Personal How Have You Grown Since Joining Sakuga/A4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quulix, May 24, 2018.

1. Quulix

Quulix Active Member
    Gold Founder

Hey guys. Sorry for not posting in a while. I was in a bad place physically and mentally but I'm doing much better now.

How do you think you guys have changed as people since joining the forums?

I joined what was previously known as "Anime-Forums.com" aka "A4," in December of 2005. I was 13 years old and was mixed in with a lot of trouble both online and off. I was a very confused kid who was still trying to figure out her teenage years. I enjoyed causing drama because I wanted the attention and was extremely stubborn, touting myself as being mature for my age when I was far from it. I also remember having more online boyfriends than I could count, and they'd last a few weeks at most. :p

Currently, I'm 25 and while I still do enjoy the occasional drama post (when warranted,) I'm a much calmer, more open person. Even though it's been 13 years I still enjoy Personal Life Discussion-esque threads (which is why I make so many posts like this.) A lot of things have changed; mostly my self esteem and contentment with life, but that's for another post/thread.

So, Sakuga: how have you changed?

Pass_the_M and kura like this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

kura and Scruffie like this.
  3. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

I had no life when I joined A4. Those were the days.

Elfa, Struggler and Scruffie like this.
  4. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

SC/A4 hasn't changed my life one bit. Life has though. And @Kuze your life sucked before myself and @Dunn x Dolo added to your misery.

:D

I have only been with the group for about 4 years now I think........... I don't remember @Shannon Apple would know better than me :D. I have become great friends with a lot of people. Been terribly influenced by @Dunn x Dolo and @Scruffie and............ I spend most of my time in the IRC Chat talking to Dunny about Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.

Outside of here I live a pretty normal life. Work, Family and House Projects from HELL!!!! That I DIY cause it is too expensive to pay a white guy (General Contractor) to hire a mexican (worker) for something I can do myself. I just force the Half Caucasian side of me to sub-contract to the Half-Mexican side of me. WIN-WIN BATOS.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  5. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Ahem...no it didn't

6. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I'm an amazing influence.

Fight me.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

@Interest1ng: 4 years sounds about right. I became an admin sometime in 2014 and I was def admin when you joined. It was a little before the two dopes who bought the place decided to take a more active role and start dicking with the site's code, and wrecking it. Moving it from server to server, and OMG.

_______

I joined A4 in early 2006. Today, I am a much stronger person than I was when I joined. Back then I was this naive girl who saw the good in absolutely everyone, no matter how terrible they were to me. I guess in a way it came from being bullied my whole life, I just had no concept of how to fight back. I believed I was the problem I suppose and I believed that people should see the world the same way I did. To not say hurtful things to other people that you know would hurt yourself. The world doesn't work that way. XD

A4 didn't teach me anything, life did. However, I did meet a Canadian friend via a game who helped with the standing up for myself against the online trolls. She's mad as a hatter, but she's an awesome friend and I still have contact with her. We would go play battle of wits against the boys in the world chat and always win. She called it corrupting me hahaha. Instead of getting upset by things people did to me online, or said to me, I started to see the funny side. I think you have to, otherwise it would drive you mad. It's bad enough having to deal with real problems in real life than have someone trying to affect you from behind their keyboard as well.

Elfa and Interest1ng like this.
  8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

And by that she means the Turkish p.....anyway, let's just forget that ever happened.

9. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

I joined A4 back in mid 2003, I was 16 and had just come from another forum where my enthusiasm for things wasnt particularly appriciated. Oh well, it was their loss.

I used to be a pretty big fuck up, But I met my husband at 17 (yes I know, what are the odds?) and things really have improved for me eversince. We have had our ups and downs but overall things have been really great.
    Hes been a constant source of encouragement and support where my familily never was. And he always inspires me to do better, its fucking rad.
    We also ended up falling hard for the same person about a year after we got married. Nothing came of it with them but the experiance taught us a lot about ourselves and how we want to go forward as a couple. I met my wife around this time as well, but we didnt really call what we had a relationship until a few years later. We all tried living together but she and my husband are too stubborn for that to work as harmoniously as I had hoped, granted I made mistakes too, but you know. im just glad our relationship survived. I would be absolutely devistated if I lost either one. They both mean the world to me.

