I Can't Let Physical Games Go

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

Specialty stores still sell CD's, it's just that brand new CD's there tend to be like $15 as opposed to $10 at Best Buy.

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Yea its just not as convenient :(

3. Grungie

Contributor

I haven’t bought a CD at Best Buy in like 15 years, cuz I found the specialty stores more to my liking, and they’re easier to get in and out of than a big store like Best Buy. Best Buy used to have a great selection, but it seemed like they started focusing only on top 40 pop and classic rock, and I couldn’t find anything interesting anymore.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I just had a flippin awesome crazy idea.

MAKE A CD CASE FOR DOWNLOADED GAMES!

Ok here me out. Part of the holdover for physical copies is the sensation of a physical game and the pride of ownership (ie seeing on a shelf or in a cabinet etc). So why not make a case for a downloaded game? Or if not a case somd kind of cd wallet type booklet with all your downloads???

I always get a bit jealous seeing the collections some youtubers havre. However im starting to have a large downloaded collection on steam, gog, xbox one and ps4. Why not bring that into the 3d physical world??

Im thinking maybe even something as simple as a 3 ring binder with a box art cover to flip through would be awesome to pull out. Heck how about an amibbo type card playing system to launch thr game as if it was a physical game? Ok thats not possible at least not with my technical skills.

Im thinking this would be a cool way to admire your collection while staying in the non physical realm. I still wont give up discs completely as ill still get them. But ill be getting some xbox and ps4 black friday downloads in just a minute.

So does this idea of a physical catalog of downloaded games sound good to you? I might waste some paper and ink but i think it would be cool to have some kind of physical representatation if whats on my harddrives. Not sure ill really do the cd case though i do have tons of cd slim cases i think .

5. Grungie

Contributor

No, that’s dumb and defeats some of the purpose of buying digital.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Well the point of the thread was not letting go of physical. I still want to make a log. Im sure there must be an easy to use game database.

7. Grungie

Contributor

There’s a difference between making a log of what games you have versus making physical download codes (which already exist).

Also it sounds like you’re okay with going digital, but you want to look like a Youtuber with shelves of games. Doesn’t sound like a situation where you can have your cake and eat it too.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ya stuck between worlds.

I will be putting a catalog together though.

9. Grungie

Contributor

You can just make an Excel spreadsheets

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks.

I actually just got through making memos on my phone. I went through my xbox one, ps4 and ps3 games. I designated which were disc and in the case of the ps4 which were VR.

I found a few apps that look promising. I have my game collection on Android. It can import from steam so I won't have to type those out. Seems though I'll have to do that for my gog games.

So instead of wasting time looking for the perfect app I at least got started and got my consoles out of the way.

I still think I'll pusure some printing of covers for the downloaded games. I want to get my databases set first. Well they are simply a text list right now.

11. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I don't own very many games. my DS/3DS collection alone outnumbers my console games, and they can all fit into a small rectangle pouch, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. However, I prefer to have the physical copy. I remember the time when digital was starting to get big. The few games I was interested in had the problem where if I lost the game, as in uninstalled or eased from your HDD, it was gone forever. I don't remember the games, I just remember that feeling.

I have this ever present assumption that online services can be ended but physical games cannot. With the rise of day one patches though, I'm not so sure how much that. When I got Fallout 76, the download screen said that the disc had about 300MB on it and had a 50GB download, essentially the same as the game itself (as advertised). Now this might be me not understanding what the install progress bar meant, but I got the feeling, the only purpose the disc had was to be proof of purchase for me to essentially download a mach-digital copy of the game that only played when the disc was inserted, essentially, instead of buying the car itself, I had bought the key, and the car had to be given to me after the fact, and only when I had it.

I see the benefit to digital, and with the companies keeping track of purchases for redownload it seems to be a great prospect with little to no downsides. But like I mentioned before, I like physical copies because they will last when the online service discontinues. Obviously this is flawed when it comes to online only games, but it's how I am.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Randoms - nope your not wrong they can and have taken games off digital servers. I think you can still download them again if you own them but I'm sure there are ones lost forever until reissued.

As for my collection I finally catalogued them for ps4, xbox one including my 360 and original purchases, and ps3 and gog and steam. Let's just say im in the low hundreds. I havent included my physical pc games yet. They'll be plenty of duplicates as I bought them again to play easily on win 10 though now with my retro win 98 build up and running I should be able to play the originals again.

I did find and pay for a catalog site:
    Www.collectorz.com.

I did upload my tex files no problem. Now I just want to go through and get the cover pics for each. My only wish is it was easy to separate physical and download. I did put -disc on most.

So I'm nearly set. Though of course updating will be a chore :D

13. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

After having to sell my physical copy of "Corpse Party: Blood Drive" (among other things) to make up for the money I used to buy my digital copy of "Hitman 2", I realized that I couldn't sell my Steam games to make up for the money I spent. There's a site that lets people sell your Steam accounts, but that would get your account banned. And besides, those accounts have tons of solid AAA games, unlike mine with a handful of mediocre titles.

So yeah, I'm starting to realize the disadvantages of purchasing digital copies - I can't sell them when I'm done with them. Still, in this age of digital copy games, it's not easy to acquire physical copies. I have to go out of my way to either travel down to the mall downtown to buy my game, or buy it second-hand from eBay or some similar site. It's just discouraging all around.

Ugh, I'm too used to being an otaku shut-in. lol I hate traveling.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Yep plus you dont get the thrill of opening a digital copy! But it is hard to get pc games in person.