News Ghost in the Shell to get new anime project

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kuze, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Source: here

Not sure if this'll be a continuation of Arise or Stand Alone Complex but hooray.

KT Samurai and Kerberos like this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

That's...interesting to say the least. Personally I'm more of a fan of Tow Ubakata's more slower paced and philosophical Arise than Kamiyama's more action-y and grounded Stand Alone Complex but SAC is certainly something I'd like to see more of and while Kamiyama's more recent work hasn't impressed me he is the man that gifted us one of the best shows of all time: Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit.

3. symph

symph SC's #1 Rebel
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I'd rather have more of any of the various iterations of GitS than probably 90% of the anime I've seen. Although I keep thinking that Shinji Aramaki is the head of Section 9, and not a real person, but you know, what the heck.

Vaguely related, there's a theater here showing the original GitS this week, and I actually talked Mrs. Symph into going to see it with me. I'm a little nervous about how it's going to go, since there's almost nothing in that movie that she'd be into. I was going to go on the night that she usually plays board games with her coworkers, but they cancelled, and I was going anyway, so now she gets to judge what sort of things blew the mind of me 20 odd years ago. Fun times!

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

What board games? Reversi or Gomoku?

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

The mention of more GitS always has my attention, but the presence of Shinji Aramaki makes me wonder if they're planning some kind of 3D CGI effort, which would interest me a whole lot less.

I'll try to keep an open mind.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Nah man! DnD! (you use a board for battles so it counts)

I think it all depends on how they do it. If they do it like Appleseed...eh count me out. But if they go the Polygon Pictures road and kind of use that style of CG animation, hell yeah I'm down like Charlie Brown.

Kuze likes this.
  7. symph

symph SC's #1 Rebel
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Not sure, tbh. She said it involved tentacle monsters this week? The one dude is an addict, and buys every freaking game that comes out, and they try the ones he likes. We used to play D&D but our DM moved, so that kind of killed it.

The last Applseed (Alpha?) was tolerable, but if they make as big a jump from that to this as they did from the previous Appleseed to Alpha, it might be ok. That said, I really liked the look of Arise, so I'd be just peachy if they went with that.

Side note, I always forget that Shinji Aramaki is a real person, and not the head of Section 9.

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Than it's probably either a Lovecraft themed game...or Hentai.

My guess is, if they go for the CGI route they'll use the same kind of animation as they did with Kamiyama's Re-Cyborg 009 movies.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

When anime gets nostalgic again. I'll be waiting.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Did arise change the timeline? The one guy just has his first baby born towards the end. Didnt he already have toddlers in gits? The one that had no implants except the communication tap.

Ill take gits anyway i can. Though id prefer a fonal fantasy spirits within cg style where everything is uniform. Sometimes cg can really look weird.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Yes. Arise is pretty much the beginning of Gits. Not the absolute beginning but the start of Section 9 basically.

No details as to what timeline this new project will take.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ah thanks :)

Arise was moodier with the longer format. Sac was more traditional action fair for shorter time frames.

13. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I'm down with some more Arise universe stuff. Movie wrapped it up nicely but there's still tons to mine there. Still need to check the Sleep Eye manga.

Whatever they go with, wonder if they'll allude to real world events like people being hacked to vote a certain way etc. Some of the things people will do to in Mr Sakuga....

14. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Not to worry, @Oh Snape , I’ve already submitted your vote.

I’m not sure that the timeline really matters unless it’s clear that the new story follows one that we already have. The original movie set the stage for SAC and 2nd GIG, but they’re still separate entities. Then the beginnings that were hinted at in those two don’t really match Arise. The new effort might be totally different, but I’m down with it no matter what way it goes. GITS in any form is usually good enough to get the brain cells working.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Best of all gits doesnt fry the brain cells like steins gate does :D

Griffmeister likes this.
  16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Saw this mentioned on ANN the other day, actually thought it was a completely new announcement - I'd forgotten it was announced/hinted at last year. Still really hoping it's not 3D CGI, smh.

17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Arise was pretty amazing both the movie and the episodes. Id look forward to more of that if there is.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is there a chance it could be just cgi for vehicles or other time consuming to draw objects? Id be ok with that.

19. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Im with @Gaff on this one. Im looking forward to the series but I hope they don't throw CGI in there. Hopefully the keep the trend they were going with ARISE as that series was really good.

20. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

In extra news Manga Entertainment will release standard Blu-ray and DVD editions of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex on August 6th. These standard editions include both the original 26-part series directed by Kenji Kamiyama, as well as the subsequent 26-part series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG.