Got a seat for me?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by wikkid, Mar 1, 2019.

1. wikkid

wikkid Newbie

Hello! My name is Grace- I go by a few handles on the net, one of which being wikkidgrace which is a reference to a card game from the Dragon Age series (which I love to bits.) Anyway, that's not so important. What is important is that I thought I'd see what this community was about! So here's a little about myself.

I've been a dirty casual anime fan since my early teens- I believe my first anime was indeed Furuba and I'm excited about its upcoming reboot! I seem to be in constant catch-up mode. As much as I enjoyed anime, life always tends to come first for me, and my interests are a bit scattered away from Otakuland. Some days I'll dote over a good book, spend my morning doing yoga with Enya, or go ham in some video game. I'm shamelessly addicted to skincare and spend (probably) too much money on Korean products. I've written long-winded fanfictions since I was 13 and have no plans to stop- in fact, I rather enjoy writing in general.

Currently, I'm occupied watching A:TLA for the first time (I know, don't give me that look,) with my boyfriend of 8 years. We tend to watch just about everything together and it's awesome. We're expecting our first in early August and it's a girl! I'm secretly hoping she's a week or so late so we can share a birthday, since mine is also in August. But for now we just have a kitten to enjoy and he's got plenty of babyness to go around. Just wish he would quit pouncing on my abdomen.

I've gotten considerably better at introductions over the years, but now I tend to write a little too much. So I'll just go ahead and stop here. Happy to chat about probably anything. Cheers.

Kuze likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Woooh! New member. Welcome aboard and be sure to have a great time in the discussions.

But who is Enya and what's the connection to yoga?

3. wikkid

wikkid Newbie

Thank you @Kuze and a pleasure to meet you. Enya is an Irish singer with the voice of an angel. Her music is graceful and I find it calming, so it helps me breathe during my morning routine. :) You've most surely heard one or two of her songs, even if you may not realise it was her. She's been around for a few decades.

#3 wikkid, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Kuze likes this.
  4. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Oh wow yes. I've actually heard the 2nd song but never went on to search what the song's title is or who the artist is.

5. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to some of your views.
    If you like Enya then you may also like some of the songs by the group Iona, Edge of the World is a good song to start with.
    See ya around.

6. wikkid

wikkid Newbie

I did the same for a while, too, until I got curious enough to explore it one day and found I really enjoyed a fair chunk of her music. It's often the case with many artists out there. Just giving something new a listen once in a while rarely disappoints me.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check them out! I'm usually someone who enjoys rock and indie sort of music, but something that can transport your mind somewhere peaceful is a holy grail in my opinion.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Welcome @wikkid. A fellow casual anime fan! Like yourself, I've not really acclimated to "otaku" culture instead perferring to look out for particular types of shows that really pique my interest. Perhaps, being around this community for so long, I remember a time when "otaku" was a dirty word, an insult to anime fans everywhere. Now the younger ones have embraced the word, but I can't do it haha. I think "casual fan" has become the dirty word in anime circles. XD. But that's okay too.

Ooooh Enya is awesome. I've actually not encountered anyone from North America who didn't know who she is (Bwuhahah Kuze :p). I think it was after she did some vocals on The Lord of the Rings soundtrack that gave her a lot more exposure.

Enya's been linked to groups like Clannad and Anúna (pronounced Anoona), worth checking out too if you like that style of music. ^^

EDIT: Here is one of Clannad's most well known songs in collaboration with Anuna. The vocalist is Enya's sister Moya Brennan.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Well, I reckon I'm not to blame. Being from a different side of the globe I have the luxury of being ignorant in these matters. :whistle:

Shannon Apple likes this.
  9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Bwuhahaha! But do you?

10. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Hi and welcome! I am a bit extra when it comes to skincare too know how you feel. My goal is to always look as flawless as possible without makeup, since I don't wear makeup to work and I always seem to be at work lately, not fun. It is tricky, hormones are no joke, and diet and vitamins play a big part for my skincare regimen as well as my products and lots of sunscreen I use SPF 50 on my face daily. I glow in the dark haha. Oh and anime and manga is fun too, lol.

I grew up with Enya, my favorite is probably Watermark, one if her earlier album's and reminds me of good times when I was younger. Probably showing my age a bit with that one but hey I am still not showing my age as much as @Dunn x Dolo, hahaha.

11. wikkid

wikkid Newbie

Thank you for the welcome! And you're right, there is nothing wrong with enjoying anime casually unless youre one of those gatekeeper types. :p

You get me. I like that. Do you scream a little inside when you pass the body wash section in the grocery store and see a label reading "2-in-one for face & body"? Because I do.

SPF is a must daily and I wish I could kill the misconception that it's only necessary on sunny days... If you go outside, use SPF, regardless of weather!!

And you're right again with the hormones. That pregnant "glow" everyone seems to glorify? Uh, yeah, the extra oilyness screwed up my routine, thanks.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Shannon Apple likes this.