Great Anime Series With Little To No Fanservice

Ever feel like you can't watch an anime nowadays without it being filled with uncomfortable fanservice? This might help you find a show that is...
Average User Rating:
5/5,
  1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Shannon Apple submitted a new Article:

Great Anime Series' With Little To No Fanservice

Read more about this article here...

2. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

fanservice doesn't really bother me and honestly i like a good fanservice/ecchi anime anime from time to time, paring that the story is good. I can understand how if the show was nothing but pantyshots, big boobs, and random nudity how people wouldn't like it but I'm a guy who values story above all else (it's how i got through spider riders) so a little here and there is no big deal to me

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The thing about fan service is though, if you're not big on the romance comedies, magical girl and slice of life genres you pretty much steer clear of 2/3 of the fan service in a given year, the fan service here being of the sexual kind that is, since fan service has its types like bloody fights, mechs doing cool things and others.

However, I'm not implying that all romance comedies or slice of life shows are fan service or fan service is limited to these genres only. Some slice of show plots are the best in anime. It just so happens that these specific genres amount for most of the fan service.

And of course blatantly ecchi shows that pretend to be romance/comedy shows. These are easy to spot.

ScaryHobo likes this.
  4. wesleyv1

It's safe to say they put it into the genres that work (ie action, comedy, slice of life) so in that aspect they know how to use it

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

We'll I've included one great romance anime (Snow White With The Red Hair) in there that has no fanservice, and I have watched some others too that were awesome. When I write a follow up article, I will include some others, and perhaps will get around to watching some other people's suggestions.

@wesleyv1 I know there are lots of people out there who enjoy this type of fanservice and I don't judge them for it. BUT, there are so many people like me who are like "Nope. Don't want." I was inspired to write this after a conversation in the mod forum, where fans in the 30-ish age group were complaining about how they can't find decent anime anymore without the gross kind of fanservice, or weird undertones involving underage characters or incest. They clearly still like the medium, but are turned off by these things. I wanted to show people that great shows are there, but you kinda have to look beyond those fanservice heavy shows that are strongly advertised.

One thing that irks me is how Crunchyroll pretends to still be be a PG13 website. They are most definitely not, and have no rules on what they have openly available to kids on their catalogue. I don't have a problem with them showing R-17 shows if they mark them ALL as mature content, but they don't. Some of their shows are definitely hentai-lite, not ecchi. Super Lovers, is a pedophile anime with a grown man grooming a little child and having a full sexual relationship with him by the time he turns 13. (People argue that he's older because they want to feel better about it, but he's not). While it was airing, CR plugged that one like crazy on social media. When you see what the likes of CR is heavily advertising, you think "no wonder that people who haven't been actively watching anime in recent years think it's all gone to hell."

ScaryHobo likes this.
  6. wesleyv1

Well that's what happens when you only watch mainstream/current/popular anime. You start concluding false deductions about the entire spectrum. It's like drinking an orange soda, deciding that you dislike it, then deciding you dislike all soda based on this one outing

7. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Family friendly anime. Hard to come by...Wanted to show my family SAO but then remembered those rapey bits towards the end.. and that one lapdance.

But when are we getting an article about "Great Anime Series With Tons of Fanservice"?

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

You're assuming that people actually have the time to watch a whole bunch of anime. Many of the people I described above, people in that 30+ age bracket, have careers as well as significant others + children. They're not people who are new to anime. They are people who watched it religiously when they were younger. They might get the chance to watch anime here and there, but they just don't have the time to dedicate to it that they used to. They watch a few shows that are currently hyped up, they find that they're all muck and they form an opinion and then lose all faith in the anime industry. This is a perfectly normal reaction. Some people right here on this forum who have been fans of anime for most of their lives felt like that. I think they might have changed their minds now though because there are those of us who can make decent recommendations for them.

I actually have a lot of time on my hands since I'm currently off work awaiting possible surgery. Mind you, I don't dedicate most of my time to anime, or anything like that. I just have more time to look at what's out there and pick something that I know will be good, then watch it. I used to feel like those other guys though because I was one of those people with an extremely busy commute-work-commute-eat-sleep kinda schedule.

9. wesleyv1

I'm not a slave to it either, i have other things going on too but I'm just saying that 9 times out of 10 the situation is they pick a mainstream show thinking it must be good because a lot of people are talking about it only to watch it, think it sucks, then blame the industry. It's stupid, illogical, and a wast of time. You bring up that they don't have time to watch anime like they used to do to family, work, etc. I get that i do, times change, people change, priorities change but honestly that still doesn't excuse their ignorance.....atleast not to me

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I think its kinda typical of the entertainment industry as a whole. You tend to stick with what you know for fear of wasting time on something that might suck. Be it music, movies, games, books, whatever.

Going outside your comfort zone is difficult. You just dont have time to devote to the act of Discovery. Its a shame too. I tend to get into ruts too.

But that why forums like this exist. I wouldn't normally pick something like yuru yuru before i joined our group on the old site. I was just ecchi, ecchi action. Thrn i learned about the likes of spice and wolf and clannad and have learned to appreciate other types of series.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

käwäii and Shannon Apple like this.
  11. ScaryHobo

ScaryHobo Harem Master

I feel like most shows in the Shonen category fit this. I'm a huge fan of Ace of the Diamond, Haikyu!!, and Hajime no Ippo. I was a huge fan of ERASED too. Tsukigakirei was pretty good last year, and I don't think it had any fanservice -- it was a "realistic" romance. Say "I love you" is one of my favorite romances too, and I don't think it had fanservice either.

Over the years, I have always hated fanservice, but I forced myself to watch shows with it because I would really like the show. One show where I could NOT get over the ridiculous fanservice was stupid Kill la Kill: it was just stupid, ruined the show for me.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

They should stop anime-hunting on reddit then.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Oh two quick recs:

Monthly girl
    Your lie in april

Thr first is a cute romcom. The second is a super drama show. Super worth it.

ScaryHobo and Shannon Apple like this.
  14. ScaryHobo

ScaryHobo Harem Master

yoda I remember you recommending me monthly girl!! I love that show!! Your Lie in April is one of my favorite shows of all time -- I've seen it twice :)

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Woohoo! Glad to hear it :)

I don't think ive yet rewatched a sad series.

16. wesleyv1

I have

Rumbling hearts
    Kanon
    Blue drop

I'm not heartless i swear, just.....odd

17. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I wouldnt put rumbling hearts (kimi shika iranai/the eternity you wish for) on the list since there are more than a few sex scenes. Though I dont know if the US release was censored or not? I watched it years ago before it was ever licenced.

Id also add
    Arjuna (super obscure, its like if madoka and captain planet had a baby)
    Princess Jellyfish/kuragehime (yay dorky girls being awesome)
    My love story/ore monogatari (pure romance, and pure diabeetus, also theres a tree that looks like a butt)
    Super Gals ( fasionable girls learning life lessons, and looking good doing it)
    record of lodoss war (anime D&D crack, with an amazing op)
    escaflowne (if you havent seen this, get on it!)

Ill add more when I think of them.

18. wesleyv1

I had the save version and i remember both and they were at least done tastefully

19. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I agree, but you never know how someone else is going to feel about it.

20. wesleyv1

I hate the whole "nudity = fanservice/ecchi" mentality, it ultimately comes down to how it's used. Like in a comedy bathroom scenes are typically done for fanservice but in a drama/romance bathroom scenes can be pretty emotional