Fantasy Katsugeki Touken Ranbu

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Kuze, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Lowdown:

Touken Ranbu has garnered a massive following in Japan (especially among the younger females) and it's no surprise why (psst it's all the dashing male characters). It's popularity stems from the free-to-play collectible card browser video game. Even though the first anime series Touken Ranbu Hanamaru was a rather quiet affair, this one promises to be a real sword-slashing adventure. The staff working on this one have also worked together on shows such as Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night and Tales of Zestiria. And who else but Ufotable studio. The show promises to be a visual delight. But will the plot match up to the glitter? Be sure to tune in with me for this one.

Here's the summary via Aniplex USA

The year is 1863 as the tumultuous samurai era is coming to an end, Japan is split between the pro-shogunate and anti-shogunate factions. The fate of the world is threatened as an army of historical revisionists are sent from the future to alter the course of history. In order to bring these forces down and protect the real history, two sword warriors, spirits who are swords brought to life by Saniwa (sage), rush to Edo. The polite and thoughtful Horikawa Kunihiro and the short tempered yet skillful Izuminokami Kanesada, who served the same master, confront the invading army along with a lively gang of other warriors including Mutsunokami Yoshiyuki, Yagen Toushirou, Tombokiri, and Tsurumaru Kuninaga.

As the fate of history lies in these hero's hands, what meets the blade is yet to be uncovered...

Trailer
    :

Official Site
    : here

Twitter: here

Air Date: Jul 2, 2017

Narilka likes this.
  2. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

As expected, the animation was gorgeous. The plot is interesting and right at it's nascent stages looks like it could be a good fantasy show.

You should give this a shot

@J4sm1n4 and @Narilka

@Sora Senpai You should give it a shot as well if you're looking for a historic fantasy show. It seems much different in tone than the TR Hanamaru from the previous fall season.

Narilka likes this.
  3. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

It came out yesterday and I was looking for something to try once I got off work.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

I think it's on Crunchyroll. First episode looked good.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Tales of zesteria eh? I thought it felt familiar. I kept expecting to see bandai pop up somewhere as they do tales games. It is very much like a tales game anime.

I agree the artwork and cg is gery impressive.

This is part of a series? I guess ill have to check out the others.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

It is a part of a series. But its not an actual continuation. So you can jump into this one directly. Plus Hanamaru was more of a slice of life series whereas if you're looking for action, this one's for you.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Kuze - ok thanks. I'll just stick with this then. I like it enough.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

This show reminds me of the God Eater anime a bit. The substance falls short of being interesting. But whereas God Eater kept going round in circles and had snail-pace progression, I'm hoping this one doesn't fall into the same net.

[​IMG]

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I enjoyed the second episode. The historical era is interesting. Having a team aspect shoukd make this fun.

10. Narilka

They're some very pretty moments to this show. The story plot is a bit odd so far and I am curious where it's going, but it's not unpleasant, and will probably make more sense later in the series. Really enjoying the fight scenes.

Never been a big fan of long hair on men, but Kana-san may make be a believer haha.

#10 Narilka, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    yoda313 likes this.
  11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I can't get over how good this series looks. It actually feels a touch superior to the animation used in the tales of rpg game series by bandai. Just a hair. The cgi water and other elements they use are absolutely breathtaking. And although the characters were initially a bit one dimensional they are starting to develop pretty nicely. :)

Narilka likes this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Opening Full『Soma Saito - Hikari Tatsu Ame』

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

You know this almost has some taboo tatoo moments in terms of action. It's not quite as thrilling as some of the camera sweeping moves they used in tt but still pretty awesome for a cartoon. :) I wonder if
    we'll start time hopping now that it looks like they went back to the "present"

14. Narilka

I am still not totally convinced on the plot, but man this is a beautiful anime. The blood, the fires, explosions, and the fighting is really awesome.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Im slightly in agreement on the story. It could be a bit more. But youre right ive said it myself the artwork and choreography are top notch.

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu Ending Full『Kalafina - Hyakka Ryouran』

17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

So the first unit:

doesn't have the same personality as thd second. Its too perfect. It was cool though seeing yhem in the "present" in the previous ep. 2250 or something like that.

I need to see more before i render a judgement on the first unit.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow this last one was great. The background story is important and the character interactions has been impressive. The action is great. I highly recommend this yo action and history buffs.

19. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

My a twist

i think its kuhrino who wants to rebel and change history to protect his former master

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

This is very cinematic at times. Sometimes its a typical action anime but it kicks into high gear now and then. It gets very moving at times. I cant wait to finish it.

If you want a good action series with amazing environmental cgi and regular character animation this is for you.