Kickstarter Games

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Dunn x Dolo, May 24, 2016.

1. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I have been reading that some games start here, and some popular ones I thought were funded elsewhere got their starts here. I was curious if anybody has any games they are funding, have funded or are really looking forward to up here?

I personally am looking forward to Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. This game is suppose to be a spiritual successor to the old Metroidvania games I miss so much and I am really really excited for this project.

How about you guys?

Shadow Fox likes this.
  2. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

Oh wow Bloodstained sounds really good, especially once you throw Koji Igarashi into the picture. Surprised I haven't heard of it since its Kickstarter did extremely well. I'll have to keep my eye on it.

Anyway, I've only funded a handful Kickstarters myself, but very few of them delivered what they advertised. Now I'm skeptical of most Kickstarters, especially ones from people I've never heard of. Although I do realize that some great stuff has come out of Kickstarter. I'm personally looking forward to seeing how Rimworld and 7 Days to Die develop.

Rimworld is a space colony management/simulation game that goes into incredible depth. Not Dwarf Fortress depth or anything, but it still simulates colonists by their individual limbs, their personality traits, and the conditions they face. You can build some pretty nice functional colonies, trade with other settlements, go to war, research technology, etc. Very fun stuff.

7 Days to Die looked like an incredibly generic Minecraft/DayZ hybrid. Its Kickstarter came out just when those two games were popular, so it seemed like a total cash grab. But I was amazed to see that not only is the game pretty good, the devs haven't abandoned it in a couple months. They actually update the game and listen to player feedback. The game actually has a decent amount of depth to it too. You don't just mine, build, and shoot zombies. It actually feels like a struggle. You've actually gotta scavenge, avoid zombies because they can actually be tough, and find a temporary home because building is actually expensive.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  3. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Shenmue 3(I funded the hell out of this, I wish the KS earlier in the year, then I would've pledged even more)

Bloodsteined(I wanted to funf this, but I decided to pay off my credit card instead)

and

A lot of people seem to forget, but Elite Dangerous got its start from KS as well.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I haven't actually backed anything. Nothing has struck my fancy that much.

I'll pick up Bloodstained when it actually comes out.

I believe Superhot and Hyper Light Drifter were Kickstarter titles, and those both look pretty cool. Some interesting titles have come through the system for sure.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  6. zoop

zoop New Member

[​IMG]
    I hope nobody minds non-spammy bumps to topics that never quite lose their relevance? ^^;

I've backed a few Kickstarter games myself. To date...
    • Mighty Number 9 (Flop!)
    • Bloodstained (The pre-alpha tech demo they released was better than MN9's final form)
    • Midair (Tribes-like game)
    • Visage (Horror game)
    • Sunless Skies (Follow up to Sunless Sea, one of my favoritest things evar)
    Beyond that, a number of games that I count as being among my favorites came out of Kickstarter and similar services, though at the time of their campaigns I was either unable to contribute or simply never caught on to it. They are...
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Sunless Sea
    • FTL
    • Chivalry
    • Pillars of Eternity
    • 20xx
    Despite MN9's complete and utter failure in every single way imaginable, I still have a great deal of faith in the concept of crowdfunding for games, though I tend to save pledges of any significant amount for projects that are already reasonably far along, or projects that have sufficient experience behind the helm that I'm willing to take a shot in the dark. This approach isn't entirely bullet proof, as MN9 demonstrates with frustrating success, but it hasn't quite been enough to sour me. Maybe if Bloodstained ends up tanking I'll lose my enthusiasm, but that seems increasingly unlikely given the fact that each of their development updates has been extremely promising in my opinion.

At the moment there are two game projects that I'm following, Sunless Skies and Pillars of Eternity 2. Due to rabid and unrelenting fangirlness, I'm personally skipping out on backing PoE2 for the sake of backing Sunless Skies at a ridiculous tier like I did for Bloodstained, which was an utterly foolish financial decision at the time, but dammit - that collector's box was calling to me.

Any other recent backers for anything?

I'm still mildly salty that Shenmue 3 came along and dethroned Bloodstained's short lived position as the most funded game on Kickstarter. :(

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I've given up on Kickstarter.

I simply don't trust it and a huge reason for that is because there are a bunch of people who are simply not business savvy that use it and quickly realize they can't deliver.

If anything, Kickstarter is great for board games and stuff that involves actual manufacturing of some sort. A video game is nebulous, it changes as development progresses and challenges that weren't there when you made your initial pitch are suddenly game changers.

