Sci-Fi Gundam - Iron blooded Orphans - season 2

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Only a month away from season 2 of Mari Okada's Gundam - Iron Blooded Orphans. Season 1 was the surprise hit of 2016 for me. Going in with very little expectation I was blown away by it and it still stands as the second best show of 2016 so far for me. I am a little worried about season 2 though. Season 1 ended perfectly with no need for a continuation of the story which makes me worried about what they're going to do with season 2. On the other hand the entie staff remains the same and well in Mari Okada I trust.

So what's your guys opinion on this? Do you think it's gonna be as good as season 1 or is it just gonna be another needless sequel?

Teaser:

2. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

While I'm always happy to see a new Gundam series, I have mixed feelings about Iron Blooded Orphans.
    It's just the nature of the show I guess because it's about Orphans finding a place in life and bonding together, etc.

Gives it that same appeal as ZZ Gundam truthfully.

What makes me dislike this series is really the idea of child soldiers and orphanage.
    ZZ Gundam touches upon that in the beginning, but sheds the heavy handedness of it over time with connotations on how that would affect a person. Basically, my thoughts on the matter is that Judau is a better character than Mikazuki.
    Even 00 Gundam touches on this stuff, especially with Setsuna, but it was handed far better in my opinion.

Iron Blooded Orphans kinda double downs on the "orphans" stuff sooooo much that I came to slowly dislike the series over time. It's like, "yeah, I get it." But they keep on going back to it over and over and over and over again. It was starting to get stupid.

3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I'm a huge gundam fan. I really like this series better than the others that came before/after this. Gundam Reconquista in G was brutal to try to finish and Gundam Thunderbolt is missing a bunch of crap.

I like the story to this and I like the characters. I agree with @Shi that mikazuki is pretty terrible as the main character. He is pretty much a yes man with an almost gay relationship for orga. I love the battles and stuff but I find orga so much more interesting to follow.

Either way I do enjoy this series for what it is. As long as they don't make any more shows like gundam build fighters then I'm content.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

1st episode is out.

5. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I liked Build Fighters, although I understand why people wouldn't. I look forward to seeing more installments of Build Fighters.

As for Iron-Blooded Orphans, well, I always did want to watch the first S1, and now I guess I have to since S2 was released, although we have yet to see how good S2 is, like how Kerberos mentioned, it might just have been unnecessary.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

S2 might've been not strctly speaking necessary but DAYUM is it goooood!!! Definitally check it out if you liked season 1.

I watched one ep of Build Fighters. It was fine. It's one of those family friendly Gundam shows and that's cool. I mean if kids get hooked on Gundam through shows like Build Fighters and then when they're older move on to stuff like IBO then that just means they get to see more Gundam which is always good imo.

Mind you though comparing Build Fighters to IBO is like comparing Pokemon to Battlestar Galactica. One is a family friendly tournament show. The other one an adult oriented space epic that pulls no punches in it's depiction of intergallactic war. Those two aren't even in the same ballpark.

OctalKey likes this.
  7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Just caught up with this show. I don't have any words.

I'll reserve my thoughts on season 2 as a whole for an upcoming piece I've been planning for a while now but I really do wanna talk about the latest ep

HOLY FREAKING FUCK

LAFTER!!!!!!!

SOMEBODY WILL HAVE TO PAY!!!! BADLY!!!!

No but seriously this show keeps ripping out my soul and crushing it in its palm. And this episode might've been the worst so far. Lafter's brutal death really came out of literally nowhere. With the previous deaths (oh god there've been so many already) you at least knew sometime in advance someone was going to kick the bucket. And it wasn't always who you thought it was going to be. (I honestly thought Takaki was gonna buy it instead of Aston) but at least you knew something bad was gonna happen. This was a pretty slow and quiet episode right up to the point that it wasn't anymore.

I can't even imagine knowing how the writer must've felt writing that absolutely beautiful scene between Lafter and Akihiro where she's so full of hopes and is like "I'm gonna carry on Naze and Ma'am's legacy" knowing full well that later in the episode they'd have to write her death. Honestly I don't think even Urobuchi ever pulled something as brutal as this.

I really wonder what's gonna happen to The Turbines now. Maybe Azee will carry on Naze's legacy instead of Later. And maybe Lafter's ideal will carry on in Akihiro. Though I can also see Akihiro just losing it and just slaughtering everyone. This show is definitally hardboiled and ruthless enough to pull something like that.

Either way next episode is gonna be one hell of a ride. I hope that Jasley guy will die very slowly and very painfully. Though I'm also pretty sure that this pretty much certain victory is gonna feel like a crushing defeat. Like when the assholes that did Aston in got punished but at the expense of Takaki's innocence.

Damn I don't think I've ever watched an anime that had me so engrossed while also ripping my soul out time and again. Every time you think things are finally looking up it just pulls out the rug from under you. This show just keep punishing it's viewers but does so in a way that makes it utterly engrossing to watch. Goddamn! What a show! What a goddamn mindblowingly awesome show!

Also as an aside: the new OP is fantastic but pretty spoilery if you haven't seen the first half of season 2 yet. So like don't look it up on yt or anything.

Edit: This is from Anime News Network:
    IBO in a nutshell.

#7 Kerberos, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  8. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Is this shit just a better version of Valvrave? I say this tongue-in-cheek. I really am thinking over buying the dvd for s1! Hopefully s2 doesn't cheat you Kerberos, it seems like you aren't a complete masochist and actually desire a fulfilling conclusion to a storyline...I'm looking at you Valvrave >.>

#8 OctalKey, Feb 6, 2017
  9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I haven't seen Valvrave but I'd say in terms of how it treats violence and death this show is very similar to Game of Thrones back when it was still good.

And yes, please buy it. It's so worth the purchase and I recommend supportiing this show in any way you can. I personaly don't buy Gunpla (ironically enough I'm really not into mechs) but I'm definitally gonna buy the blu ray for this one when it comes out. And I'm gonna pick up the OST pretty soon as well. I'm getting sick of listening to the few tracks I can find on yt over and over.

#9 Kerberos, Feb 6, 2017
  10. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Well I never liked the GoT television series, I preferred the novels, but I did enjoy the Telltale Games videogame of GoT, funnily enough.

I'll get into Gunpla one day, I haven't invested myself into the models as much as I have liked to yet.

Yep, def going to get the DVD.

Kerberos likes this.
  11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the tv-show was good in its early days but as the novles got more and more complex ad philosophical the show just got more and more banal with obscene amounts of gratuitous violence. So for the most part, yeah I agree, the novels are far superior.

OctalKey likes this.
  12. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

Truly, the novels became considerably deep given the sheer amount of characters and subplots. The tv show was consistently shallow in its violent sadism towards the characters, and that shit pissed me off, especially because I never supported the show in the first place and as it began to grow on me, it just devolved into shit.

Sorry, I feel very strongly here xD also sorry for derailing thread

Kerberos likes this.
  13. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Okay so the latest episode was a combination of brilliant and welll...not so brilliant.

The big twist this episode was that McGillis is a war oprhan exactly like the members of Tekkadan. In fact looking at his backstory it's truly frightening to see how many parralels exist between him and especially Orga. Like Orga he was a powerless kid suddenly thrust into a position of greta pwer and resposibility. Which honestly...makes me feel very scared for how Orga ill turn out by the end of the show.

The fact that Tekkadan and Kudelia are now on complete opposite sides of the conflict is an absoulte masterstroke. Both Tekkadan and Kudelia for all their power are just playthings in the hands of the opposing Gjellarhorn factions. And honestly between those two it's impossible to pick a side. Rustal Elion is a corrupt bastard who's indirectly repsonsible for the death of several beloved characters. But his adjudant is honestly one of my favourite characters in the series and one of the few characters who truly embodies that sense of true chivalry, standing in stark contrast to the cold blooded killers of Tekkadan and the ruthless politicians at Gjellarhorn.

