Discussion Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: What's next for this series

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kuze, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Alright, let's stop feeding coal to the Biba hate hayajiro already.

What do you expect from this show in the forthcoming (fingers crossed) installments? What could they have done differently this season? Overall thoughts on the first season?

Do you wan't to feed more coal to the hate train then?

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought it was a terriffic show from start to finish. The pacing was spot on and the plot build up was very well done. I also really liked ho it started off with a similar theme as Attack on Titan but then in it's second half began to question that theme and truly explore the kind of nationalist mentality that AoT to a larga extend upholds. Beyond that I thought it was a very well done (albeit not very subtle) analogy for the kind of post 9/11 paranoia we're experiencing right now with a top notch villain who in a way was really more of an anti-hero.

Beyond that it was a sollid action blockbuster with really cool looking action, beautiful backgrounds, kick ass character designs and one hell of a soundtrack. The characters themselves could've been a bit more fleshed out and some of the supporting cast could've used a bit more screentime but I didn't mind any of them either.

As for season 2 (because I definitely want one) I'd like to see the show delving a bit further into what actually made the world turn out this way and maybe begin to explore if there is perhaps something like a cure. I'd also like to see more of the world itself since season 1 didn't really go beyond Japan. I'd love to know what Europe looks like in the world of the show. Or Russia, Or whatever. On a more thematic level I'd like to see the show explore the ideals of the individual characters a bit more. Season 1 did a great job of exploring a more unified philosophy but it didn't do too much on a character based level. I'd definitely like to see more of that. Beyond that just basically more of the same: more great looking visuals, Sawano doing the OST and similar pacing.

In other words: not much hate here. Bring on season 2!

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Sadly, since Attack on Titan season 2 is due to air in early 2017, I can't see a second season of Kabaneri happening until 2018, maybe even 2019 given how long AoT is taking.

I loved this show and really want a second season for most of the same reasons as Kerberos. I wish they had developed characters a little more. The show was probably a little too fast paced in some respects where we didn't learn all that much about the background of that world.

4. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Is the show worth watching

5. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I honestly don't understand the hate for the show. I've had people explain it to me, but honestly Kabaneri was super good. I'm looking forward to the next season.

6. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

I'll take that as a recommendation.

4xdblack likes this.
  7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Biba was victim to a rushed plot, definitely. Plus a few of his intentions didn't make sense. Not saying they were faulty but just unnecessarily complicated. Also not enough world building for the audience to fully immerse.

Bringing down every important station, cleaning all the kabane up with their man made black cloud and leaving the stations handicapped, open to wild kabane attacks. It felt like they were undermining the kabane threat in these situations. Also those deus ex machina moments with male kabaneri pumped with black serum in the final episode.

I mean I get Biba's intentions. Negate the systemic fear of kabane within the population by introducing them to the danger and having them struggle enough before he saves the day. Highly maddening but anime-ish plan.

Its alright. But don't take my word for it. You might find it pretty great.

Chloe likes this.
  8. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Having just finished Kabaneri quite recently, I liked it a lot, but I felt it ended well enough that I won't be forever bitter if they don't make a second season. If they do bring it back, as Kerberos suggested, it might be nice to see them expand the world out a bit more though. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing them do a separate story with different protagonists in the same setting.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I think Biba is misunderstood by the haters. I totally understand the reasoning behind everything he did. He's really quite sick if we're honest. He believes that everything he is doing is for the right reasons, and while those actions are evil, the fact that he's so screwed up makes him more of an anti-hero than simply an evil villain.

Mumei is a 12 year old child. What does one expect from someone that age only that they'd be emotionally immature. It's quite unrealistic to think that a person that young couldn't be easily manipulated by the person she has looked up to for most of her life. XD. The Mumei hate is unwarranted too. I love her character.

I won't say anything else because it moves into spoiler territory. I think the show is worth watching. Still have my Mumei avatar. XD.

