I Can't Let Physical Games Go

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I....I just can't do it, I bought this puppy this weekend:

[​IMG]

I was about to redeem my Digital version of Super Smash Bros Ultimate when it hit me.

I really want to buy a physical copy of this game. I think it's odd in general that this awesome limited edition console doesn't have a Physical version of this game rather a Digital voucher, am I the only that's having a hard time letting physical media go?

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Theres no reason too. I prefer physical because im a bit of a pack rat and like to physically see my goodies. That said i do have almost a 100 games on gog.com and more than 50 on steam. I also download on ps4 and xbox.

But i still prefer a physical copy. Its more satisfying popping a disc in then just clicking a tile on screen i still buy blurays and dvds. Mainly for quality sake and ease of use for extras.

I also dont want to have to redownload a 50gb game if i want to replay it later after Uninstalling it.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  3. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

You literally addressed two things I also also think about in one post.

It was disappointing when I bought Red Dead 2 realizing I still have to download the entire damn 100GB game from the internet, a very odd/weird design choice.

4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

A couple of years ago, I moved house for the first time (not counting fire-related moves, because if you do, I'm a nomad), and that helped me to firmly decide that I do not care for having a large physical game collection anymore. Having to move them all day firmly solidified that, for me, it just wasn't worth what I was getting out of it. I still collect some stuff physically, mostly my favorites and things that I find interesting, but I've given a lot of that metaphorical space over to Blu-Rays, which for my purposes are much more useful.

My main running console is the Xbox One X, and I currently have three-hundred and twenty-eight games available digitally and with an external hard-drive, I can store them all without an issue. Not having to deal with having to pop discs in and out does wonders for the mind - and it means I can leave Blu-Ray discs in my console for months on end so that not be able to find them when I check their cases, win-win. As physical titles go on the same console I only have three; Rock Band 4, which I also own digitally, Lego Dimensions, and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD which I probably should've picked up on PS4.

I do buy pretty much all Switch games physically and PS4 games physically though, mainly because I just don't feel as comfortable committing to them long-term. I just don't keep a lot of them. For example; I've played most of the major releases and Switch thus far, and the only games that I've held onto are Puyo Puyo Tetris and the special edition of Fire Emblem Warriors. If I buy a PS4 game new, there's a high chance that I'll move it on to a new home in just a week or two. Buying from Amazon with the Prime discount means I can usually hold onto games for all of the time that I need, sell them and still break even. I also buy 3DS and Vita physically most of the time, 3DS by preference and Vita by necessity; it's just too expensive to purchase extra Vita memory cards, thank you Sony.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wait you boihht the disc and still had to download? Mine just pulled off the discs.

But yea i only do full game download purchase on steam/gog and on console on impulse purchases.

6. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I’m old school where most of the things I buy are all physical. Also it doesn’t feel like I bought anything if it’s digital, almost like it’s not there.

yoda313 likes this.
  7. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I tend to get both but I do prefer digital mostly because I don't have to worry about losing the game. If it gets deleted then at least Xbox store will let me download it again as many times as I need to. Sucks that they don't have some way to track that with physical copies. You tend to get cheaper deals sometimes with pre-owned physical games as opposed to some of the shitty deals I have seen on exbawks live.

Digital makes things easier but I do see the appeal of having that physical copy.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

My problem is forgetting if i bought it online if i havent played it yet. I almost bought rayman legends at gamestop but remembered i bought a bunch on gog. Turns out i hadnt that particular one but its easier for me to forget online purchases rather then physical ones.

9. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I agree on the Switch front. I think just the fact the games are so small and portable it makes sense to continue Physical on that platform. That being said, there are some games that are Digital only that don't have a Physical release for some reason, I wish those makers would reconsider.