And on the other hand we have McGillis. A downright sociopath but the only one capable of granting our beloved war orphans what they've truly desired since the start of the show. Not to mention that if McGillis wins the war it means a downright victory for the repressed of society. Marking the first time in this fictional world's history where someone from the lowest regions of society managed to climb up to become a world leader. But on the other hand let's not forget that this is the man who betrayed his best friend. An honorable man who's stood by him through every sordid move he made. And I so want Gaelio to exact his vengenace on McGillis. Wh to choose? The noble aristocrat or the sociopath commoner? The person or the ideal?

It's this kind of stuff that makes Iron Blooded Orphans a standout show even amongst other standout shows.

On the not so brilliant side, I'm really starting to lose track of what's up with all the Gundams in this show. Maybe it's because I'm not actually a mecha fan but the amount of talk about various Gundams and their importance is just making me shake my head in disbelief.

All the same though this episode was another extremely sollid entry in the series and has me already wondering how the series will develp from here.

@OctalKey It's interesting you mentioned Valvrave the Liberator since I only know that show for one thing which apparently it did all wrong.

child rape

And now Iron Blooded Orphans has done the same thing but in my opinion in a very tasteful manner that in no way condones it. From what I heard Valvrave was just edgy for the sake of being edgy while IBO actually wants to make a point with the controversial stuff it depicts.

14. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I watched Valvrave a while ago, I don't even remember that part. Valvrave was hella' edgy though, and I feel like I was cheatd of a genuinely good storyline because of how stupidly dark and unsatisfying the decisions for the plot were even though I had become really interested in the plot...MATTER OF FACT

*glances to Aldnoah Zero*

YOU.

If IBO has utilized that very serious concept in a manner that denounces it, I'll keep that in mind as I inevitably feel outraged for even viewing this concept in a mecha anime.

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

IBO isn't like most other mech anime I've seen. It's really more of a sci fi show. You could replace the mechs with any kind future vehicle and nothing would really change.

16. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

I see it more like the Knightmares from Code: Geass. The mechs are there to serve a purpose for the storyline, not the central focus for the storyline, like other Gundams.

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Crunchyroll Streams Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans With English Dub

Crunchyroll announced on Tuesday that it will begin streaming the English-dubbed version of the Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans anime.

Crunchyroll will add five new dubbed episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans every Tuesday at 10:00 p.m. EST starting on February 28. The episodes will be available for all members in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa, the Middle East, and North Africa.

Further read: here

18. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Alright before I start MAJOR SPOILERS like so major if you read this you're going to ruin the entire second season for yourselves. (and the first season if you haven't seen that either yet) So simply don't if you're not caught up.

So curtain call came for Orga. I can't say I was really all that surprised since I saw this coming from about the moment the second half of this season started. In fact I'm more amazed it didn't happen about five episodes ago. Still it was an incredibly intense and heartbeaking scenes seeing the life slowly vanish from his body as he spoke his final words. Compared to most character deaths in IBO this was a surprisingly dignified ending but it suited the character and I think he deserved a dignified exit. (not that Lafter, Biscuit or any of the others didn't but y'know)

I felt the set up too was amazingly done. From Orga's Ocean Eleven style breakout from the warzone to his hopeful talk to Makanai (was it him who actually ordered the hit?) to the reveal tha Azee had taken over the trubines which literally made me jump up from my seat going wooot! And then his hopeful monologue only for that to be mercilessly cut short as half a dozen bullets pierced right through him. It was a masterstorke of build up and clever, emotional writing. This was Iron Blooded Orphans at its finest and a worthy end to one of the best characters in anime.

Goodbye Orga. We'll miss you.

It's gonna be interesting to see where the show is gonna go from here. Orga was the glue that held Tekkadan together and now they need a new leader. Personally I'm hoping Mikazuki is gonna come into his own and become the new head of Tekkadan. Especially in this second half of the season we;ve seen a much more empathetic side of him and he's shown himself to be not just the muscle but a guy who actually really thinks about what he's doing. On the other hand McGillis is definitely more of a born leader though I wonder if he can steer Tekkadan in the right direction. Either way it's gonna be very interesting to see what happens from here on out.

