IGN Fires Editor after he Plagiarizes Dead Cell Review

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Red_Dragon, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Here's the YouTube Reviewer complaining his review was stolen:

Here's IGN apologizing about this incident, pulling their Review and after terminating the employee:

Apparently guy had done this multiple times (On written reviews), people on the internet are going back in his past and looking at his content.

2. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Glad this apparent hack got caught.

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

He didn't really bother to reword it either, so that's double the lazy, I guess.

4. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Brian Altano‏ @agentbizzle
    Thing that people don’t hear enough: If you’re overwhelmed with something you’re doing, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Ask a friend/colleague/family member and just say “Hey, this is tough and I need assistance.” There’s no shame in that. Just ask. You’ll feel better.

6:56 PM - 8 Aug 2018

That is what Brian who apologized on IGN's behalf said in a tweet.

It looks like this guy rushed to get this review out and didn't bother to ask anyone for help. I like the way Brian worded this, sometimes it's OK to just ask for help.

#4 Red_Dragon, Aug 9, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow saw it on the dreamcast guy youtube channel earlier this week. Guess it was all confirmsd.

6. kura

kura lay back and think of England

I'm familiar with a lot of the editorial team on IGN by virtue of the fact that I used to follow their podcasts which were pretty fun and discursive. But lol IGN when it comes to its journalism and its critical output. What a waste of Miucin's career.

Go Brian Altano though.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Well, seems like it was actually a blessing in disguise for Boomstick Gaming. He went from 11k subscribers to 62k because of this. LOL!

Glad yer man got fired though. Since he's been guilty of it in the past according to the internet's investigations, it seems like he just doesn't have the ability to put his own opinions into words. He didn't deserve his post.

8. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I agree, it worked out in his favor, he really is genuinely a good reviewer I just watched his review of "We Happy Few" and he did a pretty good job.

What's so sad about this entire story is there are people that would KILL to have a job reviewing Nintendo games for IGN, I know this with certainty. Apparently he apologized I'll be posting his video shortly.

Agreed, Brian seems like a good person overall, I've seen some of his videos, he's a real nerd/gamer and is passionate about his craft.

9. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

His apology is below:

10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

He deleted his "apology" video. lol. It wasn't an apology, it was a denial. All he did was dig himself an even bigger hole. He was upvoting fanboy comments and deleting negative ones that people said had up to 800 replies before deleting the video itself. The least he could do was own up to it and apologise properly. He might have gained back just a little respect. Now people think he's an even bigger asshole than before.

The author of the FIFA 18 review responded here:

11. kura

kura lay back and think of England

What a professional train wreck for him and IGN. lol

12. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I have to imagine this spells the end of his writing career; unless Buzzfeed has a games division, in which case, he probably has a bright future ahead of him doing exactly the same thing he did at IGN.

13. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

At 2:00 he pretty much gets murdered here. Way too close of a coincidence I think this guys careers as a game journalist is over, he might need to move to tech. The problem is he's become so well known now that won't last too long.

He would fit right in at Buzzfeed, lol

14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

'10 sure fire ways to land a job reviewing games for a living. Numbers 2-10 will sound like you've already read em somewhere else!'

15. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

You guys, this is getting better and better. He's actually plagiarised his own colleague's review of Octopath Traveller too. Seth Macy made a tweet about his review being ripped. IGN are now removing all content from Filip with the assumption that everything he's ever written has been plagiarised. He's been doing this for years apparently.

There are many people out there who do genuine game reviews who have a passion for it. They're really good and will likely never catch a break like that moron had. Why would you waste such an amazing opportunity by being a lazy prick?

16. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

This is what I've been having a discussion with my coworkers about recently. This guy was the HEAD EDITOR for Nintendo at one of the largest Entertainment Networks in the world. There are literally people that would kill to have a chance like that and he just squandered it, it's just so hard to wrap my head around. I mean imagine how much he gets to travel to go to gaming events around the world on behalf of IGN. Unless he starts his own network/content it'll be hard for him to ever find a job in this

17. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M Senior Member

Yeah saw this, crazy lol I haven't followed IGN in years.

18. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

IGN doesn't have very good editorial standards in the first place. I wasn't surprised this happened. You should read their review of Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

If you guys weren't aware, the story for these two games is about a Land-creationist Pokemon and a Water-creationist Pokemon. It involves a lot of water travel which was necessitated by the story. It lost points on its score because the reviewer said there was "too much water". In a game. That is, in part, about a Water God Pokemon. Seriously.

19. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

20. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Yeah I just checked out a few of his vids. It seems they are getting less dislikes the more videos he does but I think the video he did after getting fired has almost 1000 dislikes and like 600 actual likes.

Masses aint forgiven him yet apparently lol.