Good Free Games on Steam?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Narippo, May 23, 2016.

1. Narippo

Narippo Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

Hey,
    I am always looking at new games to play, and I need to stop spending ma moneyyyy :3

Any games out there that you would strongly recommend that are free?
    I am not usually a fan of the indie RPG style games.
    I am more looking for 'less popular' free games (So not games like DOTA, LoL, TF2 etc...)

Cheers :)

2. Kakuri

Kakuri The Disappointment
    Gold Founder

As long as you're in America, you could try TERA. The Steam version is region locked to the states, I believe. Still, I picked it up before they did that so I still access it. :D

It's a free MMO that stands out from most. I'm not really a massive MMO fan, but the world looks really nice and it's fairly fun to join a guild and wander around together. The combat is also different from your typical lock on and click buttons affair, which is pretty nice.

3. Narippo

Narippo Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

Ahh damn, I am in the UK. Shame :/

4. Kakuri

Gold Founder

Ah. Well, you could always download the game from the EU link here:
    http://en.tera.gameforge.com/news/index

After that, you can just create a shortcut to the game on Steam by adding it as a 'non-Steam game'. That should work well enough.

5. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

I would strongly advise you to never DL MMOs from Steam, It's just asking for problems. DL such from the MMO's official sites instead.

With that said, I suggest Ragnarok Online(It's still byfar the best MMO ever made) Here's the official site: http://www.playragnarok.com/

Atlantica Online(this has a pretty expensive cash shop, but everything can be basically bought with ingame currency as well. Here's the official site for that as well: http://atlantica.nexon.net/

and

DDO(It's Free to play now sort've, but at the later levels, you may want to buy some perm quest unlock, because unless they changed it, there's not a lot of higher lv quests, for free players to do) Here's the official site: https://www.ddo.com/en

Psychotika likes this.
  6. Akio

Akio Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

TERA was okay, it lasted longer for me than many MMO games. Ragnarok looked okay but I have not tried.

Long live Dragon Nest!
    No free MMO will ever beat the combat system. I do not want to play a combat themed MMO where the combat is exactly the same as every other MMO, not even slightly engaging, and the most repetitive thing imaginable.

7. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Then DDO Isn't for you lol, It's your typical MMO battle system, but just with a better quest system then most quest based MMOs/

However yea, check out the other two.

8. Kakuri

Gold Founder

You could also try Planetside 2. It amazingly replicates the feeling of being in a massive space war with hundreds of soldiers. Not that I've personally experienced that IRL (yet). It's free and on Steam, so worth checking out.

9. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Planetside 2 is indeed great! You can do very well without any microtransactions since the default weaponry is pretty solid. And they just added base buidling, so that's great too.

Kakuri likes this.
  10. Kakuri

Gold Founder

Base building? Woah, sounds neat. I might have to jump back in and check it out. I admit, I haven't played it in a while, but I certainly have fond memories of it. Even though I'm terrible at shooters, flying around in a massive carrier with the squad was very fun indeed.

11. Narippo

Narippo Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

Sorry, A lot of you have recommended MMO's :p I appreciate the suggestions, but unfortunately, I am not a fan of those style of games either :p
    For free games I prefer the single player games.

Got any good gems?

12. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

Warframe: It's a fairly popular non-stickiy third-person shooter on Steam. Basically, you're a space-ninja with super powers and you need to go through several ordeals to help your cause. I personnally invested 450h on that game. It's enjoyable when you play with friends, but I must admit it is also a grindfest, so you'll either have purchase Platinum to purchase stuff from players who actually grinded, or get the equipment yourself.

Tree of Savior: I am not suggesting to play this game competitively, but to at least explore it a little. It's got an interesting world to parkour. It's also taken several aspects from another game called Ragnarok Online (ToS is actually a spiritual descendant from RO).

Otherwise...Steam summer sales are coming next month...RIP wallet.

13. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

Good free games on Steam that aren't multiplayer aren't super common, but there are a few.

Clicker Heroes - It's basically an idle game (think Cookie Clicker) with an RPG type of theme to it. It's not really an RPG, it's just the theme.

Adventure Capitalist
    - Same kind of deal as Clicker Heroes. Another idle game with a different theme.

Yeah if I kept going on, you'd be getting a lot of idle game recommendations. Can I recommend some free games outside of Steam?

14. Psychotika

Psychotika Newbie
    Platinum Founder

WUTTT you play Atlantica? For how long?

Back on topic:

There are a few F2P games that I enjoyed - though to be honest, not really on steam (though they can be found on steam)

• Heroes of the Storm (but you said you weren't really looking into this type)
    • Mabinogi (sandbox style, fantasy life type game)
    • Blade and Soul (though I'm on a break because of Overwatch)
    What I really enjoyed about Blade and Soul was the art in the game, and the combat system was fairly easy to get into. I played a summoner because you get a cat companion that helps you fight!

Black Rose was okay. It has the same combat style as Blade and Soul, but you get a TON of character customization.

#14 Psychotika, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  15. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Steady like? 2 or 3 years. Nowhere near as long as I played RO, but I got pretty damn far, and a great team of characters as well as the a +10 high lv Minotaur Axe(what a beast that weapon is lol)

Oh yea, I also have the best title in the game(the LE title given out during a clan dungeon event contest, for being in the highest ranked clan.

16. Psychotika

Psychotika Newbie
    Platinum Founder

Nice! I use to work on that game - though not since 2014.

17. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Yea I haven't been playing since around that time myself.

18. Karnage

Karnage Active Member
    Platinum Founder

I haven't touched the free to play games in a long time, but if steam is the service you like check out 3rd party providers like Bundlestars or G2A. I've made plenty of purchases on both sites and never had any issues. Although I recommend you always buy with the 'Shield' when using G2A to guarantee a safe purchase.

Out of the 162 games I have, most have been cheap purchases on these sites or typical steam sales. too much of a scrooge to pay full price.

Narippo likes this.
  19. B_Raiden_

B_Raiden_ Your local neighbourhood fedora flipping weeaboo

Agreed PlanetSide 2 is a good free game imo

20. Akio

Akio Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

I played Planetside 2 for a bit when it first came out. Maybe it is better now. I seemed to recall it was a good idea but like all multiplayer online based games, the gameplay was lacking. I think I might try it again if there are still people playing it.