Sci-Fi Ghost in the Shell (2017 film)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, May 26, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Love the logo. I'm expecting a "Major jumps off the roof of the building" scene.

Kerberos likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Given the fuckton of references to both the 1995 film and SAC they've already shown in the scant promotional material we've gotten I think you can be certain a scene like that will be included. (my bet would be the very final shot of the film)

Kuze likes this.
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Someone edited the teasers into one bit.

Looks way better then expected.

tripplej likes this.
  4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

If only they'd actually use that soundtrack.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well no, that theme belongs to the 1995 film and regardless of how good or bad this film is going to be...it's never gonna be the 1995 movie so it shouldn't rip its main theme either. That being said...the fact that the music and images do really seem to fit well together does speak volumes for at least how much they nailed the visual aspect of the movie (based on those few clips ofc)

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

yeah there is like 0 crediblity behind the people making this. However, it's possible for creators to once in a while make something that blows everything else in their filmography. One of those one hit things or people can change and improve..either way the only thing that matters is the final product.

always go with low expectations since anime adaptations tend to suck.

7. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Dragon ball
    sreet fighter
    The last air bender (not saying it's an anime just proving a point)

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Also there was Edge of Tomorrow...which was really freaking awesome and my favourite movie of 2014

Okay technically that was a Light Novel adaptation but eh...same catagory more or less.

Like I said though, the movie could still suck but writing it off just because it's a manga/anime adaptation is kind of shortsighted imo.

9. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Welp, so far there's plenty of reason to be optimistic. The clips suggest a mood and tone close to the original film, and I really dig that.

Teasers and trailers are notoriously deceptive so I remain on guard. But I am more hopeful now than ever that this will not be a generic popcorn action movie with call-outs to the source material, this could be the moody cyber punk mindfuck that I've been hoping for.

Kerberos likes this.
  10. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

If there's that scene, then there's gonna be Scarlett Johansson's boobs showing? :eek: I think that alone would sell millions of tickets.
    Guess I'll have to go watch it if it comes to theaters in here. Hopefully it has that dark atmosphere which the movies had. I don't like it too bright and happy. :D

Kuze likes this.
  11. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

If we're throwing out live-action films based on anime titles that didn't suck, the Jackie Chan version of City Hunter was a lot of fun.

12. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Ichi The Killer based of Koroshiya One was great.

I mean people will stop returning your calls if you recommend it to them but I found it tons of disgusting, weird fun.

Kerberos likes this.
  13. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes! Teriffic film. I was really surprised how faithful an adaptation it was given how it was 100 min movie adapted from an eight volume manga. While I will say the manga is a bit more disturbing and violent than the film ultimately I think they really managed to convey the nightmarish tone and distubing themes of the manga very well.

Anyway let's stick to Ghost in the Shell for now before I have to send myself a warning for derailing the thread.

14. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Don't know if I've mentioned it, but Tadanobu Asano really really should be in this movie.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Yeah I was gonna mention ichi the killer as a good example but I forgot. Definitely one of my favorite movies/most unique i've seen. And I was surprised to find out it was based on the manga which I still haven't gotten around to reading yet. I bet I would love it just as much.

I can't think of any other movie on the top of my head. Edge of tomorrow was just an okay movie to me.

I don't even trust trailers anymore tbh. I won't be optmisitc about this till it finally comes out. People have gotten really good at mastering the art of trailers. You only have to ask suicide squad that as when the first trailer came out it seemed different from the rest .welp.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Media news website Nerdist spoke to actress Scarlett Johansson about the upcoming live-action Ghost in the Shell film and its relation to Masamune Shirow's original manga and the anime. IGN spoke to executive producer Michael Costigan and producer Avi Arad, also on the process of adaptation.

Johansson commented that the movie will not be taking the character right from the source material. "One thing that will be very different, probably, is we're not making the Frank Miller world where those graphic novels come to life. We have kind of the iconic iconography of the manga and stuff, but I think people will be surprised at the gritty kind of realness of this. For a person that doesn't have a heart, it has a lot of heart, I think. The way that we're telling it."

The film will not be adapting just one story — it will draw story elements from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. In particular, according to Arad, the Major's story will be inspired by the episode 'Affection' in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG, and the film will address the Major's sense of self.

"When we first started talking about getting rights for adapting it, the creators went out of their way to suggest that we don't try to adapt one thing," Arad told IGN.

On her character's journey, Johansson said, "I think it's important for the Major to own her…experiences that she's been through and that she didn't really have an active choice in where she is. Instead of kind of fighting that, by accepting that, she becomes a young woman, you know? She goes kind of from being a child-woman to becoming a young woman... It's kind of a loss of innocence that happens, but the gain is really significant."

Both Costigan and Arad were optimistic about making a faithful adaptation. "I feel like such a geek making this movie because we are really bringing it to life so faithfully," Costigan said. "We are bringing things we saw in the anime to the fore in live action so I'm very excited for the fans."

Kerberos likes this.
  17. RyderMcFly

RyderMcFly The Bipolar Bear

Gonna be frank here: I never liked the production from the start with the whitewashing. Now that Johansson has gone on record that it's gonna be one of those generic "She doesn't have a heart but still have a heart" sentimental stories, I'm definitely not gonna watch it even more.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

19. RyderMcFly

RyderMcFly The Bipolar Bear

#79 RyderMcFly, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Great. I'll embed the video for clarity's sake.

Eh, not sure what you're on about. The thermoptics in the 1995 movie was a skin-tight suit, so there wasn't nudity in the original. And they're trying to mimic the same. Though it'd have been better/less questionable(?) if they followed the concept in the anime where the thermoptics didn't depend on what you're attire is.

The vid reminded me of that scene

How they pulled off the thermoptics in the movie:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/11...made-scarlett-johanssons-nude-thermoptic-suit

Kerberos likes this.