Action Inuyashiki

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

INUYASHIKI
    [​IMG]

Genre: action, thriller, sci-fi
    Studio: MAPPA
    Director: Keiichi Satou
    Writer: Hiroya Oku (manga) Hiroshi Seko (series composition and script writing)

So now we finally come to the end of this humongous list. Nine shows down and only one to go. So what is it about this show that it managed to beat nine other shows to end up at the very top spot on this list? Why is this the show that I’m most excited for this season? Is this show too big to fail? No…no it could definitely end up a major disappointment but I see various indicators for why this could be something really quite remarkable as well as why it could not be.

[​IMG]

So let’s start with my biggest concern before diving right into why I think it might be really good. The series is based on a manga by Hiroya Oku who is a manga author best known for Gantz. I know the Gantz manga is very beloved by a lot of people but personally, I never considered it to be all that great myself. However, Gantz was conceived by Oku when he was still in high school and the man himself has said in interviews that Gantz was him still being in his rebellious teenage phase while Inuyashiki is a more mature work. Whether or not this is true, we’ll just have to see.

[​IMG]

Now with those concerns out of the way let me start by laying out the many reasons why I am so freaking excited for this show. Starting with…the studio in charge. In this case that is Studio MAPPA. For those who still don’t know by now, Mappa is my favorite animation studio. It was founded by former madhouse CEO Masao Maruyama and since its inception has created some of the most popular and critically acclaimed anime of the last decade or so with series such as Yuri on Ice, Rage of Bahamut and more recently Altair and Kakegurui. Not to mention one of the greatest anime I have ever seen: Kids on the Slope, an absolutely fantastic drama anime that really more people should check out.

[​IMG]

Of course, a studio name isn’t everything. A show also needs a strong staff. So who’s on the staff list for this show? Well, let’s start with the director: Keiichi Satou. His previous directing credits include both seasons of Rage of Bahamut, which is both a really good and somewhat bad thing depending on which season you look at, as well as Tiger and Bunny. A show I really need to get around to watching if only to find out why it’s being voted as the single best anime in existence by Japanese viewers ever since it first aired over there. However, he also directed Karas, which is an OVA not a lot of people have heard of and even fewer have seen but it's actually pretty damn good. So, as far as I’m concerned Mappa made a solid choice with this director.

[​IMG]

However what gets me really excited is the other two people involved with this show. To be precise the writer and music composer for this series. Series composition and principal script writing for this series is handled Hiroshi Seko who also has a somewhat remarkable resume. He got his start as a lead writer and assistant series composer on Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress which is a show that’s not generally considered to be all that great but which I enjoyed immensely. Though not as much as his next writing gig: The Empire of Corpses. A terrific gothic horror flick for which he wrote the screenplay. However, the reason I am so excited to have him on board has little to do with those two projects. I remember when this project was first announced last year and I took a brief peak at the original manga I remember thinking it reminded me of Ajin – Demi-Human. A series I enjoyed like there was no tomorrow. And yes, you guessed it Hiroshi Seko did series composition and script writing for Ajin. So I want to see this show asap and see if he managed to craft another series that is as unrelentingly tense, fast paced and action packed and as ridiculously entertaining as Ajin was.

Now on to the music composer which is none other than Yoshihiro Ike, the same Yoshihiro Ike I said earlier about that I considered him to be the single greatest music composer in anime. So to have him on board alone is cause enough for me to want to watch this show. Making my excitement even greater is the fact that this is a sci-fi action show and the last time Ike worked on a sci-fi action show we got Ergo Proxy which has my favorite soundtrack of all time. So I seriously can’t wait to hear the music for this show!

[​IMG]

The final reason why I’m more excited for this show than any other new anime this season is because of the same reason I’m usually somewhat weary of new anime. At least if they are adaptations. This is a 12 episode series and the original Inuyashiki manga has 10 volumes so it’s quite unlikely that they’ll be able to adapt the whole thing and in this current climate there is a good chance a second season will not be happening. However, the original Inuyashiki manga is available in its entirety over on Crunchyroll so if the anime ends on a cliffhanger that never gets resolved you can simply go there and read the rest at no extra cost. Provided of course you do have a premium membership. The only other option is that they’ll try to adapt the whole thing in twelve episodes and the show will just be an incredibly rushed train wreck. But with all this talent involved, I don’t think that will be the case. Or at least I hope it won’t be…

Please don’t suck… Please don’t suck… Please don’t suck…

So, this is why this series is my most hyped show this season and why perhaps you should also be excited about this show. Now let’s hope it can actually live up to the very high expectations I have for it or if I’ll be writing a crushing piece on this show in a few weeks about how it was the biggest disappointment I’ve experienced all year. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen though. I much prefer ranting about how awesome a show is than I do about how shit something is.

