Gungrave

Discussion in 'Anime' started by yoda313, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Seconding 91 days, purely because it comes across as Firo from Baccano! back story.

Terrible fan theory.

yoda313 likes this.
  2. Neon Walrus

Neon Walrus Mad Clown Disease
    Contributor Gold Founder

Pretty much. My thoughts on said theories are that some of these people may have confused Easter Eggs with in universe content.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Got back to it finally. Watched ep 7 and 8. Man i cant help the cowboy bepop vibes i get from watching this. Yeah i know its not really the same but its just a feeling.

The end of 8 was pretty moving. Hard to believe a crime drama could get so emotional :D and what about that sunset man! You almost think those only happen in movies but tjis whole week ive been seeing amazing sunsets just about every night. I took some great shots at a local lake last friday night and just had some phenomenal shots tonight. If only i had gotten out of work a little earlier i could have gotten some truly epic ones.

Back to the show. These underground ones are kinda entoxicating. A secret world you can groove on but would never want to live in. Though keanu reeves was saying hed want to be in the john wick world in the jw2 commentary. If you were as invincible as he is in thst reality i suppose. But if you were a fraction less than that youd be a gonner no time flat.

Some other similar series i like:

Gunslinger girls
    009-1
    Bubblegum crisis
    Noir
    Cowboy bepop
    91 days - previously mentioned.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ok im obviously going slow with this one. Not because i dont like it but just because it's not intense exactly but i kinda get burnt out faster on these then lighter shows. Actually i haven't marathoned much lately either. Oh i still keep current with my three new series and i do watch random eps of my collection but i haven't purposely sat through four or more eps in a row in a quite a while. I guess i want to keep the series around a little longer.

Anyway a question on ep 11 into 12:

so its a 3 year jump?

And how did brandon get so talkative? I was like wtf?

I do like it :) in fact im going to ho watch the last ep of cowboy bepop because ive been thinkibg about it every time ive watched this show.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I finished ep 20!

Im really liking how dramatic this is. Its still action but its actually got character. There were some very poignant moments in it.

Its nice its an anthology too. Its not just a single point in time. The drama part is what i really liked with the character interaction. The intricate backstory makes it pretty involving..

I really do compare it to cowboy bepop in terms of feels. Its an ensemble albeit cb is a bit of a smaller cast. You really do develop an attachmemt to the principals.

I look forward to finishing it.

6. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

Gungrave's twisted camaraderie and its theme of rising to the top from the bottom was what hooked me.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

A three musketeers deal :D

Definitely great character interactions.

8. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

Best character?

Best character.

9. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

In the show, possibly.

But only a fraction of badassery to his other self:
    [​IMG]

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ha he's the smoking man :D (-x files humor there :)) hes definitely got enough swagger for two or three series combined!

I want to finish it this weekend. Thats the plan.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I just finished it.

Wow.

The ending dragged a little bit. But more like how return of the king dragged.it was a good drag mostly.

I never thought id be close to tears at the end of this when i started it. If anything i thought theyd be tears of joy from a great action series. Wow this really surprised me.

How long does this series cover harry and brandon? I mean from episode 1 not any of the flashbacks. Seems like it must be
    30 years maybe?They fo give the age of the bottle they drink at the end but that isnt the time frame .

Wow again. I was just really touched how they treated every character to the end of the series. It was very artfully drawn and filmed like a movie.

Id seriously recommend this as a drama to anyone who wants an anthology that spans decades.i thought it was just a crime shootem up at first. I was very wrong. Not saying its perfect or doesn't have flaws or avoids certain cliches. But its got tons of appeal to its main characters. You actually do care what happens to them.

Nicely done :)