Action Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Novaire, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

[​IMG]
    Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
    Genre: Action

Studio: Satelight

Source: Light Novel

Air Date: January 12, 2018

Synopsis

At first glance, the city of Fukuoka seems like a peaceful one, but under the surface, crime is running rampant. The city's Hakata ward is home to the professionals of the underworld: professional killers, detectives, informants, professional revenge seekers, those skilled in torture, and more. And according to urban legend, a "killer of professional killers" has shown up in the city.

(Source: Anime News Network)

PV

#1 Novaire, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Crunchyroll will be streaming Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. The series premieres Friday, January 12th at 8:00 AM PST with subsequent episodes premiering every week at the listed time.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I needed a third series and this was it. I thought it might be like durarara at first glance. But there aren't any supernatural elements yet. Its a bit quirky for a crime story. Im not sure how its going to turn out. It seems to have a little light side to it but it is a crime show.

Im kinda intrigued by it. Itll be interesting to see where they take it.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Word is out that the Durarara feels are back

yoda313 likes this.
  5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just watched ep2.

Its just on the breaking point of what i can take as far as violence and other ancillary stuff. Its not horrific but its definitely edgier then im used to. If it goes over the edge for me i may drop it. Though the story is very compelling.

I certainly didnt expect this turn. Im certainly interested in where this is going.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens Opening Full - Stray ´╝ĆKishida Kyoudan & The Akeboshi Rockets

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow ep 8 was so cool!

This just shot up way high on my respect meter. I thought it was just a crime drama trying to snatch some of durararas uniqueness. But this episode was really special. Granted it does rely on durararas technique but its developing its own heart. This is a cool band of misfits and bandits.

You could almost give the series the subtitle:

Honor among thieves.

8. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

Tonkotsu Ramens Review

Story 7/10: The story was promising at first. But what I thought was going to be our main character ended up panning out to be someone who was only relevant on certain occasions. I'm okay with an anime having certain arcs to it, but unless the arcs lead to a final conclusion, story line wise I lose interest...luckily the action was so well done in this anime that I never lost interest and the story basically took a back seat to the amount of kick ass moments there were. Plus BASEBALL!!!

Art and Animation 7/10: The art and animation were not anything special. With guts, bloods, and brains spilling, along with heads rolling you would think they would do a little more then Red Sports and Rivers of Blood. The hand to hand combat scenes were done okay but again nothing over the top.

Sound and Music 9/10: The opening and ending were really awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed them. The bgm was slightly above average but still fit the show great.

Characters 9/10: The freaking characters were so enjoyable to watch. Normally an anime with a proficient amount of males turns me off to it, but these guys were freaking awesome! Each in their own unique way.

Enjoyment 8/10: I really enjoyed this anime a lot. It gave me a break from a lot of the cute and dramatic filled anime I have been watching for a while.

Overall 8/10: Overall I can see how people will see flaws in this anime. Is it shelf worthy when it finally gets released on bluray? Maybe, but it definitely worth a watch if your looking for a nice action anime.

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@sora - thats and odd ranking tier you gave it. I basically give it a solid 8 overall. It didn't do anything spectacularly well but it was very well done and enjoyable.

My only real complaint is how they did the simultaneous flashback story mode. If durarara never existed this would be mind blowing storytelling. But unlike the whiplash inducing simultaneous mode durarara goes into there isnt enough multi story elements going on to make it work as excitingly as durarara does. You kind if sit through a long bout of reverse exposition. Its not really a bad thing to me it just doesn't work as well as it does in durarara.

I think the character growth of everyone was great. Most got a backstory of some type. They all had quirks. It was quite enjoyable.

The action was great. The last battle had a weird camera zoom trick thst was cool but hard to describe. It doesn't hold a candle to taboo tatoos Matrix style camera moves. But it is quite enjoyable.

Id say its a great underground society series. It mixes the likes of buddy cop films like lethal weapon and rush hour with gritty action like die hard and anime styles of cowboy bepop and story elements of 91 days. Ok it doesn't exactly cover all of these examples i just gave but those are the memories and feelings that popped up while watching this.

This a fun action series thats well worth watching. :)