Hey there.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mantis, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

New here but I do like what I see already. :) Well... I'm a British guy who likes games as well as a fair number of those Japanese animus and mangoes. I've never been great at intro threads, but let's see...

I'm open to most anime genres. I only watch a couple of new shows a year. I'd like to start watching more but despite being open to most genres I can still be picky. For instance, Welcome to the NHK (its main character, Sato, is my avatar) is one of my favourites and can be considered a slice-of-life but I don't enjoy most SOL about high school. (Clannad is great though.)

I haven't been reading much manga at all these days. I do actually have a fair bit of manga I haven't read yet such as Fullmetal Alchemist but never get round to it! I'm thinking of reading through The Walking Dead as I enjoy the TV show and would like to finally try the comics.

My favourite game is Final Fantasy VIII. It's underrated as hell. Any FF fans around here? I enjoy plenty of retro and modern games. (Too many to write in an intro thread! :LOL:)

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Welcome fam. Hope you have a great time here.

Also screw Liverpool init.

3. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Hi. You should probably get around to FMA. It's classic.

4. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

Thanks. I don't really have much of an opinion on Liverpool as I've only been once. Can't see it being a great deal worse than London. Damn that place is a hole.

It's been ages since I watched it but I loved the anime. I also watched Brotherhood but didn't like it that much. I saw it as proof that adaptations often need to be more liberal in their approach. Sometimes trying to directly translate something from one medium to another doesn't work. Having said that, a lot of people like Brotherhood. Guess I'll need to see if the manga's more enjoyable.

5. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Think both adaptations are fantastic. The first requires plenty of stills however still has the gorgeous watercolours. And the second really captures motion and depth.

As great as a mangaka Hiromu Arakawa is, creating the illusion of depth wasn't one of her strong points. However in saying that some of the later parts do have that polish. I suspect it's because talent was brought in to keep the masterpiece that the series is going.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I meant their title winning this year T__T

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi Mantis, and welcome!

Heh, your anime watching habits are pretty similar to my own. I've only ever watched a couple of shows a year as well. I do have a few series on my to watch like that I need to get around to though. I just tend to forget all about them with real life going on.

My favourite Final Fantasy series were VIII and X. Haven't played anything in the series for quite some time though.

Kooz Kooz is football crazy (re Liverpool comment) and assumes every Brit is too, so you'll have to forgive him. XD.