If you could go back what would you change your major to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enies, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Do you have any regrets for what you have chosen to study in university? would you go back and change it. It seems to me that universities are divided between STEm and liberal arts students with the latter being criticized for being useless in the job market or rather not having many job prospects in the industry.

2. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I don't regret anything. There is kind of a misnomer of what constitutes a liberal arts degree. Most people associate it with pretty much useless stuff like lesbian dance theory or underwater basket weaving, but people forget that a lot of the other sciences like biology, chemistry, and geology are liberal arts. Then there's social sciences, maths, and linguistics, and that's just scratching the surface.

>has liberal arts degree

With STEM, it's usually blindingly obvious with what jobs you can get, with liberal arts, a lot of people don't know what it entails, or think being a teacher is dumb.

3. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Ha, I did change majors, kind of wish now that I didn't. Started in Mechanical Engineering but for various reasons I was starting to get seriously behind in math requirements. Took the easy route and switched to Building Construction which had a lower math requirement. Looking back on that now, I would have been better off putting the major studies on hold and taken some remedial math to get back on my feet. Eh, would have taken some juggling and I'm still alive today in spite of it all. Maybe in a different world line....

4. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Liberal arts constitutes history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, and English literature
    Ususally these majors aren't favorable in the job market because while stimulating intellectually and interesting they might not be the best for today economy

5. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Honestly, if I could go back and change my college career, I dont think I would.
    Even if I was able to do something i was super passionate about (like I am today) I didn't have the tools or experience needed to e a good student. So ultimately a chance like that would be wasted. In some ways I am at a disadvantage going into a new career path so "late" in life, but I'll manage.

6. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

As much as I love the three degrees I have, almost four. I only use one and my employer and any future employers only care about two, three once I am done with my fourth. The other one is useless and I was full filling a childhood dream but didn’t have any plans after obtaining but I couldn’t let them go until I had trhem. Such a waist of money, but I had fun four years.

If I had my shit together and wasn’t such a wild child I would have gone to med school or got a degree in a science, or possibly pharmacy. Although I didn’t know how natural medicine was for me to grasp until I was older and went through EMT school and nursing. I do look back at times when I think of how far I could have gone, but I had fun in school.

7. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I probably woulda switched to my original choice of welding. My dad talked my out of it so i ended up choosing digital media and design

8. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I got a Bachelors Degree in Information Technology and if I could go back I'd do the same Major.

I also work for the happiest place on earth, so all is well.

9. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

I have a non science or math liberal arts degree and I would not go back and change it (and in fact it did help my career). The key is to have a specific career path in mind (and backup), do your research, know exactly what you need to do to get there, and base a major from that. Where I think majors can go wrong or become useless is when people base their choice on what "interests" them at the time or just general ideas instead of looking at long term career goals and specific applications of of the major.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

the thing is most jobs arent directly related to a major. otheres say its best to major in something you're good at so basically most majors can be applicable to various areas as opposed to just one specific thing (though there are a couple of exceptions).

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I have too many degrees lol. To be honest, if I could go back and stop myself from going into Graphic Design, I might. Don't get me wrong, I do love what I do, but the industry is mega competitive and employers tend to fake permanent positions with 6 month contracts just to cover busy seasons. You get the "it's not you, it's us... we can't afford you any more, but we'll give you a good reference." Sounds much like a break up and it's happened to me more than once. lol. It shouldn't be allowed, but they use loopholes to get around it. It can be really frustrating and I feel that it doesn't look good on your resume if you're moving around every 6 months.

I was always great with tech and considered computer science. I should have went there and not listened to others. My teachers wanted me to be an accountant. XD. I didn't. The prospect bored me. Graphic Design was still a business orientated subject, but combined with one of my hobbies... art.

I went to Art college for a year after leaving high school to fulfill the art requirement to get into a graphics course. I was self taught and didn't have art as a school subject. Tutor at art school wanted me to go for fine art, but I am smarter than that. Yep, I enjoy oil painting, but feck if I wanted to make a career out of it. Then I went on to do a Bachelor Degree in Vis Comm. Hons Bachelor Degree in Multimedia, Masters in Design and most recently Software Development... :O

Then this shit happened with my back while I was working at the university during last summer, so haven't tested the waters with the tech stuff yet. When I'm better, I'm just going to see which way I go. Maybe into something more tech orientated. Will see. ^^

12. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

Huh, I've been studying computer science myself, although recently I've been getting mad distracted with reading: there are just so many classic works there. I'm out of study for the next few months, so that's good for spare time. Dubliners isn't going to read itself.

I find I need a clear head to code, and also a good review of my old code and notes in the respective language as I'm feeling rusty as.

13. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

As someone about to graduate this spring in Illustration, I wish I had chosen graphic design or something else. Not because I dislike the career path I'm on, but because the illustration program here is real out of touch with a lot of the industry outside advertising and sucks in other ways, whilst the design program here is managed way better. Bit in too deep at this point, though.

14. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Believe In Death

If I could back and change it, I would have skipped college altogether and joined the military. My family has a long military history, but I wanted to be different and take the college route. I regret that decision and wish I could do it over again.

15. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I did Visual Communications(Graphic Design) and it was exactly the same. They were so out of touch with the industry. In fact, I learned nothing worthwhile during my undergrad in uni. Oh sure, it improved my skills, but it didn't prepare me to get a job. I had to do a Master's (Professional Design Practice) to get that training and to feel more confident about what I was doing. They brought in real clients and we had to work in teams to come up with a proposal. Kinda like The apprentice. Each client was assigned two teams of 4-5 students and we had to appoint a project manager, secretary and other jobs. It was a lot of fun, except of course when you got assholes on your team who wanted to just ride the waves and get the marks. lol. I'm a hard worker, I want to succeed and I hate people who take advantage of my wish to do well. Anyway, if they had done something like that in the 4th year of the bachelors, we would have gone out there much more prepared.

16. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Luckily the design program at my school is staffed by professors and department heads with recent, and often current industry experience and projects working with real clients, and it's definitely a point of jealousy for the other art programs which are like the program you went to, in which there is basically no preparation for actual industry work. Our design program is also a point of pride for our school (their department head got to lead a big company's sponsored art and engineer transdisciplinary research center) whilst the other programs besides our animation program definitely aren't. I still have the final "professional practices" portion of the program to go, but knowing what I know so far, I doubt I'll get anything from it.

17. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

That design program sounds like it was basically incorporating some of the stuff my Master's did. Those students are lucky. Some universities only do 3 year bachelor programmes. Mine was 4. You would think that they'd use the final year to really prepare people, but they don't. When I got to senior designer myself, I saw exactly how unprepared some of the graduates were that came in for work experience. They thought that they could just create whatever the hell they wanted because they were the designer. No one warned them that they wouldn't have the same creative freedom as in university.

I understood what the designer who was my direct superior, when I was an intern, was saying about graduates. At the time, he told me I was the best intern he'd trained. I think it was thanks to my Master's giving me a head start. XD.

I had this one guy who had a 1st class honours degree, beautiful portfolio and he was the worst intern I ever had. It was mainly because he believed he was too good for the position he was in, and thought he should have a lot more creative freedom. Full creative freedom is for college and passion projects. I had to ask to have him fired in the end. He was supposed to be with me for 2 months to train him, AND also to help me by doing the small jobs, allowing me to work on the more important projects. I ended up having to work late to finish his work. Absolute nightmare. lol. I blame the universities though for blowing these kids heads up with bs.