Action Inuyashiki

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Music video for the OP is out on Man With A Mission's official YouTube channel

Kerberos likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Perfect timing! I was playing this game yesterday and I had this fight where you were fighting a big nasty flying beasty and you had to make him crashland on the platform you were standing on cause you could only fight him on equal ground. So every time he crash landed on the platform I was like "HIT ME ON THE GROUND! HIT ME ON THE GROUND!" and just slammed into him singing that. Basically got me through the fight.

That's how fucking inspirational Man With a Mission songs can be! (y)

#42 Kerberos, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought episode 4 was a bit shit. That girl and boyfrind were super annoying, the episode felt like it was barely 5 minutes long and seems the creator was venting from that one time some Yakuza called him a weirdo otaku freak or some such rudeness.

4. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

The voice acting for this series is really top-notch. I think I read somewhere that Inuyashiki hired actual actors for the roles instead of voice actors, which is why they sound so natural and raw.
    Ha, glad I wasn't the only one. Wonder if the next episode's gonna be Hiro going on a rampage again. You know... to make up for this uncharacteristic ending. :cautious:

Oh, and if this ain't me all the time:

[​IMG]

EDIT: Came back to say that Samejima's pretty... huge... in more places than one.

#44 Tonto-banchou, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So we kind of had a downtime episode which mainly served to further flesh out Hiro as a character. And tbf the guy surprised. I still have no doubt that he's a genuine psychopath (as in the condition, not the insult word) but he's definitally capable of real human emotion, at least towards certain people. The way he cured his mom's cancer and then got her new apartment was actually kind of heartwarming and she definitely got through to him, the way he realized killing people might not be such a good idea after all (in a typical Hiro way)

On the other side Ando teaming up with Inuyashiki is something I predicted a while back but was still rewarding to see. I think those two make a good pair and I love their dialogues this episode.

Of course that's all just a precursor to the big wham at the end. So Hiro's now in custody but the question is for how long? Hiro said he'd be able to take on the entire US army so the policaforce of a single station should be peanuts for him. But will he kill again just to get free or is he going to stick by hiw mother's words.

Gonna be an interesting one next episode.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Wait, how did they trace it back to Hiro? And is it the murder case or the money laundering one? Don't think Ando tipped the police.

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Ima gonna wait until a bunch of episodes are out and then mini binge. I swear this show has like 3 and a half scenes per episode!

Also, Hiro will kill Ando and be super sad to the max and blame Inuyashiki.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

weird because i know thats how shonen anime are but it shouldn't happen with a high quality seinen manga. With long running shonen anime they stretch each chapter by like two episodes.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Light vibes are back. But I still don't get it. Didn't Hiro frame some 50yr old for the crime? How did the police trace the murders back to him?

10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So this week Inuyashiki gave us by far it's best episode yet. A phenomenal show stopper that really solidified the show's place as the best show this season and possibly this year.

I loved how this episode wholly focussed on Hiro and his response to the media harassing his parents and social media condemning his mother. It's so easy to judge someone when they're just a name on your screen but when you actually see the person face to face and see what your stupid comments have done to them, it's something completely different and that's something this episode really hit out of the park. I also loved how incredibly non-graphic Hiro's killing spree was. The only moment of graphic violence we got was when the guy's cheek was blown out and that was on screen for all but two seconds. Other than that we really only got the responses of people around them and location shots of bloodied floors and walls. I especially loved the scene where he gun down all the reporters and how the cacophony of their incessant questioning morphs into eerily peaceful quiet omnce they're all dead. It's incredibly effective and deeply upsetting despite the fact that there's no nscreen violence and barely any blood. Once again I also have to praise the use of music or rather lack thereof in these scenes. It's exactly because this scene is devoid of any music and sound effects (outside the gunshots) that the quiet thaty follows pierces through all the more.

These days the term "mature" is all too often associated with tons of graphic violence. Yet Inuyashiki is a truly mature series that knows that gratuitous violence will never be as shocking as depicting the repsonses of those affected by it. And honestly I'd say the most heartbreaking response has to be Hiro after finding out his mother's suicide, a victim of violence not through actions but merely words.

