Action Inuyashiki

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

The look on Mari's face when his dad flew away.

Finally an impressive episode. The plot finally decided what Shishigami wants to do. It was going so sideways the last couple of episodes, lost in discovery. Plus that police station scene reminded me of Ajin and how the Riot Police tried to gun down Sato to sleep.

I'm finally starting to enjoy the show.

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

While I certainly agree last week's episode was good and I, by no means, intent to invalidate your opinion, I do feel your enjoyment of this show depends entirely on what you expect to get out of it. After episode 1 it became very clear to me Inuyashiki wasn't going to be the hyper violent action thriller I expected it to be and rather a rumination on ethics and human nature through the eyes of the two very disparate characters. And in that regard I think Inuyashiki has been phenomenal ever since it started.

Personally I'd put Inuyashiki more in line with something like Kino's Journey (the old one, not the new one) rather than Ajin. Not that Ajin isn't good (as you know I love myself some Ajin) but it's a different beast entirely.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Well, one more episode to go. On the whole I'd say the show has been okay. Had a good concept and a somewhat unique protagonist but the story was pretty much straightforward. I expected a bit more depth and a few twists. Looking forward to the ending nonetheless.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

The troll killing episode.

Laughed my ass off.

Also, this is the point where the show has either jumped the shark or set up god tierage. Look forward to seeing how it pans out. Hopefully it will Ando well.

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

That live action fam.

It's scheduled for a 20th April release in Japan.

Oh Snape likes this.
  6. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

I think the premise can work better in a 90 minute - 2 hour movie. Looking forward to it and casting and effects are looking bang on.

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So I just watched the final episode of Inuyashiki.

I'll receive my judgement on it till I've thought about it a bit more myself and also because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't but suffice to say...it's not what you'd expect. Both for better or worse.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Why didn't he say SAD! And no MAGA! I thought the asteroid was FAKE NEWS.

[​IMG]

Anyways, nifty ending. I mean they were hyping that asteroid for a couple of episodes now. It felt sincere if not grand. It's been a good, well rounded show, I'll give it that. The flashbacks of the family trip that flashed through their minds the next morning was pretty emotional. This show had its moments.

And all this time I thought the dog would be a robot too.

9. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I'm only up until the troll killing on episode 6. Wtf?!

I'm not a fan of this rushed development Hiro is getting. After spending the first four episodes hyping this dude as an irredeemable bad guy, the show suddenly shoves some weepy backstory that's supposed to make the audience sympathize with him. And then, when he goes on that troll-killing spree, it's painted as a heroic moment. I know I said I liked Hiro, but that was when he was still nasty and not some rushed excuse for a three-dimensional villain. If he really cared about his mother that much, then maybe he shouldn't have gone on that senseless killing spree in the first place?

I want to see more Inuyashiki, because I think his story's the more interesting one. It's cool that both hero and villain have less-than-ideal family scenarios, but they should've just kept Hiro as the irredeemable bad guy they always wanted him to be. Or at least could have set it up from the start that he was a conflicted guy.

The troll killing was the funniest thing this show's done yet and I still don't know if that's a good or bad thing. Seems more like the author was just channeling his hatred towards internet wannabes, instead of making the killing spree an actual part of the character.

10. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Eh thought there was 12 episodes so will watch finale and prolly hate on it later.

11. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Not bad. Again, still not sure if some of the scenes were meant to be funny. Laughed my ass off during the family cry scene. Also when the dog fell down the stairs. Hate me.

Wonder how the live action movie will handle the corniness and cheese. Overall it was a okayish series that could've been executed better.