Kerberos likes this.
  10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

It's what I call "the Shinji Ikari problem" As soon as you have characters in an anime act and think like actual people their age would act and think, a large section of the audience is gonna go "Booo! Why is he/she so stuuupid!" Because let's face it, a lot of teenagers are kind of stupid (it's a temporary stupidity often refered to as puberty) Most anime has teenagers act and think like people in their twenties so the few times teenagers in anime act an think like actual teenagers the audience is doubtlessly just going to think that these characters are dumb and stupid instead of being you know...teenagers.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I actually didn't like Shinji Ikari. He was such a unlikable poxbottle, so was his Dad. I do like the genre, but I think in some ways that NGE is overrated.

But you are right. People do expect ridiculous standards because it's entertainment. I don't know if you would remember the American TV show Dawson's Creek. I was a teen when that show was running. The people in it were supposed to be 15 year old high school kids, but they were way too sophisticated. I was about 14 or 15 myself when it began airing. As far as I recall, no one my age at the time acted anything like them. LMFAO. I liked the show a lot, but they weren't realistic at all.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Derailing the thread Shannon. I fear I have no choice but to ban you for life. ;)

(that's what you get for badmouthing NGE )

:p

In all seriousness though, you might like RahXephon better. It starts off similar to NGE but from there becomes very much its own show and unlike NGE is less of a mech show and more of a sci fi mindscrew. And it's protagonist is very different from Shinji.

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Haha, you wouldn't dare. I never heard of RahXephon, but I'll check it out.

I guess our line of discussion was relevant to how people are being really lame about Mumei. I've actually went and read some of the reviews on MAL today for shits and giggles. People are entitled to their own opinion, but it seems to me that people's opinion on the show went completely downhill after the final episode. They were all enjoying it and hyped, and because it didn't end they way they would have liked, it went from a 7 or 8 out of 10 to a 2 or 3. LOL!

Kerberos likes this.
  14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

I wonder where their next destination is. All or most of the major strongholds have been decimated by Biba/overrun by Kabane.

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

You're right I wouldn't. :(

I thought the prevailing opinion was that from ep7 it wen tsteadily downhill. Personally I thought the only episodes that were a bit lacklustre were eps 5 and 6 and ep7 was when the show picked up steam again (pun very much intended) In fact my favourite episode is without a doubt ep8. Right after the show had regained it's former quality and right before
    they killed off mah waifu in ep9

I think another reason this show got so much flak is because it was written by Okuuchi, the writer of several not so well received anime like Guilty Crown and Valvrave - The Liberator (which I admit is kind of awful) However what a lot of people don't know is that due to Okouchi's busy schedule a lot of the series comp and principal scriptwriting was handled by Hiroshi Seko, the writer of Seraph of the End and Ajin

I hear Russia is very nice this time of the zombie apocalypse ;)

Kuze likes this.
  16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Lol, I don't think the train can make it that far.

Also in terms of favorite secondary characters Yukina takes the cake for me. Them biceps are class.

#16 Kuze, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
  17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually it's only twenty eight miles between the nothern tip of Hokkaido and the Russian port town of Dalnjaja. In fact irl there are plans for an actual bridge or tunnel between the two so it's not that unfeasible they've alreaydy build that bridge in the universe of the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakhalin–Hokkaido_Tunnel

18. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Um, a bit of a miscommunication. It wasn't more about the fact that the train can make it but the actual crew. I mean resources (food and water) are pretty limited. They had to stop by in an intermediary station to fill up before they made it to the capital so a trip to Russia without any halts seems impossible.

Kerberos likes this.
  19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

That's...a good point...

I wonder if there are any animals left to shoot. That would provide some provisions for a while. Water would be a bigger problem though. I doubt there are any water treatment plants in the near vascinity.

Kuze likes this.
  20. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Gets New Anime in 2018

Fuji TV's live-streamed Noitamina Project Unveiling event announced on Thursday that production on a new Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress work has been green-lit. Tetsuro Araki, the director of the original television anime, confirmed that the new work is animated.

Further read: here

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Drama CDs Tie Into Game With New Story

Read: here

Kerberos likes this.