Grunge and Hair Metal - Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Music' started by GameCube, Jun 19, 2017.

1. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

http://www.sakugacity.com/threads/do-you-like-post-rock.108/

Well, to be honest, who could blame Grunge for that? Anyway, what do you guys think of Marilyn Manson's claim that - Grunge was the death of rock? Myself, I never cared of hair bands and the like, but such opinions are very subjective. Anyway, some stuff like from Ozzy's guitarist Randy Roades was quite advanced, not a hack job.

2. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Wasn't it Rob Zombie who claimed grunge killed rock and roll? Nonsense about anti-rockstars giving rise to rapstars and the decline of rock. I don't recall Manson ever saying something like that. I do recall him attempting to lay claim to coining the term, 'grunge,' though, which is just an outright lie. It was being used at least a decade in the US before he ever used it.

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Elvis killed Rock And Roll.

Scruffie likes this.
  4. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

The reason why someone would say Grunge was the death of rock, is a combination of things happening.

Grunge helped bring Alternative to the mainstream, a genre/movement that was almost entirely underground until the 90's. So people think it killed "true" music.

Also Grunge spawned off Post-Grunge, which was when bands who wanted to sound like the Grunge guys, and was MTV trying to market a bunch of bands who all dressed and sounded the same. Just like how Hair Metal was in the 80's, and Emo bands in the 2000's.

5. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

The only Grunge I like are Alice in Chains, though I prefer to group them up with metal.

6. Grungie

Contributor

Grunge is a weird "genre" anyway, because it really was just a scene of bands from Seatttle that mixed multiple genres into their own sound. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were almost nothing alike.

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

That's some hardcore hip levels there if the post came before the actual movement.

I feel like anything not metal, or rock, but in that style kind of blurs into amorphous styles like "art rock." Noone has really developed a vocabulary for this stuff outside inserting more adjectives in front of the well established styles.

Anyways I'm not convinced Rock was killed off, we're seeing a resurgence of the more blues and southern inspired rock with Black Keys, Rival Sons, Nathan Rateliff and a seemingly never ending list.

If anything is killing any genre off it's pretty much the heavily commercialized stuff. The music gets turned into a formula and is copied a billion times until there is no soul left.

8. Grungie

Contributor

That's not necessarily true. These "adjectives" you're describing indicate subgenres in established genres, and usually these have more distinct styles within the major genre. Like how Hardcore Punk is a distinct version of punk, and is distinct from say Folk Punk or Pop-Punk.

Also a term like art rock is silly as it isn't really a genre, but more of a label. It's a label for rock music that either doesn't use conventional song structures and/or compositional techniques. Since that's incredibly broad, it does make sense to create genres with artists that sound very similar to each other that fits the vague definition of art rock. That's why we have genres like Progressive Rock, and Shoegaze.

People who over-exaggerate the nature of genre labels are either speaking out of ignorance, or are too exposed to people from /mu/ who love creating genre labels that don't exist. Post-Progressive Dad-core is not a real genre.

9. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

I and my nephew came to the same conclusion. It's really not very good stuff. Do you think post-grunge is over now? Anyway, I never heard of Emo bands in the 2000s. What are some examples?

10. Grungie

Contributor

Fallout Boy
    My Chemical Romance
    Taking Back Sunday
    Panic! at the Disco
    Cute is What We Aim For
    Paramore
    Hawthorne Heights

Similar to how MTV in the mid 90's were marketing bands left and right with flannel shirts, the 2000's was guys with the emover and guyliner.