Active How has the last year been?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by KT Samurai, May 8, 2017.

1. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Hello, everyone!

It's been about a year since the site opened up and we've made some pretty favorable progress in that time. Not only do we have a new place to call home since that other forum shut down we've made it a little cozier with every passing weeks. We have original, user-made content in the article section, podcasts, contributors, and a dedicated staff to help keep it all working. I'm quite proud of how far we've come together, but we can always be doing something better.

This leads me to our first yearly initiative, to gather and compile user feedback about our our first year has been and where we'd eventually like to be. I've narrowed down the feedback to a few key points, but feel free to expound upon any other thoughts or ideas you've come up with since joining up and seeing how things work around here. We'll incorporate your feedback into our coming plans and use it to buy our next add-ons, contract out new work, and more.

Please let me know how you feel about the following issues:
    • Visual quality. How does the site look and feel compared to other similar sites? Should we invest more time/money into our visual presentation, and if so what should we prioritise?
    • Forum organisation. Can our current setup be improved? Should we cull certain sections or introduce others? Does the ordering still make good sense?
    • Post quality. Are you satisfied with the community's post quality. If not, why? How do you think it could be improved?
    • Finances. Are you satisfied with my use of our publicly raised funds? What are your feelings of where we're at financially? (See more about our finances in the Announcement section)
    • Other issues that you feel need to be addressed. We have blind spots, and we count on you to illuminate issues that we're not already aware of.
    I hope to hear from each and everyone one of you. Remember: we wouldn't be here without you, so we need to know what you think about the forum and what you think needs to be done.

Thank you for your continued support.

Love, KT

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Visually we look top notch. I guess we could complement rekt with an equally beautiful dark theme (Flat Dark has a neat classic look to it but the sidebar looks a bit messy). Anyway that's upto the users who exclusively use the dark theme.

As for forum organisation, again, everything is in order.

Is an ssl worth google's minimal ranking boost and yearly recurring expense right now? I guess we'll be needing it at some point.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Im quite happy with everything.

Im glad we have some events here and there. Even ifi havent particluarlybeen involved with them its nice theyre there.

4. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Visual Quality : Flat Awesome DARK 4 LYFE!!!!!!

Aside from that everything is going as it should. I honestly didn't even realize that we had hit our 1 year mark... Which really means something.

5. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

I think everything has been running smoothly for the past year. As far as appearance goes, I don't think I'd change anything on the desktop. The mobile version is lacking though, which I wouldn't mind if I could go to the full website on my phone, but it won't let me request desktop site. Really that's my only complaint. I'm glad to see events going and hope to see more since it's good engagement for the community. Organization, again not much I'd change. Only thing is maybe a spam/chat thread since the chatroom is hit or miss and depending on your time zone isn't always active for many users.

6. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

the only real issue that I have, that we havent already beaten like a dead horse is the article system.

I feel like contributors are putting in a ton of effort, but at the end of the day none of it is being seen by more than a handful of users.

id like to figure out a way to put our origninal content out where people can see it without having to click something to find a sub menu.

I feel like a sidebar with the 5 most recent articles and their header images would solve this problem, and get people viewing the work we are putting so much time and energy into.
    I dont want to sound entitled to praise or anything but all the content creators work hard enough to.have their work on the front page of the forum .

7. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I'm going to need @Shi to advise us on what we'd need to make that happen. I suspect it will be costly in time, money, or both.

8. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

As long as the idea dosen't stay in developmental hell forever.
    I cant imagine there isnt code we couldnt piggyback off of somewhere.

9. OctalKey

OctalKey 100% Polyester
    Gold Founder

The site looks very good. A bit of a silly idea but Sub-Forum titles could look fancier and more appealing instead of being a uniform style of simplistic black lettering. Maybe a couple small videogame controllers for "Games Emporium" on either side of the rainbow-colored, 8-bit style title or small skulls next to the "Dungeon"

I think the money is well spent and I approve of the forum organization, the order doesn't need to make sense as long as people understand that the site is a city, they can travel to wherever they please.

Raffee and Kuze like this.
  10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

12. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I noticed that this morning. It is a nice flowing banner head. I thought the annoying number count on the articles section was enough to pull in people to at least look at it to reduce the number count.

13. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I feel that this needs to be said, but SC's the sexiest forum I've ever been to. Seriously, this lay-out, these n00b-friendly controls, the clean overall look... this one easily beats most of the other sites I've ever been to. (y) Oh, and the article system's cool too. Mods still haven't given me my free brownies yet, though.