Tech Im ditching my smartphone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

If you know me at all, you know I'm a huge tech junkie, I've had smartphones since 2009 and they are a ubiquitous aspect in most of our lives. I use my phone more than my computer for just about everything. It's amazingly useful.
    These days though I feel like I've gotten away from the idea of a phone being a tool and more of lifestyle. Like smokers without a light, I find myself getting jittery, irritable, and excessively anxious at the mere thought of not having my phone in my hand. Its the first thing I look at in the morning, and the last thing I see before I go to bed, and who knows how often I check it during the day, there's an app to track that but I'm kinda scared to see the data to be quite honest.
    The frustrating part is that I can't just put the device down and stop reading my feeds. It's a compulsive act at this point that feels more like an addiction then general curiosity for what I'm looking up. I've tried uninstalling apps, and that worked for a while, but I can still access everything from the built-in browser. I even tried parental controls for a while, but that was a total loss. I figured out how to disable the app on my end pretty quickly.

So as things are now, I just want a break, without any opportunity for temptation. So I'm going to be shoving my S8+ in a locked safe and picking up an old QWERTY slider phone. I'm sure locking it up sounds like overkill, but I know myself, I'd just pull it out of a drawer.
    I should have the "new" phone by the end of the week, hopefully, my experiment goes well. Looking forward to being less distracted once the initial withdrawal period ends.

Anyone else ever thought about ditching a smartphone? What were your reasons?

2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh it's totally a real addiction, just the same as cigarettes really.

Thankfully, I've managed to avoid that. I'm probably a strange one in some ways lol. I hate celebrity culture, couldn't give a toss about them. I hate gossip, rarely check my Facebook. I used to be addicted to MMO's though, so there's that. I think what works universally for me against MMOs, smartphones and general online social stuff is that I tell myself "None of these people are going to live my life for me, so I'm not wasting my time looking at their crap."

I only wish my closest friends would come to the same realisation that you have. One of them in particular is so addicted that it makes me sad. She used to be really bubbly, hilarious and outgoing. The "mad" one of our group of friends, the one that made me more outgoing because I WAS more introvert than she. Since my back injury, I've met up with her on her work break for lunch a couple of times. She spent 3/4 of that time looking at her phone checking out all the gossip and commenting on who's doing what and messaging people. The other 1/4 was actual conversation about real stuff. Oh, it's not a problem, she doesn't have an addiction. I never press that, since I don't want to lose my friend. When people are in denial, they can be quite aggressive about it. You have to wait for them to realise it themselves.

I ditch my phone all the time unintentionally. I sometimes forget to charge the thing and people have to get me on the landline. "Why's your phone off?" "...oh." I do use it in the evenings here and there to browse SC and other things for a bit, but I never ever use my phone to go online in the company of other people. That's a fast track to turning anti-social like my friend. XD

Fair play on the attempt to kill the addiction, I hope it works out. Be careful about replacing with computer or tablet though. :)

3. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Thats the thing though, I rarely use twitter, my facebook is a shadow of what it used to be, I never really got super deep into social networking tbh. I did used to be pretty intensely into tumblr, but I got rid of the app and I'm doing better. Ive got an instagram and a few other things, but I hardly use them, they are just sort of there.

My addiction is more chat related or information based, I can and do look up anything and everything. I love research, to the point that I'd rather be reading than anything else. Aside from the browser and reddit; discord, messenger, and email apps are my most used.
    Basicly theres always something to read, or someones brain to pick. Its a weird way to have my issues manifest, because the usual approaches don't really address them.
    I also use my phone for doing just about everything on the forum, and tbh it feels really alien trying to type this up on my laptop lol

If it was only social networking it would be easy enough to get rid of the apps, but I need my access to information in general cut off, or at least on a computer that doesn't fit in my pocket and I can leave in another room lol

Shannon Apple likes this.
  4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I just use it to read the web at lunch at work and for text messages when meeting people. I also use it for Google maps. I do have phone envy since mines a budget samsung but the thought of spending more than a 100 usd for a phone freaks me out. Its still just a phone for making calls.

I dont do Facebook or any other stuff like that so i dont check it for that. I do know the lure though. Tech is tough to set down.

Good luck pinky

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Ah, the aimless reading of interesting information that leads to something else, and so on, look at the time and realise hours have passed? Then you realise that you've been looking at useless shite for a good portion of it. THAT, I can understand actually. I've done that. Procrastination more or less. Only diffference is that I would do this on the computer when I was supposed to be studying. I recognised it early on though and had to actually limit my study time to 1 hour at a time. Get up, take a break and go back. I know you're supposed to do that anyway, but I'd take a "break" and go on a browsing tangent and not actually go back to study. I can absolutely see how that can become a problem if you get used to doing it on a portable device.

6. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Last year around this time, I had ditched my phone for about a week. In fact, I got off the internet. I shut off social media in general.

It was relieving. My brain was able to rest for once.

7. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I can’t have my phone at work, so I’m used to going 8 hours without it.

I don’t take FB seriously much, outside of stalking friends and shitposting memes.

The_Archangel likes this.
  8. kura

kura lay back and think of England

My job is incredibly dull. Having a phone around at work keeps me ticking over.

Not one of these social media dons though. I pretty much use my phone exclusively for logistical operations or when I'm in transit listening to music.

100 posts skrrrrrt

9. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Well after a couple bumps, dumb phone is a go!

Wallpaper is a throwback to what I had on my very first flip phone back in 2006, though I couldnt bring myself to find my old 3-11 ringtones, how time flies.

[​IMG]

Ive also put google maps on the device as well, but with the gps on this device only used for geotagging pics i can only get directions without realtime navagation. its butts.

10. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

After one week with the dumbphone, I've noticed a major improvement in my life overall.
    -I have been getting up and going to bed earlier (I'm still not on a "normal schedule" but it's not totally inverted anymore)
    -my mood is better
    - I'm more focused
    - I'm doing better socially
    - I'm getting more work done overall

It's not all positives though.
    I still have to keep my S8 on me for GPS when I go to new places, and yesterday I didn't have it with me and some roads had changed in a part of town i don't usually drive in, causing me to drive into one of the local Confederate cemeteries rather than the main road that it runs along, I did manage to find my way out thanks to some new developments in the area though.

It was just a little frustrating.

11. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

This sounded like a great idea for me at first, but then I remembered I rely on the internet for all my music recommendations. I'd do the same if I wasn't a fan of Spotify, Soundcloud, etc. I like having a lot of music at my fingertips. :cool:

12. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

I mean you can still have a ton of music, my dumbphone still lets me set up playlists and stuff, I just have to download it all first lol
    Its a little more effort but its not that odd to me since i had an 1st gen ipod nano back in the day. Granted, the phone has the convenience of hot-swapping sd cards, but its a similar concept.

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Haha! You know, @Pinky The Blue Flamingo, the thing with the cemetary goes to show just how much we do rely on our stupid phones. Although, GPS is a necessary thing. No more ending up in dangerous situations. There was this time when I was a kid, we were coming home from my auntie's in Dublin and my dad took a wrong turn. We ended up in some dodgy looking place and it was dark out. He pulled over to ask a cop for directions, and he was like "turn around, take the x left, etc, then keep driving straight and do not stop for any reason until you're out of here." LOL!

14. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

yeah i got a used garmin and my problem has been solved for the most part. It doesnt get traffic because garmin is super weird about how they designed the reciver, but I can live without that for awhile, I can always get an antenna later.

Its been two weeks now and im pretty used to leaving my s8 at home. the only time i bother to bring it these days is when I go to class on mondays. and tbh I keep the phone on silent in my bag anyway.
    And even when I do use it its only to get on messenger, discord, or play sailor moon drops. Im not really missing it at all these days.

15. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

so as of today my smartphone has been turned off for about 5 days straight. Ive figured out how to use lyft on my laptop so I legit dont need it anymore.

I can rely totally on my gravity q, gamin, and laptop to do everything I need on a day to day basis. Feels good man.

I do have a con coming up next weekend though, so I will be taking my s8 for that, and keeping my gravity q on stand by. I have a few people Ill be meeting and they only know me via online apps, so they cant just text me. Its ok though, I need the con app too so i can keep up on programing changes and stuff.

otherwise. After a few bumps in the road, the transition wasnt that bad. Id def reccomend trying it if you feel like you spent too much time online like I did.
    If you do want to try going low tech, Im more than happy to offer advice.

oh, and I forgot to mention, I can access the site with this bad boy. Its super slow and Time consuming, but I can do it. it also gets reddit, and news pages as well.

[​IMG]

#15 Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  16. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

I felt like I should add one last update since I hit the one month mark.

The biggest change has been my mood and general productivity, im doing more, and honestly feel better in general about most things. my ability to access info isnt so much gone as reduced. I mostly use rss feeds these days to get news and that cuts the info bombardment I was dealing with to almost nothing.

Not to mention my cellular data use has dropped from 30gb per month to a staggeringly low 4mb per month.
    we have an unlimted plan so it was never an issue but its really nice to know that i can survive just fine without a constant stream of data incessently begging for my attention with beeps, buzzes, and blinks.

Ultimately I dont think Ill go back to a smart device as a daily driver any time soon. I honestly prefer the simplicity of a dumb device, and fortunately it looks like at least a few companies will be there when the carriers shut down their 2/3G networks over the next few years.