These days Im going to school, getting my A.A.S., with the ultimate goal of getting a B.S. in ecology. But thats a few years off still.

10. Quulix

Quulix Active Member
    Gold Founder

Just thought I'd clarify: I wasn't asking how A4/Sakuga affected you or changed you. Just how different you were as a person when you were younger compared to now.

11. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

When I first joined A4 I thought I was straight lol

kura likes this.
  12. Koda

Koda Senior Member

I can't remember when I joined was around 2013-2014 I believe, I was in Culinary school when I joined I have been a chef for 4 years now and have traveled so much more than I ever thought I would. I have grown up and worked to get a great work ethic. I have met some great people on here a few who I talk to outside of the forum a lot and one who I met up with. I really hope we have a similar conversation in 4 years time with new people talking about when they joined.

13. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I joined A4 roughly four plus years ago. I was old then, now I'm older. What really affects me is how I've been able to interact with people from all over the world on this one (two) forum(s). Even with so much diversity everyone here is more like a family than a bunch of strangers. A dysfunctional family maybe, but still family.

14. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I don’t know what A4 is that everyone talks about. I’m an outsider, so call me Ponyboy.

15. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Basically the previous version of Sakuga City, that reached it's expiry date a few years back. A4, short for Anime Forums.

16. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

You might be here less than 2 years, but still counts. I don't know how much people change in that time. But you might have some stories to share. You know, A4 in turn was built up due to a mass exodus as well, pre-2002. There's a few of those "originals" still around too. The rest of us are just noobs. :p

When you think about it, I've had more than 12 years with this community. Been on it's staff for around 10 of those. That's kinda nuts in itself. XD

________

What I didn't mention in my above post was that I've graduated from university 4 times since joining. lol. I swear, I'm not that fond of school. These were necessary advancements in my career. Went to Master's level in Graphic Design. I was trained mostly in the print area despite one of my BAs being in Multimedia. I needed to learn a little of the tech end.

I took a postgrad hDip in Software Development last year. That course was basically all the important modules from a 4 year honours level bachelor degree – without the thesis. Took 11 months and I mean I had absolutely zero time to myself all year. I had no weekends, like, at all. It was so intense, but worth it. I would not do it again though. XD.

17. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I think I joined A4 late 2009, early 2010 ish. It's been a while. I was barely old enough for legitimately registering for sites with without lying. Other than the dozen or so early cringe posts I lurked or was completely absent for most of the time up till the site closed. I traded my A4 deidara avatar for a steven universe one as a 21 year old. An improvement? No.

Life-wise I graduate from art school in a year, so that's where my life is right now: drawing while stressed. I can also legally drink now, so I have that going for me. Life is good outside the internet.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  18. Raffee

Raffee Panda
    Platinum Founder

I think I went through a lot of phases in A4. In my early days there I was a stupid & clueless kid, and my English was broken beyond repair. Then as I continued learning English IRL, I went through an edgy phase where I would try being as serious as I could be, typing formally, using some difficult words I found on thesaurus, and never used any emoji, which was a persona I copied from a mod from another website lol. Then I got tired of being serious all the time and turned into a lulzie im sooo random persona. Then I got to college and my internet persona became the same as me IRL.

In Sakuga, I repented and became a panda.

Interest1ng, Elfa, Kuze and 2 others like this.
  19. Koda

Koda Senior Member

Pandas are good !!

Raffee likes this.
  20. kura

kura lay back and think of England

Can you speak to us more about the dynamic between your ex husband and wife. Did you both fall for her? Can I get more of a background on how you met her what happened there? I know that's really nosy but I'm really interested in what's going on here.