Hachinan tte, Sore wa Nai The Eighth Son? That Can't Be Right Deshō!

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by yoda313, Apr 23, 2020.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_8th_Son?_Are_You_Kidding_Me?

This is a fun one that just started. It starts rather emotionally. It's got a really goofy potential. It will be interesting to see how they balance the seriousness and the goofy.

I kind of hope it doesn't go too fan servicy as it seems like it could be pretty deep. He's a loner with magical power trying to fit in. Magics not uncommon but he's a cut above. Also he's got a chip on his shoulder from coming from a poor novel family. At least that's how I am interpreting him.

#1 yoda313, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Finfan

Finfan Newbie

This is one of those stories where I read the Web Novel before it came out. I liked the anime but they obviously cut a lot of the story out to make it fit into a 12 episode format. Up until the last three episodes they pretty much covered the major plot points. However in setting up the ending I feel they left out too much. I would like to see a second season but I doubt it is going to happen. Just looking at the lack of interest in this thread tells me it wasn't very popular.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It was a bit light on story depth. It seemed a little too easy for the main character. I think overpowered is the right term. It was still enjoyable though just not super riveting.

4. Finfan

Finfan Newbie

A lot of the web novel story is about the MC trying to come to grips with the responsibilities and culture of being a noble. After all Wendolin never expected or wanted nobility. He's just a Japanese Salary Man at heart. Actually in the Web Novel the story got totally bogged down in addressing that although that happened after the point where this series ends.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

There was the line about his magician mentor questioning his reactions as if he didn't belong

A bit more contemplation and fretting would have been welcome. He did have the shock or groan reaction a lot but not a whole lot of introspection. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy it mostly. It just could have been a bit more developed.

6. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Basically took the whole season just to explain what we were seeing in the first episode. There was some interesting progress in Wend’s character plus some manipulation near the end, but no real cliffhanger that would command a second season. Maybe they had an idea that this would be it.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I could see a romance subplot open up. Though they tried a little with consort sequence. It would be nice to have some more emotion come out of the group.

8. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Good point, it has the feel of a bunch of casual acquaintances getting together every now and then rather than a close knit group.

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

The battle tournament was a fun sequence though. If they could do something along those lines it would be interesting.

Also could start a magic academy????