Sci-Fi Island

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Sora Senpai, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

[​IMG]

Synopsis
    Urashima, an island far from the mainland. The people who live there lead carefree lives. But five years ago, the island's three great families suffered a series of misfortunes and succumbed to suspicion. The people of the island cut off all contact with the mainland and began a slow decline. The key to saving the island lies in three girls who belong to the three families. But they are bound by old traditions, and are conflicted. On that island, a lone man washes ashore. The man claims to be from the future, and he begins a solitary struggle to change the island's fate.
    (ANN)

Studios: feel
    Source: Visual novel
    Genres: Drama, Sci-FI

PV:

Episode 1 Aired July 1st and can be watched on Crunchyroll.

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

This is cool. Just watched it.

I was trying to figure out who the guy looked like. Then it hit me - spike from cowboy bepop!

Its got some cute comedy to it already. But the time travel mystery is cool. Plus the xenophobic nature is interesting. Oh and rinne looks a bit like the sister in eromanga sensei.

That ending was surprising with that song. I think ill really like this one. It doesn't seem to be a cookie cutter story so far. Hopefully it stays that way. A few cliches are to be expected of course. But so long as they keep it interesting ill stick by it.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Island Opening「Eien no Hitotsu」by Yukari Tamura

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I didn't realize it was a sunday broadcast and missed ep 2. Just saw it.

I like the mystery. They are revealing a little at a time. Also each character is getting a back story. This makes it a lot better then just a comedy or just a drama. I like ones that are a blend. :)

And its cute too!

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow a beach episode and a huge montage all rolled into one!

fun way to get rinne out :D
    So whats up with the shack?
    And is karen trying to either a - get pregnant from setsuna to make her dad happy or make it look like he tried to rape her to get them both kicked off the island?

Wow this goes from super playful to super serious in a heartbeat.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

What the hell?

i heard the is that a y2k thing and thought it was just something about her moms time. Now im thinking that wouldn't have worked time wise either with karens age. But then august 1999 on the calendar at the end of the episode???

So does this mean setsuna is actually from 2018 and wentt back to 1999? Or is he still from further in the future?

I do like the mystery this series is putting forth.

7. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Or,
    has the calendar not been advanced since her mother’s death and it is now August 2000? I’m a little confused on the way it all turned out. The wedding was a sham from the start, everyone was in on it, each adding their own support. Then she returns to the island and it’s like nothing happened. It’s as if her father had purposely set her up to force her to discover things on her own. I have a feeling that we’ll probably be reviewing the legend again for more clues.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Griffmeister - hmm its a possibility.

Im glad its not super obvious. Or at least they are doing a good job if misdirection if it turns out to be obvious after its all said and done.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Island Ending Theme Full: Eternal Star by Asaka

10. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Island Ending Theme 2 Full: Marine Snow by Asaka

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow!

now we are going into wormholes!!! Sweet!

This is a lot more complex then i expected it to be. Definitely looking forward to more. :)

12. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Jeez, maybe if during the next storm they cut loose a bunch of two-man boats, then we wouldn’t have to be going through all this.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ahh party pooper :p

Im enjoying this because theyre letting anything go but its still kinda got its own rules. Sorta.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Island Opening Full「Eien no Hitotsu」by Yukari Tamura

15. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Visual Novel studio Frontwing has released the English-language version of the ISLAND visual novel on PC via Steam. The game will have a 10% discount during its launch week. Frontwing noted that it is currently considering releasing the game on other platforms.

Steam link: click me

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I was thinking i might get it for 10.00. but not 35.00 wow :D I haven't gotten any vn before either.

17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow new episode is pretty far out there.

the whole self contained world and the uninhabitable surface yikes. Got an ergo proxy feel for a bit there.

Im definitely curious where there going with it. They aren't afraid to do anything.

18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Island OP 2 FULL「Closing Tears」by Yukari Tamura

19. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Okay, no, this is not the way I was expecting or even thought that this show could go. Up to two weeks ago I would have bet that most of the events were urban legend, Setsuna did have amnesia but not as a result of time travel, Sara's mystery wall of random events searching for a missing link were really just random events and the whole mystery of the island was just related to a long dark history of the more influential families.

Then comes last week that blows that idea apart with some hard evidence. Well okay, I guess I can accept that, sort of. Now this week it looks like they took the worst elements of Snowpiercer, City of Ember, and Lost, chewed them up and spit them out to form some crazy story that looks like nothing that could result from the failure of Setsuna's directive. I don't know, maybe next week will be a little more sensible.

20. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Frontwing has launched a Kickstarter campaign for physical copies of the English version of its ISLAND PC game and its anime adaptation. The project is aiming to raise US$50,000 by October 10.

Kickstarter page: here