Yes :( Are you playing on PS4? I play on Xbox One S and yes, I had to install the first disc at 50GB and then the second disc at another 50GB. It didn't seem like it was being installed from the disc, it seemed like it was an actual download that was being done from Microsoft's Servers

Pretty much this. Also, let's not forget to factor in reselling. I resell games typically once the next generation consoles come out because the resale value is generally good especially on the collectors market. Typically Japanese games hold better value due to less sales and typically these titles stop being sold faster than Western releases.

Glad that you see that as well. It also looks good when I'm hanging my limited edition Smash/Xenoblade from the ceiling, lol

10. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I feel weird that I’ve never resold a game before.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@reddragon - can your check your download log? Im on the xbox oneversion and i got it installed in two hours i think. Im at around 70mb download through cable so idont think i can download 90gb that fast.

12. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Active Member

I'm definitely partial to a physical copy; love the look on my shelf of hundreds of game boxes. I can see the advantages of a Digital copy but I can never bring myself to do it, the only exception being Monthly games on PSN. I'm also a hoarder so pretty much never return or exchange a game, I hold on to them even if I haven't touched them in years.

yoda313 likes this.
  13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I especially like my series collections. Halo, uncharted, tales of, assassins creed. Even if i dont have them complete i still like seeing three or mote in a series next to each other.

14. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I personally prefer digital, but the appeal of a physical copy is understandable. It's real easy to just pop a game in out of the box and get to playing, for the most part. I buy almost all of my 3DS games physical if I can, but buy all of my PC and Switch games digitally (I think my only physical switch game is Bayonetta 2, which I got physical for that sweet sweet Bayonetta code). I think I'm biased towards digital due to still being in college away from home though, I'd rather not carry a huge game library around.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Well pc is a little different. At least at bestbuy they have like zero pc games on disc. Its like one end cap and that's it. Its mostly download cards and then you go the gaming mice and keyboard section.

Can you actually get a mainstream aaa pc game like assassins creed odyssey on physical bluray???

16. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I checked and it's using close to 100GB for the install size. Mine also took about two hours (With the discs and patch update)

This I can attest to. This is my plan with my Spider-Man and Super Smash Bros Switch.

This is something I can definitely understand. I think the Switch has the biggest reason for going digital due to the fact that you can actually carry it with you.

17. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I bought a Wii-U because of Mario Maker. I know how you feel. It's hard because if you ever have to reformat the console, or sell the consol-the game goes with it or is lost forever. With my old 64 still around, I held onto a few of the games and still have them with a new console. I think that the option to settle this is for all three major companies to forever allow us to store our digital games into a cloud would solve everything. But, not all games are compatible with all previous ones despite it being entirely software. So, even if you save all your Wii, Wii-U, Switch games to a cloud, the Switch 2 U or whatever might not be able to play those digital copies. Same thing goes for the PS6 not being able to store all of your ps5 games etc.

I think it might just be something where we gotta get into the habit of not selling our old consoles and stop selling our old games to gamestop, just because we want a 10$ discount off the new game that every kid on the block will make fun of you, or spoil for you when you don't get it on release day.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just stick with xbox! Sure it's not 100% backward yet but they sure are pushing .

19. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I have a well over 100 games on Steam, a few on GOG, and I play Hearthstone regularly. I used to be like that though and only played console games where I obviously had physical copies of all of them nicely organised on a shelf so that I could see what I have. I haven't bought a console for a long time because I was too busy to play games. Now I have some time on my hands, I've been playing games more, so added quite a few to my Steam Library.

I'm worse with music. I have to have my music on CD because then I'll actually pick it up, put it in the player and listen to it. On the digital devices (where I've uploaded everything I have on CD anyway) I tend to have playlists and never bother with the rest of my library. Makes having all that music digitally kinda pointless. If I can physically see it, I'm like "Oh, I love this, gotta play it"

In some ways, it's the same for games. When there's a long list of text (like on Steam) you kinda forget about some of the games that you have, so I can understand the need for some people to have physical copies. lol.

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I totally understand cds. I want physical but i still have a lot of download only but i did buy the last u2 album on disc. Only trouble is with bestbuy dumping cds ill have to quickly get the new releases.