Mystery Kakegurui - Compulsive Gambler!

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kerberos, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]
    KAKEGURUI - COMPULSIVE GAMBLER!!!

Genre: mystery, drama, psychological, shounen
    Studio: Mappa
    Source: manga
    This is by far the summer anime I'm most hype for. In fact, I can’t even begin the explain the many reasons why I’m excited as all hell for this series. Let’s start with the source material. Kakegurui is a manga about a prestigious high school where betting decides everything. Thus, a hierarchy is established where the more sharp minded and ruthless people can live like kings while the more naïve and trusting students get put through the wringer. That is until a transfer student comes in who turns out to be a genius gambler determined to beat all of these kids at their own game and make them realize what losing truly feels like. This premise alone would be enough to get me to watch the series as this kind of psychological battle royale is right up my alley. But it also strongly reminds me of one of my favorite manga of all time: Liar Game. And if this series is anything like that I’m going to enjoy the hell out of it.

Next up: the studio animating the series. In this case that is Studio Mappa. Which is currently my favorite animation studio. They are doing two other shows this season though but this is clearly the show Mappa is betting big on becoming a hit as they’ve assembled some of the most gifted people in the industry to work on it.

For starters the director, Yuichiro Hayashi, is most well-known for directing Garo, a series I have not seen but was apparently really good. And when he did not return for the sequel the result was sub-par making it very obvious just how big an influence he had on the quality of the series.

However, moreso than the director Yasuko Kobayashi, the person they hired for series composition and script writing has a truly fascinating resume. With other anime she did series composition and script writing for including Attack on Titan, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, Shakugan no Shana and freaking Casshern Sins, an absolute gem of a show really more people should watch.

And last but definitely not least the music for Kakegurui will be done by Technoboys Pullcraft Green Fund. A techno/electronica group whose only other credit is the much overlooked 2015 anime Beautiful Bones, which has honestly one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. So, the thought of them doing more music for anime in general already has me plenty excited and for this show in particular…I can’t wait to hear it…I seriously can’t wait.

Now as far as negatives go, from what I’ve heard this series can be pretty mean spirited and I’m generally not a fan of mean-spiritedness. But as long as they keep it to a tolerable level I imagine I’ll still enjoy this show quite a bit for the very well written psychological battles and kickass music. No show is ever too big to fail but this one…well let’s just say I would be very surprised if it ended up sucking. Hopefully with all this I have convinced you to check out this show because honestly…far as I can see…this has “anime of the season” written all over it!​

Kakegurui – Compulsive Gambler premiers on July 1st.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Stuff is happening in this OP

#2 Kuze, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I LOVE IT!!!! When I heard it in the trailer I wasn't sold on the song but now that I've heard the full thing it's a brilliant OP and damn fitting. The visuals I love even more and having seen the first ep I can guarantee the show itself is every bit as crazy, nightmarish and riddled with pitch black comedy as that OP is. It's completely nuts but in a really fun way!

4. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

They nailed the feeling of gambling down PERFECTLY. Being someone who has gambled in Public and Private places there is seriously no better feeling then a crazy bet. They freaking nailed it. The animation was flawless, and Saori...my god Saori was beyond flawless, she was PERFECT!

The MC is kind of trash but hopefully he gets better. My god though what a great first episode.

I know it's only the first anime of the season I've watched but it's going to be hard to beat that Op and ED...ESPECIALLY THAT ENDING <3

Kerberos likes this.
  5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Absolutely agree!

As far as the gambling part is concerned, my entire experience with gambling has been playing Texas Hold Em with a bunch of friends for pocket change and I sucked at it...bad. So obviously I don't really have much of an opinion on how realistically they portrayed gambling.

The MC is only the MC in that he is the viewpoint character. He's Dr Watson to Yumeko Jabami's Sherlock Holmes. Basically he's just there to make her look even smarter and explain to us, the audience, what the hell it is she is doing. That's my take on it anyway.

I prefer the OP over the ED. Both in terms of the song and visuals. But they're both really good.

6. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Damn Episode 2 was something special! Saotame going from the top to the bottom of the barrel is interesting and actually pretty fun to watch.

I knew Yumeko was playing that girl.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Netflix has announced that Kakegurui will premiere outside of Japan in 2018.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Kakegurui delayed by 2 weeks since MBS channel is airing the London World Championship in Athletics during the late night anime time slot.

9. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Holy lord this episode was Masterful. Yumeko's reaction to having a draw was spectacular. Great acting as always by Saori Hayami but I felt as though she gave a little bit more in this episode. Really fantastic.

Mary was great in this episode as well, i am loving her development.

[​IMG] Suzui...buy this girl some fucking desserts bro!!!

I loved the coin flip at the end as well. it showed how much Yumeko just wants to gamble at any cost. It really is accurate when you take in people who have gambling problems. They do these kinds of bets constantly. Small or Large sums of money. Doesn't matter. it's the thrill that counts.

10. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Well I'm on episode 6 right now. But goddamnnn I'm liking this series! It's original, little echii (but not to much) and sadastic, and the animation and colour schemes are insane. But I don't know if there is like a silver lining to the plot, or some better backstories about certain important characters? Are they done well or at all in the manga? Cause there are some pretty interesting characters, and I would love them to dive into them a bit more then they have done in the anime. But i'm guessing this is only 12-13 eps, so I guess they'll be only doing Yumeko and so on.

11. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Story 10/10: A school ruled by gambling. One day you can be on top of the world and the other you can be a Pig. Being ridiculed and treated like human garbage. One day Jabami Yumeko transfers into this prestigious academy. A girl with a serious gambling problem and the roller coaster goes from there.
    I honestly thought Yumeko was going to be op throughout this series, but her development and the relationship with those around her was sheer brilliance. The story never bored me throughout the entire series.

Art and Animation 10/10: Well studio Mappa hit a grand-slam with Kakegurui. Good lord this animation was basically flawless. I can describe the Art and Animation with one word; Beautiful.

Sound and Acting 10/10: Again flawless the Opening and Ending were two of the best in 2017 and the BGM was freaking fantastic. I will buy the soundtrack when it gets released and I never buy soundtracks, but this one is worth it. The Voice acting though...oh my good Saori Hayami and Miyuki Sawashiro gave me chills throughout this entire series. They took a step out of their comfort zone and went with more Yandere-ish characters and they nailed it.

Characters 10/10: Again back to the acting which played a huge role in this anime. The characters were a joy to watch. Can't really discuss more due to spoilers but Yumeko and Suzui have more of a Holmes and Watson relationship then anything else which is something I enjoyed. There's no need to bring romance into this anime.

Enjoyment 10/10: I thoroughly enjoyed this anime. They captured the passion and feeling for gambling perfectly. Someone who had a problem with gambling can relate to everything these characters are feeling. They nailed it.

Overall 10/10: I would highly recommend watching this anime. It's honestly fun at points but really it's pretty serious most of the time. I was on the edge of my seat for most episodes because I had no idea what was going to happen. 99% of the time it was unpredictable.

12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Kakegurui 2nd season episode 1 has aired on Netflix.

13. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The second season will get 12 episodes as per its Blu-ray Disc and DVD release listing.