Horror Ito Junji: Collection

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown:

A collection of animated horror stories based on the works of Japanese artist Junji Ito.

Manga that this anthology series will adapt: Check here

Trailer
    :

Air Date
    : Jan 5, 2018

Official Site: here

Twitter: here

If you're a fan of Junji Ito's works or surreal horror, be sure to catch this on Crunchyroll tomorrow. Its skin crawling moments are bound to be a fun-watch.

@Oh Snape

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I've read some Junji, and have liked what I saw, but anime horror doesn't have the best of reputations...

Junji relies a lot on the page turn element to give you a scare. This page turn element is controlled by you, so it would be pretty interesting to see how they turn it into an anime.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I agree with your insight on Junji's work. @Matemar

Plus good horror in anime is rare. Gore is in plenty but good horror is hard to find. A few come close though. Especially the psychological horror ones.

As for this show, I'm gonna approach it realistically. It's gonna have a few good moments and the Yami Shibai type art but prolly nothing game changing. The positive is the source material. Wonder if they'll do Tomie?

Ito's creations work and feel best on manga.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

This one is fucking scary and disturbing as hell:

Also pretty scary at times and very dark in terms of thematic material:

Not super scary but more unsettling and solid vampire horror that gets why we fear them

Not saying you're wrong though. Just listing a few solid horror anime you may not have seen.

Oh Snape likes this.
  5. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I've seen Shiki, the other ones are on my mega ultra super ninja long plan to watch list.

6. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Well I'll have to watch this then ne?

7. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Lel, they picked Souichi's comedic ones for the first episode. I enjoyed it and am gonna stick with the show. Watching it on a weekly basis should be good fun. The creepier doll story was so short though. Should've got a bit more runtime to lay out the ambience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ED was pretty hip to. Don't know if they're alluding to Aokigahara or just the cedar forest from the first episode.

8. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou The Most Painful Karamatsu Boy
    Editor Contributor

Not sure going with Souichi's story was the best choice for a pilot. The second doll story was a lot funnier than his convenient curses, but that was only because it went 0 to 100 bizarrely quick. I'd still like to see more of Souichi though. He thinks he's such a big shot, but he's really such a nuisance. That sort of makes him the right kind of narrator-type character for a series like this.

9. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Well that was something different from what I was expecting. Not gonna be very pleased if they're going to continue with that goofiness, I just think that it doesn't fit at all. Some comedy here and there could be ok, but that was way too much. Actually that doll chapter, those couple last minutes of the episode were best, if they can get more of that disturbance and feeling then it'll get much better. Also I think that Souishi's voice is a little annoying, but maybe they're doing that on purpose.There's good potential for this series, so I'm happy enough to wait for next episode.

10. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I liked the ed. That's it. I'll watch a bit more as its ITO tho.

They should totally have a Tomie episode.

11. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Yeah, definitely. I like Tomie more than Uzumaki even though they're both great. There's one short story that had some woman living across the protagonist of the story. I don't remember it very well, but there were some scenes or frames in that manga in which that hideous woman is running upstairs toward the protagonist. Holy shit, that is one of the most distressing stories from Junji Ito that I've seen. Utterly terrifying. Tomie has lots of weird stuff so at least they aren't short on material to rely on.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad they did Long Dreams, but they could have spent a bit more screen-time on the doctor and Mukoda's conversations where they actually go full detail and depiction about the dreams, as was in the manga. Would have been a nice touch but this was decent too. I remember trying to get a hold of the movie but some things are hard to find on the internetz, I guess. Plus don't think it's worth to bust a nut and 120$ on in Amazon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390290/

The first one was just comically creepy. And I like sitting through the EDs and their changing forest themes. I was not familiar with this Fashion Model story so I thought they were setting up another funny act since the guy kept getting hit on the signpost while forecasting more serious impending doom upon himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]