How do you listen to music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Enies, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I've been doing some research for new pair of headphones for home use and IEM's for on the go when Im commuting. So i was wondering for the people who care about the sound quality and the music you listen to, how do you enjoy your music whether at home or on the go?

I've been using my zune hd ever since it first came out in 2009 and it was the best at listening to music at that time. But I've since bought a new phone and so I feel like the quality of the phone and the convenience of having only one device I've stopped using it. It's treated me well it's such a rugged device and it always received unwarranted hate.

But I love the sony walkman app it's well designed and probably the best app I've used for music. Sound quality, is of course great and it supports Hi-res.

The noisy environment Im in while traveling makes me want to buy a pair of ANC headphones but an IEM sounds like a better value for money. For home use I was looking at buying Sennheisers 598cs.

2. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I used to have a Sansa Fuze, I loaded Rockbox firmware to it and was pumping out lossless rips on my walks to and from Uni. I abused the hell out of that little device, out in -40C, out in the rain and snow, I made numerous repairs to it, and it was going strong up until 2 years ago when it stopped working. Was rocking some Sennheiser earbuds, they're in the 100$ range, actually decent bass response I was all about them. Earbuds aren't really worth spending big money on, but some mid-range earbuds make enough of a difference to drop around $100 on.

Now I just use my phone and google play, or load my own music to it. I'm not anal about my everyday audio quality, but there are definitely times I want to actually "listen" to some music and I break out the big guns. Have a couple home built amps, a frankenstein-ed turntable and some salvaged klipschs when I need to blast brain melting jams. I have a couple low end M-audio bookshelf monitors that were really great for general home use like when I'm dicking around with electronics, or doing "housework." for those I ended up fixing the built in amplifier by canning a bad power transformer, and replacing the output amplifier, and it's been pumping nicely along ever since.

For car audio I don't have anything special, I love music but the car isn't the place for me to listen to it. Too many distractions, it's easy for me to get a bit carried away so I typically stick to whatever's on the radio at low volume.

If anyone ever gets into Tube amps: Tubes with solid state power supplies can sound different from old-fashioned rectifier tube power, that Tube sound comes from more than just the amplification and tone stages. Don't get into tubes if you want "faithful" reproductions of your favorite pieces, there is a reason they sound "warmer" and that has to due with the type of distortion they introduce to the output. Tubes are a lot of fun, they're a neat piece to show your friends, and if you like their sound that's great, but for the love of god realize most of the "man Tuuuubbbbbbeeessss" people are idiot elitists.

The stuff I'd have to say about audio is to be reasonable. There's a lot of "audio-phoolery" out there that can pull you in a lot of wrong directions to make you spent retarded amounts of money. Whatever you like is what you like, don't let people tell you otherwise. Also take care of your ears: I've been going through some shit with my ears over the last year and I'm finally starting to be able to hear somewhat normally again.

I'm currently working on some strange stuff at work that's got me thinking about class G amplifiers, so whenever I get back from holiday break I'll probably be building one of those at home as an experiment.

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Preaching to the choir here. Love that thing, still use mine to this day, fantastic battery life, and I'm fairly sure they were built to survive nuclear blasts. I've dropped mine at least a hundred times through sheer stupidity, and it still has very few scratches. It's almost as good as new from a functionality perspective. Recently, the button that delivers quick access to the volume and pausing have stopped functioning. I can still access all of that, so it's not a huge deal, just takes an extra second or so. Still, I dropped a Galaxy once, and that screen basically imploded, so I'd say the Zune takes pole position as my most durable MP3 player.

I'll consider buying a new one eventually, this thing has outlast a ton of cheap headphones, and never gave me any major issues. Speaking of earbuds, I bought a pair of Skull Candy earbuds last years, and I've been very happy with them. Any pair that can last more than a few month with me gets my stamp of approval. I'm sort of like Lennie from Of Mice and Men with headsets. Hell, I managed to cook those new ones ever so slightly, and they work perfectly, so I'd say that's a pretty solid endorsement.

4. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I had a Samsung s6 and i would go back and fourth between listening to music that i had downloaded and pandora, combined with a simple pair of marshmallow brand earbuds and I'd be set.

5. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

My classic iPod. Although I have the ability to use my phone, I choose not to because I would rather not have 35 GB of nothing, but music on my phone. My phone serves other purposes. I actually have not listened to my iPod for a long while. Well, the iPod by itself. I always have it plugged into my car so I can listen over the speakers, but as far as listening to it with headphones....it's been many months. I am actually looking for an album from the seventies that was re-released in 2000 and is currently out of print. Amazing music on that album if I can get the damn thing.

When I'm at home, I usually have a list of music I listen to on YouTube on repeat. I just put on my gaming headphones and surf the net while the music plays in the background. Very relaxing sometimes.

6. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I had a Zune but the cord kept shortening out so I stopped buying them. Now I listen to all my music on my phone. I have to have this specific pair of headphones that I discovered at Family Dollar. Its a White pair of Budz that fits perfectly and has the right amount of noise cancellation. For some reason, only the white pair of that brand does it right. If they have another color then I don't even bother. I need to start buying over the ear headphones since they are safer, but they seem to short out a lot or the music always plays too low.

7. Saturna

Saturna Active Member
    Gold Founder

I use my old Ipod Nano when I go on walks, listen to Spotify, youtube and Pandora and my headset is the Corsair Void USB headset.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Sennhesiers I heard are well reputed but idk about spending 100 dollars on earbuds. I recently foundout that IEM's are different because they insert into your ear canal thus providing better isolation and better sound quality and you can lower the sound to lower volumes.

I don't think you can go wrong with German or Japanese brands but i've been trying to find the perfect value for money and the quality. I get kind of OCD when it comes to buying things like that in that I want the best thing possible. It's probably not really worth doing that though and going anal about it. I heard klipsch know how to do their speakers well...are they active or passive?

hi-res audio is the way to go for files. I used to think you can't tell the difference (maybe harder to tell with headphones) but with speakers you can tell the clarity, the depth is all there. but then again i like vinyl cuz of the eartwork and the being able to store it. And hi-res albums are overly expensive for something that doesn't really take anything extra to make.

yeah mine still works properly after so many drops its amazing device.

9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

My old apple 4S or new laptop I guess. Will buy a new system when I have a couple of grand to burn.

Yeah, 'in ear' is different to earbuds. The latter are a scam unless ear ache and annoying people around you turns you on. I just go with sennheisers, usually CX 300 or 100 depending which one is 24.99 at time. Decent headphones are well worth the extra bucks but shit gets expensive. Luckily I got dragged away before I could drop 2 fiddy on a pair of Bose recently. Thank fuck.

Thinking of going for an entry level Shure headphone as I've heard they've the kings of audiophiledge for cheap bastards.

#9 Oh Snape, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

the cx300 dont look in-ear.

http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/

seems like a good list I'd prob stay away from bass head and v-shape...sounds ew. Balanced and smooth is where its at. Which shure model you looking at.

11. Chibiurd07

Chibiurd07 Simply Awkward

I have my Ipod Classic for my car but I use my phone for everything else.
    My go to is Google Play and I always have my headphones in everywhere I go.
    Not a big fan of small talk, dudes trying to holler, and crying/screaming children.
    XD

12. Interest1ng

Interest1ng Famous Member

With my ears.

13. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I have a few things, but usually I just have iTunes blasting on my speaker setup on my desk. Then my turntable runs through the receiver and 5 speaker setup I have running all my game consoles/tv through.

14. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Senior Member

I normally use my MP3 player to listen to my music (along with a pair of earbuds that my hubby bought me for Christmas one year). That way, I can listen to my music all I want to without it bothering anyone else around me. I know that not everyone will have the same taste in music as I do so the MP3 player is the best way to go, in my opinion.