It's intersting to see how this season started off a bit messy and unsructured and than came back stronger than ever. And oddly enough, despite er...recent developments I still feel like there's plenty of material left for another season of IBO. Theoretically it is possible though I admit the odds are rather slim.

#18 Kerberos, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So after last week's powerhouse of an episode this week was a little dissapointing in some places.

First the stuff I did like:
    McGillis's death was handled beautifully with his life slowly expiring while Gaelio begs him not to say what he really wants to say. Gaelio's definitely one of the more interesting characters in this show imo. From his very humanist and noble god origins to his single minded determination to take bloody vengeance on his old friend that reid to murder him. He's now succeeded and killed McGillis but it very much seems like at the last moment he realize just how pointless it all was. The question is, what will he do now? Will he see the error of his ways and honor McGillis by carrying out his plan or will he shove aside those feelings and place himself amogn the ruling elite of Gjellarhorn as society dictates his place to be?

The finale of Iron Blooded Orphans is not a happy one and I don't think it ever could've been. IBO is a story of a small group of people trying to bring about social and political change but if history has ever taught us anything than it's that, that is not something that happens overnight. Lots of fiction tries to sell you on the idea that a small group of people van forever change history. IBO on the other hand seems to act more on the idea that the ideas behind any revolution can change the coursoe of history even if the revolutionaries themselves fail. And it's interesting to see who will take over the philosophy of Tekkadan and McGillis. Ellion for now seems to remain the undisputed leader of Gjellarhorn and the ruling elite remains in place. But for how long? What Tekkadan and McGillis did was plant a seed and show the world that these supposedly onmipotent elite aren't really all that omnipotent. It's gonna be interesting to see what will gro from that seed. Assuming ofc that we even get to see that with only one episode left.

Now for the not so good:
    I completely understand why McGillis had to die as with his death the last root of the revolution expired. It served a narrative and thematic purpose. What I don't get at all tbh though is why Hush had to die. This episode was all about the failed revolution againt Gjellarhorn and how the elite remain in place even though their authority is now put into question. And we already had a tragic character death with Orga last episode. So why did Hush have to die? The impact of his death was literally nil so it served no narative purpose and with the emphasis on thsi show being on McGillis and Gjellarhorn it didn't serve any thematic purpose either. It feels like it was just put in so the show could have another dramatic death scene and honestly it didn't need it. Iron Blooded Orphans isn't a show you watch just to see who gets to die this episode. It's smarter and more nuanced than that. You watch it for the thematic ideas, the worldbuilding and the character arcs. Tragic deaths are a part of IBO but they're not vital to the show. It feels like the show is trying to have it's cake and bloody well eat it too.

Hush's death just felt redundant. So far each death scene in the show felt meaningful in one way or another. From Biscuit screaming he doesn't want to die because he still has so much to live for, to Lafter's out of the blue gutpunch of a deathscene to Shino's heartbreakingly pointless death as the last hope for a victory deis with him to Orga's surprisingly diginified death as he calmly walks to the future right uto the point he can't walk no more. Hush's death was just cheap melodrama. It was almost an exact replica of Orga's death but without any real meaning to it. When Orga said he'd meet up with them later it mattered because he was their leader, hush was just another soldier. he as a god character but his arc asnt over yet and this feels like a terrible way to end his story.

That's as far as my write up goes this week. I'm really hoping the finale will make up for this episode's shortcomings and give us the epic conclussion this show deserves. That beign said I still feel like this show is far from over. 50 episodes is pretty much the max even for a Gundam show but I know the really popular Gundams continued in offshoot movies and OVAs so I'm really hoping IBO will as well. Because even depite this finale being one major slaughterfest I still feel like there's plenty of story left to tell with these characters in this world and I'd love to see that one day.

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor