Action Inuyashiki

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Hiro's voice actor is really good. I checked his resume and it looks like this is his only role so far, so that's cool. Today's episode was fun. Astro Boy fans >>>> One Piece fans. If that's a statement between old and new anime, then I guess that's left up to the viewers.

Got legit chills during the episode's final minutes too.

Good bromance action too, going from this...

[​IMG]

to this.

[​IMG]

What a trip, seeing the old man's flying shenanigans. Kinda like Tobey Maguire and his first time with the Spiderman web, only this time, the hero goes AUUUUUGHHAAHGLKJH;' on his first flight trip.

[​IMG]

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

If Hiro turns out to be your typical angsty teen villain on a power rush, then I'd be massively disappointed. I expect some quality development from this series, especially from Hiro. If they go the usual route with him, then the show won't stand out for me.

3. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Aww, the guy just wants some friends.

He did go on that joyless killing spree in the end when Ando broke up with him. Although I think he was angrier about the fact that the break-up even happened, and not because he was thinking about Ando's feelings re: people who kill people for fun.

I'm more drawn to Inuyashiki's story, actually. Hiro's a good villain and I feel he also deserves that quality development, but if he's to be Inuyashiki's foil in this series, then I don't think I would mind if he turned out to be a psychotic teen.

It all depends on the execution. Even the most mundane backgrounds will make sense if the story's told well.

4. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Aww my poor Hiro how dare ando do this to him! I like this anime alot but I feel like something is missing. Well the mc is shitty imo but thats not whats missing.

5. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

Is this show still a comedy? If so I might not watch episode 3.

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Yes, the comedy is still going strong with this one.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Ky....so this Hiro character is super nihilistic. So why does he care so much about his friend? Not just that but he wants him to turn up to school and work for a better future. I did read Thus Spake Zarahustra as satire so maybe I don't get it what nihilism is.

Anyway, well put together show. I shall be ignoring any anime rec from people not watching this. Extra harder than I normally do. I like the cgi blend, you barely notice it and the flying scene in episode 3 was great.

8. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

May have been a bit quick to judge the show after the first episode - it's not my favourite thing this season, but I definitely feel more onboard with it now. I like what they're doing with Hiro as a villain; his apparent lack of understanding that what he's doing might be seen as wrong makes him rather chilling.

Given some of the lyrics to the ED theme, I do fear that the show may want Ichiro to teach Hiro the value of human love or something equally maudlin, but we'll see.

9. Enies

Enies Famous Member

how many people watching this have never seen/read gantz lol? it seems like almost all of you.

10. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Only the Gantz O movie. Why?

11. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Never watched gantz

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Imo this show has never been a comedy. It definitely has some much needed moments of comedic levity but for the most part the show is evry serious and very unsettling in its suprisingly realistic and heartfelt execution of its rather silly premise.

My guess is Ando brings him that little sense of humanity that he himself is clearly missing.

In all honesty this is what serial killers are actually like. Most serial killers in media are of the Hannibal Lecter variety, insane, hyper intelligent schemers. That;s certaily an interesting character trope and makes for good story telling (Hannibal is imo still one of the best tv-shows of all time) but it's nothing like the real thing. I've seen interviews with actual serial killers and what they all have in common is that they talk about killing the same way you and I might talk about having a cup of tea. Devoid of any sense of compassion or hman emotion. i think the scne in ep2 where Hiro is annoyed the girl keeps askign about how her parents are instead of talkign to him about One Piece is the closest I've ever seen a serial killer being portrayed in the same sense that actual serial kilers talk and act. That's what makes Hiro so scary. he;s not a serial klller trope, he's like a genuine real life serial killer.

I read some of the Gantz manga and wasn't very fond of it. To me felt very much like a teenager trying to show off how edgy and nihilistic he was and way overdid it on the gratuitous vioplence and nudity. Which I can understand seeing as Hiroya Oku started Gantz when he was still in high school. This on the other hand...this is the kind of show I'd show people who say anime is just for kids. This is a perfect example of a truly mature anime. From the way it tackles its myriad of themes to the way it prtrays its characters to its ultra realistic execution of its fantastical premise. This is clearly an adult oriented series and I love it for it.

13. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Briefly discussing this episode I feel that once again Inuyashiki managed to perectly walk that fine line between comedy and drama with its very intense and disturbing story being interjected with some moments of egenuinely funny comedy. the flying scene was definitely a highlight for me but also the scene afterwards. The look on Inuyashiki's face when he save those people from the burning building I think really spoke volumes about his character and where his story is heading.