I don't recommend anyone pitching money unless they don't care that their money has a high chance of evaporating into the air.

zoop likes this.
  8. zoop

zoop New Member

That seems like an unnecessarily black and white approach, to be honest. While I would agree that the vast majority of projects are not worth giving the time of day, if something is being presented by a company that has had significant success in the past, has a functional prototype, and stated goals that are realistic and down to Earth, is it still such a dreadful idea, particularly at a low funding level? What of projects that have secondary sources of backing, but require a successful campaign to prove that there is sufficient interest before those sources are willing to follow through?

While one easy response would simply be to point at MN9's floundering campaign, I think it unfortunate to ignore other projects going up that are being created by people who do have significant credibility, and that bring more than just potentially empty words to their campaigns. Obsidian's campaign for Pillars of Eternity comes to mind in particular as being one such project that I'd classify as absurdly low risk, for example.

I do admit that there is always an element of risk, however at the same time I feel that the avenues that crowdfunding open up to exceptionally niche games that would otherwise be dreadfully under served make the risk something that isn't very difficult to stomach, at least for myself... though, to be fair, the fact that most of the games I play tend to be those same niche titles that are often made possible with crowd funding probably gives me no small amount of bias.

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time, I don't have too much issue with gambling away an amount of money that is roughly equal to a night out at a decent restaurant, particularly when the odds are fairly favorable. With that said, if someone is strapped for cash to such a degree that this does present a significant issue, I would agree that they're probably best off not jumping into Kickstarter campaigns.

9. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@zoop
    I do appreciate projects that use the system correctly. Pillars of Eternity, FTL and Darkest Dungeons are some of my favorite games. The difference with these games though is that they treat their game as project within their "business". They completely and totally understand that it's business first before their dreams.

It's an unfortunate thing to say, but when you treat your project as your baby and you try to get funding for said baby, you tend to make a lot of mistakes. Things like differences in opinions, changing development, difficulties in concepts, challenges in implementation... those things morph and alter your "baby" and it stops being yours.

The number one reason why a project fails is because most of these creators don't treat their game as a product in a business.

It's why Mighty No.9 was such a disaster. Just watch any Comcept video about the game and any Keiji Inafune video with him talking about the game. It's always about the game and what he wants, how he wants it, what he thinks is how people will want it... etc. He never treated the game as a product in a business and it floundered completely.

Mighty No.9 is a passion project in every sense of the word, down to voting for characters and having investors be part of the development process. The fact it wasn't treated like a business is why it failed in my opinion.

Star Citizen is another one of those games. While they did have their difficulties, they did treat the game as a product in their business. They managed to survive switching over to having a Publisher and they're still considered one of the most successful Kickstarter projects in history. For the brief moment the game was treated anything but a product in a business, they almost drowned. When they stepped back and realized that no, you can't be doing that, they did better.

Let's say this, when you fund a project, make sure you always look at it from a business angle. If you look at it in any other light before that angle, you're subject to failure and it's going to hurt, a lot.

zoop likes this.
  10. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Kickstarter is all of the investing without the protection, say, or returns associated with being an investor. That bothers me on many different levels.

The only kickstarters I've backed were hardware based from people who have an investment in their industry credibility[meaning they are accountable], and have delivered an actual product previously.

I'm all about Iga and Bloodstained but, man that annoying 2.5D perspective needs to get canned. There have been some amazing metroidvanias or brawlers with fantastic 2D artwork/animation, 2.5D is just really disappointing.

11. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Bloodstained looks great, the demo I saw already looks very nice and with the 1-2 more years that it will have in development I could see it being an amazing game after the gameplay clunkiness is fixed up.

12. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Kickstarter has a lot of potential for a wide variety of products ranging from games, to recording albums and even movies. The very nature of these things makes it so that the majority of these projects are going to fail because people simply do not have the foresight to make the money they have. But thanks to kickstarter people can start something independantly that would not be possible otherwise. And if you look at most things on kickstarter they just tend to be garbage.

I second the game superhot as its a really a cool idea.

also Kingdom Come: Deliverance is another cool one. I haven't really kept up with kickstarter games though it sounds like you need to dig through a lot of garbage to find anything worth backing up.

13. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

We happy few

Its just in beta mode at the moment and I have it on Xbox, but the developers keep people updated regularly. It's not perfect... Most of them aren't. But it has one of the most interesting concepts I've seen in a while. I decided to buy the beta rather than back it on kick starter, but this also counts as me having bought the game when it comes out too, so I'm not concerned.

I found the concept of 7 days to die really interesting but didn't back it and I'm glad. The mechanics are ridiculous and let's face it... With days gone coming out its looking.like they will be achieving what 7 days promised but couldn't deliver.

I'll check kickstarter games out, but I usually show support once the game is done