This could've easily been an episode where Hiro just goes full super-villain in a manically laughing manner, bent on destoroying "ze orld mwuhahaha!" Instead it's a deeply human tale of a confused and metntally unstable kid who could've been saved had it not been for the utterly destructive force of news outlets and social media.

With this Inuyahsiki has delivered an episode that is both a perfectly crafter and delivered turning point in the story, a deeply human tale and a highly thought provoking commentary on the power of media and the hold it can have over people's lives. Bravo Inuyashiki, you may just have delivered the best single episode of the year! If I'd do epsidoe reviews I'd give this one a solid 9.5/10! I absolutely mean that.

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This is not the case with Inuyashiki at all. I don't know where Snape is coming from but if Inuyashiki is guilty of anything it's rushing things. They're already at vol 5 of the original manga by this point. (which prolly means they'll adapt the entire series since the original manga only has 10 volumes)

He didn't. If you pay close attention you notice that news of the 50 yr old being the killer came on shortly before Hiro's arrest. This was clearly a ruse so Hiro would be unawares and they could arrest him.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This is not the case with Inuyashiki at all. I don't know where Snape is coming from but if Inuyashiki is guilty of anything it's rushing things. They're already at vol 5 of the original manga by this point. (which prolly means they'll adapt the entire series since the original manga only has 10 volumes)

He didn't. If you pay close attention you notice that news of the 50 yr old being the killer came on shortly before Hiro's arrest. This was clearly a ruse so Hiro would be unawares and they could arrest him.

13. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Oh okay.

14. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

I like how the show is avoiding any easy explanations for why Hiro is the way he is, it seems to specifically dismiss the typical societial reasoning for what might drive him to kill.

Maybe part of me is still just looking for a stick to beat the series with, but I do feel it can be a little obvious in playing to wish fulfilment for its target audience though. Ichiro's brief war on the yakuza felt particularly gratuitous, and (while it does make sense in context) this week's violent revenge on internet bullies kind of feels like another frustrated male power fantasy. Also I couldn't help thinking of a similarly themed skit from near the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back while it was going on...

Oh Snape likes this.
  15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Not sure if I'm backing on the wrong horse here (since I'm not the author after all) but neither massacre felt that way to me. The moment Ichiro mamed all those Yakuza was the moment he transformed from a true hero into a vengeful deity. Rather thamn letting justice play out he took things in his own hands and wreaked divine retribution upon them,. In a single move he changed the lives of dozen of en and everyone around them. I believe at its core Inuyashiki and Hiro aren't that different. They're both ordinary people given extraordinary powers that abuse those powers to fundamentally upset the lives of many people. The only difference is Inuyashiki does it out of some moral code he wishes to enforce upon everyone.

As for the killing spree in this episode. To me it felt like an immensely tragic moment. It's the point of no-return for Hiro. Upto that pont he could perhaps have turned out an okay kid albeit, a little emotionally unstable and obviously with a very checkered past, but perhaps with professional help and the desire to change for the better (which he definitally had by the end of last episode) he might've turned alright. But ultimately it's the news outlets and people on social media that seal his fate and permanently esteblish his role as a psychotic serial killer. For all his good intentions Hiro simply couldn't escape a world that seems hellbent on stereotyping as the big bad. Why? Because it's comfortable and feels good. More than anything I think Inuyashiki is about real people and the way we perceive them and the end of this episode felt like the ultimate undoing of Hiro for who he truly is in the face of Hiro as he is being perceived by everyone else.

16. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

NICE GOING HIRO! HE IS AMAZING! I LOVE HIM! ANDO IS STUPID FOR BETRAYING HIM. KILL THEM ALLL HIRO!

17. V0ID

V0ID GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!

Which is what is throwing me for a loop today with teen-angst emo-san now doing a 180 AGAIN, second time he decides to go strait, and we have our cliffhanger. It's tragic cause every time he tries to repent and make amends, he gets hosed by the fuzz.

18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The police just fucked up that Cinderella story.

19. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

why the fuck is my hiro saving people! i dont like it! go back to killing!

20. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

My Ending Theme of the season !!!

Inuyashiki Last Hero Ending Full『Qaijff - Ai wo Oshiete Kureta Kimi e』