On Hiro's part it was mostly retreading the same beats though I am intrigued by Ando. I wonder if he's going to team up with Inuyashiki and if they're gonna try and stop Hiro together.

14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Seems autobiographical as the villian is basically the author and I'm guessing theres some daddy issues involved. 'WAHT?! DRAWING A GIANT NAKED LADY MADE UP OF NAKED LADIES IS WEIRD?! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE EVER TEACH ME THAT?!!!!

Regarding his lack of humanity, maybe thats why he resents other people? I mean, he did have it taken away. We know old man was dying of cancer but know nothing of Hiro's backstory. He was human one second, the terminator the next. Perhaps he had plans before.

Anyway I hate him. Awesome villian, basically 'Deathnote: Douchebag Edition.'

Kerberos likes this.
  15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I concur, this is what Death Note should have been like. But then that's the difference between a shonen series and a seinen one. Or at least one that didn't run in the creatively bankrupt Shonen Jump like Death Note did.

16. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

I dont understand what watching Gantz has to do with this anime. Same studio? Author? I mean I watched Gantz and saw the Gantz posters on the dudes wall but other then that.

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

The original Inuyashiki manga is by the same author as the Gantz manga. So yeah...some blatant self promotion going on there even though i do think it makes sense thematically within the context of the story. (Ando being this sensitive kid who's really into the hyperviolent Gantz whereas the psychopath Hiro feels more comfortable with the simple "feels" and instant gratification storytelling of One Piece)

18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

This happened.

[​IMG]

And prolly all of yakuza went blind that night.

Tonto-banchou and Narilka like this.
  19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Phew another episode in the can and holy shit...there is a lot to unpack with this one

On the one hand I'm sad that Samejima was introduced and dealt with within the same episode because he felt like a really good mid-level villain that they could probably have pumped at least a couple episodes out of. On the other hand I think this episode set in motion something that really needed to happen.

The evolution of Inuyashiki from a well intentioned vigilante to a vengeful deity.

Call it poetic justice, call it a heroic deed, but the truth is Inuyshiki just blinded several dozen people. Yes they were yakuza but that still doesn;'t make it okay. Without a second though he decided the fates of dozen of people he didn't even know. He even says so himself

"You people will never be able to walk ro run by yourselves. Never see your wives, chidlren or grandchildren. You won't even be able to commit suicide anymore. I want you to think about the crimes you've commited, the lives you;ve ruinned from now till the end of your lives. And hopefully you will show some remorse then"

This is his judgement, his plan, his...design...I reference Hannibal here specifically because these are not the words of a hero. these are the words of someone who wants to dominate other and exert his power over the lives of others. And of course these are not innocent people they are Yakuza, but this wasn't justice, it was a display of dominance. As I said Inuyashiki has become a vengeful deity. People will either behave according to his standards or suffer terribly by his hands.

Don't get me wrong I think this is an awesome twist and it definitally makes Inuyashiki more compelling as a character. I can also see where he's coming from. Inuyashiki has always been treated like garbage by society and now that his powers have given him the chance to be at the top of the foodchain he relishes that and uses it to forcebly convert everyone to his moral standards, displaying severe crualty to those who resist. It's a normal reaction when you basically hand someone who's never wielded any real power the power over life and death. I also feel like eh's someone I can still root for but I think to still call him a hero at this point is wrong. In a way he's no different from Hiro. Hiro is more of an outright psychopath and he definitely does not conform to Inuyashiki's way of life but Inuyashiki displays that same craving for power and dominance over his fellow man that is sucha strong motivator for psychopaths. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Inuyashiki at some point graduates from simply maiming his victims to outright killing them. And it will be interesting to see how Hiro will react to that.

But yeah I think the fact that I just spend four paragraphs on my thoughts on jsut this episode proves that this is easily the season's best show. At least as far as I'm concerned. It's definitely not an easy show and I think it will struggle with themes of morality and the human psyche and what people are cpable of both good and bad much more in the coming weeks. And as heavy as I think this show is going to get I still can't wait to experience it and discuss it with you all.

20. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Who all were expecting a wild Bam! from the dark alleyway towards the end of the show. That girl's slow-mo run really gave me the panic.

Tonto-banchou likes this.