Action Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Gaff, May 27, 2016.

1. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Since it's friday, I thought we should have a Jojo thread.

[​IMG]

Picking up the story in Japan circa 1999, Diamond is Unbreakable, the fourth part of JJBA, sees illegitimate Joestar scion Josuke Higashikata fighting to protect his hometown of Morioh from the shadowy figure who is turning 'ordinary' people into stand users.

Unlike Stardust Crusaders, which was essentially Around the World in 80 Fights, DiU is wilfully suburban, occasionally drawing comparison with the slice of life genre, as it focuses so much on the eccentricities of the people living in one small town. Even if you didn't like the previous Jojo series, I'd say it's still worth giving this one a try as it's much further removed from the standard shonen-battle ethos of the prior instalments - there are still plenty of enemies to fight, but the general atmosphere is more akin to Twin Peaks, or maybe a very skewed version of Scooby Doo. Despite being part 4, there isn't much barrier to entry either; so long as you know that all the important characters have a magic ghost for punching people, you're pretty much good to go.

Today's episode is number 9 - Yukako Yamagishi falls in Love, Part 2. Will Koichi escape from Yukako's clutches?

Yes.

Having read a fair chunk of the manga before, I didn't like Yukako as a character, but I can't remember what her stand name was, so I'm at least curious to see what that'll be.

2. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Soooo...like nobody is watching this display of pure awesomeness???

*cries*

3. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Theres a lot of filler episodes or just flat out boring episodes. Im willing to let these pass cause its JoJo and the animation is amazing and looks beautiful!

4. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Episode 28 allready! And still almost nobody is either watching this, or couldn't care less about discussing it :(.

Rohan has really grown on me as a character, I mean I loved him when he was the "villain", but he fits in so well now with the rest of the group. Cause of all the hyper and loud characters, we need someone who tones it down from time to time, and is just kick ass in the process. Dude has an amazing stand, and with Jotaro not having that much screen time, he's becoming one of the most important members of the team as of late.

The alien dude is just as important to though...granted he is a newcomer, but the weirdness (in JoJo IKR, who am I kidding) he provides, is hilarious. With all the filler stuff and annoying stand users this was a welcome surprise. I've never read the Manga, so I didn't know what to expect.

Kyra as a villain is awesome as well, and the new situation he got himself into, with the wife and kid and all, is interesting to say the least. Only complaint is have about that, is every time it gets exciting, they shy away from them, and go back to Josuke and Co. Give the man some more screen time dammit! Lellss

Last few episodes got me hype again...after a slow but watchable number of episodes.

5. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Yeah well, some of it is just flat out boring. lol The exposition in some of these episodes is just GROAN worthy boring. Ive skipped whole episodes like 5 mins in cause I can't handle it. The girl with the hair like stand comes to mind. I also skipped most of the end or the episode where Jojo finally plays the dice game with Rohan. Hilarious ending to that game though.

Show is the only anime I watch though and I just want to see Kira get his ass kicked :(

6. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

For the most part, I think DiU has been better paced and suffered less filler than Stardust Crusaders, but I would admit to having skipped a couple of episodes myself. Last week's was pretty great though - the end of the dice game was indeed hilarious, and Highway Star was admirably weird.

7. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Last episode was crazy! The cat turned plant stand had me rolling lol! Kyra, Hyato and his MILF of a mother are really starting to grow on me. I was hoping on some more development towards these three, and we are getting it! I really hope we didn't see the last of the neko plant stand...

I just realized...is this the first episode without a JoJo in it?

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I love JoJo to pieces (I actually have a JoJo poster hanging on my wall) but after binging all of season 1 and both seasons of Stardust Crusaders in a fairly short amount of time I got JoJo fatgued about 8 episodes into Diamond is Unbreakable. After all there's only so much Ora Ora Ora I can handle before it becomes exhausting. I do plan on watching Diamond is Unbreakable because from what I've seen I really liked it but with the show having advanced so far already I'll probably binge it after it's done.

JoJo likes this.
  9. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Given that Kira is holding the cat in the op, I think it's pretty likely that it'll be back.

JoJo likes this.
  10. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Latest ep was decent...gotta love JoJo for it's originality.
    I mean the dude with his back issues and Rohan's curiosity about that really had me LOL. And Josuke with his mom and the dude with his excellent smell with that creepy new stand user should make for an interesting bout. That's another thing I really love about Diamond is Unbreakable, the way that they bring back old stand users, mostly turned good. I think that they do that, to keep this sorta filler thingie sort of fresh. And I for one can live with that...I mean things would get rather old with only Josuke and his main comrades fighting different stand users.

Didn't get much Kyra action, besides the creepy stare at work part...but I thought it was funny

11. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Not much to say about this current arc, (didn't find the back guy as funny as some people seem to) but I really like the weird patterns that appear when the Enigma stand is being used.

12. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Well...Ground Hog Day bitches!!!

JoJo continues to amaze me with it's (main) villains. I mean, at first glance I thought Kyra was allright, and then when the story carried further, they developed him quite nicely...slow, but decent enough. And now when we are at a point, that it's about to hit the fan...he get's this new (kinda OP) power. I'm not sure how he developed this new skill, but I think it's due to him having another body now? I mean, the arrow hit's bodies, not souls...so I guess that's that's the case.

I was in utter shock when that whole Rohan scenario went down...glad it turned out the way that it did...cause he really is a great character, in the midst of Jotaro's crew, I rank him one of the highest.

Well...nothing to do now, but wait another week

13. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Can we please just take a moment, and realise the greatness that is JoJo...that switch up in the intro, the watch that saves Kyra (brilliant) and the true despair in Hyato's eyes...this episode is a 10/10...one of the best episodes from all of the JoJo series...

I can't wait...I knew this arc would be bad ass, but damnnnn