Sci-Fi Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou (The Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Tonto-banchou, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou

[​IMG]

Genre: Action, Military, Sci-Fi, Space Drama
    Studio: Production I.G
    Source: Novel
    Air Date: April 3, 2018

Synopsis
    The Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis - Encounter is the latest in a massive body of work that spans more than 100 OVA-length episodes and bears a timeless, immortal kind of weight to its legacy. This remake series is mostly the same old song, but hopefully with a different meaning since the near-20 years it's been gone. It tells the all-too-familiar tale of conflict between the monarchic Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance, both sides represented by military stand-outs Reinhard von Müsel and Yang Wen Li. Witness them both climb the ranks and add more battlefield exploits to their names, both impressing and offending their superiors the entire way.

PV

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This ones gonna be my very first space opera anime, I think. The 2nd pv sold it for me. Haven't gotten the chance to watch the first episode yet. Hopefully this weekend.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Heres my thoughts:

i watched the first episode. Is this a remake with the original characters? they fo seem really familiar but that could just be to keep the style the same...

My three complaints about the original were music, scale and length. It used canned classical music that didnt always serve the sequence. The scale is just huge and can lead to a loss of suspense in that you can get lost in whats going on. And the sheer length of the series is daunting. I think ive only done first series.

With that said it was worth watching as i like space operas :)

I do want to say i see two of the three problems in the new one. The music may not be canned classical (cant tell for sure) but it still seems not quite right for the action. It just isnt, i dont know bouncy enough for my liking.

That being said its still good and compelling. Hopefully its not going to be a 100 episodes. Its that daunting thing again. I want something concise but not watered down. But it is good dont get me wrong. I guess i want it more like the hunt for red october. A strategy piece interspersed with action and music and action movie drama.

I hope i dont come off as hating it. It just needs tweaking to my liking. Its still good thou

4. Tonto-banchou

I only watched My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, but the remake seems to be pretty faithful to the original so far.

Yeah, wasn't feeling the background music either. Maybe they were trying to go for a cinematic vibe with the music here? The OP and ED were okay, I thought they were fitting for the series.

Watching a CGI-fied Legend of the Galactic Heroes already looks so weird to a first-timer(ish) like me, so I'm not sure how this looks to those who saw the original. I dunno, either the animation's just way too smooth for me or I got so used to the old, scratchy feel of the first series. I'm like Yoda here - it'd be great if the remake was shorter than the original, but I hope that doesn't come at the expense of the story.

It's looking good so far, even if the bishie designs take some getting used to. Great choice to save Yang Wen-li for last. I bet the next episdoe'll be a repeat of the events here, only from the Free Planets' point of view.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Tonto-banchou - thanks. It will be worth watching. I think its like robotech chronicles in terms of seeing it in cg. Its got the feel just updated. We'll see how it goes before i give a final verdict.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Checked out the first episode and it seemed alright. Being my very first introduction to the franchise, I wasn't expecting anything specific anyway. But the lack of mechs was comforting.

This season will be a 12-episode series. Plus a second season is in the works and set for 2019. Titled "The Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These Seiran (The New Thesis: Stellar War)", it'll be 12 episodes as well (which might feature as three films of four episodes each, I'm not sure).

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Opening

"Binary Star" by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Uru

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Ending

"WISH" by ELISA

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks for the details Kuze.

I still have to check out my other shows I want to watch. I might have 5 without having any new ones - wow :D Just continuations.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Heat 1 over. Boy, I just love the opening theme. Lohengramm for the throne then, I assume.

@Oh Snape

Also, I think we need to add Legend of the Galactic Heroes in the title @Tonto-banchou

9. Tonto-banchou

^Done, boss.

Kuze likes this.
  10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Three things first:

I finally figured out what the opening song reminded me of - starships never gonns stop us :D it was bugging me but i got it!

NEXT - the berets yang weres reminded me of rambo! I couldn't think of that the first time.

Lastly - the updated graphics are similar to the star trek tos tv redos. It helps make the direction more understandable.

For the episode it was good. It helped reset me in the universe. However its still so high concept its tough to follow easily. In general you can get it but the concept of thousands of ships battling in 3d space isnt you're typical space battle scenario. And the music is still kinda off.

But ill like watching more.

11. Tonto-banchou

lmao

[​IMG]

yoda313 likes this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Ending Full

"WISH" by ELISA

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Don't know how they'll wrap this up in 2 seasons. Needs at least 50 eps to put forward a strong chain of events. I mean it's doable in 24 eps too, but there'll be some major jumping the horse.....or gun or whatever.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

This is good its starting to come back to me more and more. Though i only did do the first third of the original. Im not sure if ill ever finish the original with this being available in an abridged version apparently.

@Kuze - will they employ the sao time jump? ??

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I'm not aware what the SAO time jump is but a time jump for LOGH would be an easy way out. I'm more of the impression that LOGH is a series that likes to build its grand stages slow and strong.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I mean the complaints against sao that it skips so much time you shouldn't care about the characters (aincrad specifically, the first series).

I wonder if this galactic hero redo is only meant to cover part of the original? It seems pretty straightforward now without missing much if anything.

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Is it me or Sawano Hiroyuki tracks are the best? This OP is truly beautiful. Great vocals by Uru as well.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes 2018 OP FULL「Binary Star」by SawanoHiroyuki[nZk]:Uru

#17 Kuze, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is this jumping at all? Its been awhile since i watched the first part of the original series. Im remberering it as it happens. However it seems like this is moving a bit faster. Or could it be because im familiar with it im sorta anticipating stuff and getting the chronology mixed up?

Anyway this is a very good series. Though the insane numbers of ships and people are just absurd.

19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

This is settling in nicely. It seems like it follows the original almost verbatim now. It had just been so long since i watched the original that i forgot the rythym. I do like the strategy aspect of it. Thats something you don't always get in action series.

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This is turning out to be a decent mini-saga. Thoroughly enjoyed the Iserlohn arc. However, I suspect this will be the end of Yang's contributions. Surely the Navy won't let him retire this easy. Reading up a bit on the original adaptation, I can understand that this adaptation is avoiding the finer details and jumping straight into the main narrative, which isn't much of a problem for me since I've hardly seen the original. Also it's hard not to root for Yang, though I was of the opinion that this show doesn't have a clear cut antagonist and protagonist but two individuals, Yang and Reinhard, who easily slip into both roles depending on the point of view.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this show to the fullest, being my very first space opera and all. Also too many German references in this show.

Classic Yang:

[​IMG]