makes Ghost in the Shell into what it is, is its existential contemplation and deep roots within the cyberpunk sub-genre. And as such they made a film that is very much a cyberpunk thriller with a surprising amount of depth rather than a bland action blockbuster. And for that I am very thankful.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

FAAAAIIIAAAK!! Up and disappeared in a week. The week that shitty college got in the way. And just when I had actually pre-planned in a long time to go watch a movie at the theaters. Had to settle for a shitty bootleg. Anyways, one of the most satisfying things to watch is Beat Takeshi putting a bullet in someone's face. I was expecting Ishikawa pulling off major hacks indoors but he was out in the field shooting up people. Lel !! Anyway, a random Tachikoma appeared and Saito did a sniper scene.

The movie was an eye-candy as far as aesthetics and the setting goes. I can't compare the plot to the anime series because its a different story altogether and pretty good in its own right. It had some iconic scenes from the anime film which was a treat for fans like me. The movie decided to tackle the microcosm concept of identity with bits and pieces of the overarching concept of human-AI integration conflicts of the franchise. This one could enjoy a decent shelf life even though box office makings were just about.

Ahem, also a sincere bird up them parrots tooting "whitewashing". Them Bath-tub Admirals. Them Tin hatted tyrants weren't even relatively familiar with the source. The movie even pulled up a backstory to tackle this.

I'll be waiting eagerly for the bluray.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  16. wesleyv1

I'm a bit more relaxed with this method in that as long as the main concept is still intact, i honestly don't care what they do. Perfect example is the new power rangers movie

17. wesleyv1

Arkada has spoken

18. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

The critics on this one are a shower of babies and some of them failed to see the deeper point of the film. I actually noticed the bias on reading some of them who were still on the white-washing shit train even after watching it and seeing everything unfold.

I thought it was a great movie myself and they gave the Major a proper background. It was almost like a beginning story for her. It was a little bit of a reflection on life and mortality and how she copes with her situation. How would you feel if you woke up in a robot body? I sure as hell wouldn't like it and she most certainly didn't. XD. Her appearance is explained in the move and satisfyingly so. The people who are still boycotting it should go and see it and then decide. There are enough Asian people in the film that to acccuse them of white-washing at this point is just plain childish.

19. wesleyv1

From what i heard they took aspects from the entire franchize (the original, sac, arise, etc) and not just the original movie

20. wesleyv1

Ok so i finally bought the movie and watched it last night. It was pretty cool, i like how they worked in batos eyes. My biggest gripe (other than making the major somewhat emotionless which i got over once i realized what direction the film was going in) is why is the chief the only one in the entire film that speaks Japanese? He was a badass in the film but the fact that he never spoke a lick of english was jarring and it continuously bugged me but overall i really enjoyed it

yoda313 likes this.