Justice for Edward elric

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wesleyv1, Feb 10, 2019.

1. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

So, I'm not sure if you guys have heard but vic mignogna has been recently accused of inappropriate behavior at conventions and has had appearances at conventions canceled and has even lost his current role as qrow on rwby because of the allegations. Well, it's recently come to light that photos that were used as evidence of said behavior were photoshopped and most if not all evidence has been contaminated.

In truth i don't know much about the situation and i personally have never met the guy but from what I've read it seems people are just being overly sensitive and at least on one occasion homophobic and the people I've talked to that have met him say he can be a little brash at times but overall he's a really good guy.

But anyway, what do you guys think of the situation? Did you know about it until know? Do you support vic? I personally do.

2. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

Edward Elric didn't sexually harass anyone..

On the other hand, fans at Mignogna's conventions, including some underage, accused him of inappropriately groping and flirting with them. Accusations dated as far back as 08'.

Recently, voice actresses Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi also accused Mignogna of sexually harassing them. The guy is a sexual predator.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Read the allegations last week, don't know anything about the veracity of the claims and generally don't give a f about what happens to the guy.

I'm always about that sub.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Did you see all the fake stuff though? A fan even said that Anime News Network took her photo from her FB without her permission and blotted out her face to make it look like he was harassing her. The same photo looks totally innocent without her face blotted out. He gave her a kiss on the cheek, her mother was present and nothing fucked up happened in that case. I'm not sure what to believe. Just watch this. It's unbelievable:

I never stand in support of someone who is accused of sexual harassment. I always stick myself on the fence and wait for the courts to decide before making up my mind (UNLESS it's someone like Harvey Weinstein who's clearly guilty). I'm not supporting this fellow either, and I know very little about him. BUT... if the evidence in this video is anything to go by, and with the testimony of the girl who's image was used without her permission, it's starting to feel like a bit of a witch hunt. If there's any truth in any of the allegations, these people are just destroying any case any real victim/s might have.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Should've seen what this monster did to his brother. Poor guys a shell of a kid he used to be.

6. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I’ve seen the sexual accusations for at least 10 years, so this reaching the news isn’t a surprise. If it’s been going on for that long, it’s probably true.

I have a friend who’s been following him for years, and he’s not surprised at the allegations. He says the guy is ridiculously touchy feely with his fans, especially with the female fans. He’s also very familiar with the groping stories for years.

His nickname in the fan community has been Vic Mangina, because he can be a giant drama queen.

I do think the homophobic part to be stupid, since it seems tacked on, because I’ve only seen yaoi fan girls mad that he only autographs official art and yaoi fanart isn’t official.

#6 Grungie, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

The homophobic bit was mainly for this one guy. At a convention q&a vic walked out on stage and without warning jumped on the guys shoulders polo style for like a minute or so. The guy at the time played it up for laughs but when the allegations came to light he said in an interview that it made him feel uncomfortable having another guys junk on the back of his neck

8. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I don’t really keep up with all the intricate details. The homophobic thing just feels out of nowhere. Unlike the sexual allegations that have been following him for a decade plus.

9. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Funimation just cut ties with the guy. Plus loads of his convention appearances have been cancelled.

Quote from Funimation

10. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Shadowbanned

Hopefully he doesn't make a creepy recording in his character's voice, like Kevin Spacey.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

This happened before this thread was even made. :p Both Rooster Teeth and Funimation cut him loose. That's why there was such a big uproar from his supporters. XD

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

No idea what Rooster Teeth is but Funimation announced this on their press release today.

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Rooster Teeth produced RWBY.

Maybe officially recast yesterday, but he had been dropped from the company already as soon as the allegations broke. There was a #kickvic hashtag across social media and they dropped him in light of everything that was being said. So, they hadn't actually recast the character yet, but they had definitely cut ties with Vic already. ;)

Rooster Teeth Firing (Feb 5th): https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/5/18212141/vic-mignogna-fired-rooster-teeth-rwby-sexual-harassment

Funimation Firing (Feb 6th) They did edit the article to include who got recast since the initial posting: https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/02/06/funimation-replaces-vic-mignogna-in-morose-mononokean-ii-after-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct/

14. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

Call me shocked (honestly)...

Is there any legitimate evidence of these accusations?

What I've seen of Vic at conventions is him hugging and giving innocent kisses on cheeks (from the situations I saw, I didn't think them inappropriate or overtly sexual). These have generally seemed to be at the behest of fans / cosplayers and seemed situation-ally benign.

In terms of being "homophobic"... I know that he doesn't hide his faith, but I've never seen him making homophobic remarks and on the contrary, have seen him arguing with protestors (who claimed to be Christians) who were insulting convention attendants. I've seen him reference his faith and done so in non-confrontational ways for those who don't share his faith.

I admit that I've always been a fanboy of Vic's... I loved how he actively embraced his profession (seeing it as an opportunity to inspire younger people).

15. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

@Captain Picard: I honestly can see it happen though.

I have this relative that I really don't like. He's not a blood relative, he's married into my family and in his 60s now. Up until maybe 5 years ago, he used to give what seemed to everyone else to be benign hugs. I fucking dreaded his hugs. They were the kind that deliberately squashed you against his chest and he'd just hold that hug a little too long for comfort. My female cousins and I all hated him for it, but no one ever said anything to him. I told my parents who were like "Why do you think that?" And I was like "It makes my skin crawl. Something feels really off about it." My mam was like "Are you sure you're not just reading too much into it?" To the outsider, it looked harmless, but to the person getting the hug, it felt wrong. I could have spoke up and said something there and then, but... if that person denies it, you're kinda just going to cause a massive fight among multiple people. Afterall, at the end of the day, it was merely uncomfortable, not what I would call an assault. Anyway, something was said somewhere because it all stopped. I was actually at the point where I was going to find a reason to talk to him alone about it. I don't fear him or think him capable of anything worse, just think he's a fucking asshole.

He just wasn't the type of person that was hugging people tight because he was over-enthusiastic or friendly. The guy is quite reserved. Just No.

So, the more I read about this Vic guy and the fan experiences, the more I'm starting to believe the fans. I somehow don't believe yet that he's guilty of outright sexual assualt, just of being an awkward, possibly creepy kinda dude. That's reason enough for him not to be working in a position where he has access to very young females though. I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

16. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Time to whip it out again....