With the original Inuyashiki manga being on Crunchyroll it would therefore make a lot of sense for the show to also be on Crunchyroll. Alas common sense has left the anime licensing world about a year and a half ago. Because this is a Noitamina series and Amazon made this deal where every Noitamina show will be streaming exclusively on Amazon, the only place towwatch Inuyashiki is on Anime Strike if you’re in the US or Amazon Prime everywhere else. I will admit that Amazon has not actually announced that they will be streaming Inuyashiki yet but given that, said deal is still in place, it would take the hand of God himself for that not to be a solid fact.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

3 more days to go. Prepare yourselves for the hype.

Kerberos likes this.
  3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Interest1ng likes this.
  4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I think we're done here. Anime of the Season.(y)

Kerberos likes this.
  5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Without having read the manga, I was a little non-plussed by that first episode. It shows potential in having an atypical protagonist, but the general setup just reminds me of Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul. Which in turn reminded me of The Guyver and Devilman...

I don't know, we'll see how it pans out.

6. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Hey, I want in on this club. Came in expecting senior-age action, went out with feels. I'm going to try and avoid reading the manga so everything that happens after this is a surprise.
    [​IMG]

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Fuck, someone's on a murderous self-discovery trip. The ending theme is so beautiful though.

8. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

I LOVE HIRO! WOW HE IS SOOO AWESOME! I KNEW I WILL LOVE HIM! I DON'T LIKE THAT OLD DUDE THO...

9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Alright first episode. Completely forgot how short anime episodes are, especially with their 5 minute opening and ending themes. Each.

Anyhoo, came across as a cross between my second fave Akira Kurasawa movie and Charles Bronson's Deathwish. I look forward to epsiode 2. Which I shall watch later eating pasta.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

saw the manga at the bookstore and thought it looked cool. Was even more interested when i read that it was made by the same author as gantz so i really liked that manga a lot.

I figure like you can't go wrong with this.

11. Tonto-banchou

I like this show. It asks the real questions.

[​IMG]

I also love it when my favorite superheroes get stuck in traffic. Just like Deadpool! I think.

[​IMG]

And if that villain ain't the biggest One Piece fanboy I know. They're not wasting any time getting the audience to hate his guts.

Narilka and Oh Snape like this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Fam, GOT has a 10 minute opening anyway.

Oh Snape likes this.
  13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

*puts wolf mask on*

Inuyashiki Opening『FULL』~ My Hero - MAN WITH A MISSION

#13 Kuze, Oct 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Kerberos likes this.
  14. Tonto-banchou

HIT ME UNDERGROUND
    HIT ME UNDERGROUND

Kerberos and Kuze like this.
  15. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Was not expecting this anime to be this explicit, but I like it. Might be my favorite opening and ending so far this year as far as new anime goes.

I liked the first two episodes the first episode showed promise and led up nicely into episode two.

I enjoyed both of those animes, I like how they both progressed.

Hiro is such an ass, we all know what is coming to him at the end of the series no one will be left alive who is that much of a jerk. I am excited to see how it gets there.

Inu Yashika showed his "Shit just got real face" at the end of episode 2 walking out of the home. Really hope there is a good fight coming next episode.

Inu Yashika's family is just horrible, well the teens are just acting somewhat like bratty teens. But his wife could be more into her husband, she was the one who decided to marry him.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Hiro says you're It now. :whistle:

Kerberos and Narilka like this.
  17. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

This explains epsiode 2 then. Brilliant satire.

And the opening and end themes are garbage.

18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

When is Hiro gonna stop randomly killing people?

19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you're right. (y)

RAISE YOUR FLAG!!!!

DATABASE!
    DATABASE!

Fuck I love Man With a Mission

Sir I'm affraid to inform you, you have been permabanned from this forum.

You see this is no place for tasteless casuals who don't understand the brilliance of Man With A Mission :p

#19 Kerberos, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  20. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes join the man With a Mission fanclub. You get a complimentary wolf mask for free if you sign up now! ;)

I dunno, this is from the guy that made Gantz, his stoires aren't really the kind where the good guys always prevail and the bad guys bite the dust.

Without having seen the latest episode yet (crying shame I know but thursday and friday are like the worst time for anime to be released as those are my busiest days. (n)) I can all but guarantee you this will not be the case. So far the show has constantly subverted are expectation for what would happen next at every turn so my guess is

Nothing is going to happen and Inuyashiki is just gonna be left standing there in the middle of the street like a sack of shit. Then when you least expect it shit will hit the fan in a major way. Much like how the family massacre came out of freaking nowhere.

#20 Kerberos, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017