Hello There

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Osiris, May 31, 2020.

1. Osiris

Osiris New Member

I was mucking around the Internet searching for a quality forum about anime and movies, and I just stumble across this delightful little place. Liking a lot of what I'm seeing; the discussions, the articles.

I've been a long time anime fan, having seen just about all the big-name titles out there from Steins;Gate to FMA:B to Cowboy Bebop, and even the more niched cyberpunk titles like Ghost in the Shell (and its SAC counterpart) and Serial Experiments Lain. Nowadays, however, I'm just chilling and just watching whatever fits my mood.

Currently, I'm trying to finish the last of the "big-name title" out there among animedom, Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Alongside it, I'm also watching Devilman Crybaby, the latter of which is certainly... unique.

For those interested, here's my anime list. You can have a look at what I've seen so far.
    https://anilist.co/user/Meistro/animelist

On the non-anime side of things, I'm also catching up with three '90s TV series, namely The Simpsons (now on season 4), The X-Files (finished season 3) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (finished season 3). Hoping to catch up with some Futurama and maybe South Park once I've reached the part of the Simpsons when the series went downhill (after season 9).

I also delve into video games as well, having played a lot of Hitman 2 recently, but I'm getting tired of that, so I'll probably move on to visual novels very soon, having recently purchased YOU and ME and HER: A Love Story. Been waiting for that one to be localized for a while ever since I've learned of what it's really about (don't look it up if you don't wanna be spoiled). I might also try to play some more of Chaos;Head as well, having abandoned it a few months ago (after a few hours of reading).

Anyway, that's about all that is interesting about me. One little other extra detail is perhaps my love for movies, and not strictly the anime kind. Movies have been my first love before anime came around, but having little time on my hands, I only allow myself one movie night per week nowadays. My most recent viewing was a rewatch of Charlie's Angels (2000). I gave it a 2.5/5. It didn't age as well as I had hoped. Oh well.

Hope to meet yall and it's nice to be here.

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Welcome aboard fam @Osiris

You have a real interesting anime list man. Very rare to find Flag and Le Chevalier D'Eon in someones list. I'm curious why you dropped Zankyou no Terror though. Felt pretentious at the end? Also why did you drop Psycho Pass as well? As for your planned to watch list, I'd say you should give these ones maximum priority:

> 91 Days
    > Wolfs Rain
    > Jin Roh
    > Koe no Katachi
    > Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
    > Samurai Champloo
    > Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
    > Stranger: Mukoh Hadan
    > Vinland Saga

Some shows that were missing from your list but I feel you should give them a watch are:

Mononoke: Mononoke is a very unique watch in my opinion. A bit of horror and a bit of surreal fantasy.

Witch Hunter Robin: Not sure if you will like it but if you are a fan of the 2000s anime shows, with that decade's style and music (this show has a rock goth vibe) you might probably warm up to this show.

One Punch Man S1: Strictly for the fight scene animations

Paranoia Agent: If you enjoyed shows like Serial Experiments Lain,Texhnolyze and the like, you'll surely like this one as well.

Megalo Box: A more newer show that is like a futuristic homage to Ashita no Joe. If you like boxing and drama you'll enjoy this one.

Osiris likes this.
  3. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Thanks. I first picked up Flag because it sounded like a unique anime, being viewed entirely through a camera. When I finished it, I'm kinda glad I watched it (it's refreshing to see a grounded anime portraying warfare and war journalists in a realistic manner), but it did get a little too bleak for me in the end.

Le Chevalier D'Eon is there because I liked Romeo and Juliet, but also because I heard it's a tragic anime (which of course it is), and I'm a sucker for tragedies.

Yeah, I was in a weird mood at the time. I also dropped the Kino's Journey reboot just one episode before it ended as well, much like Zankyou no Terror. I guess there was just not enough hook to keep me watching, it being overly pretentious being one of the factors, yes. The antagonist just felt so cliched.
    The whole idea of the characters being bred in some evil experiment just threw out all the realism for me in the end.
    That being said...

Zankyou is definitely not as pretentious as Psycho Pass. I would much rather give Zankyou another chance than Psycho Pass (though technically, I'm willing to give the latter another shot as well). I dropped Psycho Pass because I couldn't stand its villain being so... hammy and overdramatic. I've seen my share of megalomaniacal villains, and I'm just so bored of them, but Psycho Pass really takes the cake with its villain preaching pretentious armchair philosophy.

Thanks. I'll keep note of that when selecting my next anime. It usually depends on my mood though, really. (*in Andrew Scott's Moriarty voice*) I'm soooo changeable! lol

I don't know why some of these entries aren't showing up for you on my list. I have seen Mononoke and Paranoia Agent; both of which I greatly enjoyed. Mononoke was definitely very unique, so much so that I've put the prequel it spun off from, Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales on my planned to watch list. Paranoia Agent became one of my favorite anime of all time, particularly with its Japanese post-WWII reflection and how escapism played a part.

As for the rest... to be honest, I prefer psychological shows than straight up action. Shounen anime in particular are a big turn-off for me (which is why I haven't bothered with One Piece, Naruto or Bleach). Most of those just sound like typical anime with a traditional storyline of good vs. evil. I prefer something more ambiguous and thoughtful. No offense. :)

Thanks for the recs though, and thanks for the welcome! Hope to see you around.

#3 Osiris, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Kuze likes this.
  4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Lol, we on the same boat fam. Couldn't bother with the big 3 either.

Osiris likes this.
  5. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Man, it's a shame those are considered the big 3, while Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, on the other hand, is the underrated fourth member of the unsung shounen group. It's one of the few shounen anime I actually liked.

Kuze likes this.
  6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I've never bothered with the "big three" either. When I first joined this community (in it's previous form) around 14 years ago, I was already in college, so was gone past the age that they were aimed at. Since there are so many episodes, that also put me off. I never really understood the appeal for adults, but then, I guess if they've been a fan of something since they were quite young, that helps with keeping them interested.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans is a pretty good series btw. It's standalone from the Gundam Universe. I saw you had one in your planned list. I never got around to watching past season 2 though, something I should do. =)

And Welcome @Osiris. =)

Osiris likes this.
  7. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Yeah, that's understandable, particularly when I grew up with the Detective Conan and Digimon Adventure series, so I too still find appeal in those anime in spite of their shounen nature out of nostalgia. Likewise with Pokemon.

Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Gundam series. Really should give it a shot soon. Even the original Mobile Suit Gundam series had the reputation of being about a criticism of humanity's inherent flaws as selfish creatures, particularly Gundam Seed, so I intend to check those out someday too.

And thanks for the welcome!

Shannon Apple likes this.
  8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I actually haven't watched all of the Gundams. From what I was told at the time, Iron Blooded Orphans was an exceptionally good standalone, and I didn't need to understand the universe, so that was my main reason for picking that one. I do intend to check out some of the older ones also. =)

Osiris likes this.