Mystery Kokkoku

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Tonto-banchou, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Kokkoku: Moment by Moment

[​IMG]

Genre: Mystery, Psychological, Drama, Seinen
    Studio: Geno Studio
    Source: Manga
    Air Date: January 7, 2018

Synopsis
    Juri Yukawa thought her life was normal until her nephew and her brother get kidnapped. As she heads out to save them from the kidnappers, she runs into her grandfather. But while Juri’s armed with only a knife to rescue her relatives, her grandfather unveils a mysterious family heirloom: a magical stone that has the ability to stop time.

Together, they go off to rescue the two, but not before finding out that there are more stones like this one out in the world. Expect paranormal events, strange monsters, and a bizarre group of time travelers with all sorts of different motives.

PV

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

My jam this season.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

4. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

It's an Amazon exclusive.

Kuze likes this.
  5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Thanks. Will have to see where I can get my hands on it on a weekly basis.

6. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Well that was a strange confection. Somehow I expected it to be more sober in tone and closer to Inuyashiki, but it feels instead like they're trying to repeat the success of Erased, with the magical-realist vibe. Colour me interested, although the girlie shots in the ED seem very out of place.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Definitely my jam, alright. This OP is fly.

#7 Kuze, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Brilliant. absolutely decent stuff here. I'm loving the concept here. At the start of the season I kept this on my down-low since I assumed it'd be another alternate time travel schtick, but it's far from it. Plus the paranormal aspect adds more spice to the curry.

Since the series is "the more you explore the more you discover" plot maybe, just maybe, down the line they might pull off a deus ex machina with some new stasis world rule but that is for later.

For now, I'm loving it. I wonder what ability Tsubasa and the little kid have, if any. It's in the bloodline I think.

As for the animation, credit to Geno Studios for the wonderful work. Let's hope they don't go bankrupt after Golden Kamuy. What many won't know is that Geno Studios comprises of several members of the late Manglobe studio (you know the Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo one that went bankrupt ;) ). So they're already my 2nd love after MAPPA cause they'll prolly pick up a host of interesting titles going forward (and "Gangsta 2nd season and don't go bankrupt" preaching it) So yeah, the art is mighty swell as well.

[​IMG]

The music team seemed like the same team from Ajin but I'll have to look it up. The tunes carry the same vibe to Ajin.

Also what is up with that opening sequence of Geno Studios with the bikers and all. Wonder what's the inspiration behind that intro sequence.

9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Holy crap...episode 4...

Towards the end I was luiterally yelling at the screen "NO DON'T YOU DARE END NOW!!!"

This show just keeps piling the mysteries on top of each other and I have so many theories right now.

That being said I do feel like this entire show is one big gamble we're taking as the audience. There's tons and tons of unanswered questions and we're betting everything on that all of those questions will be answered in a sattisfying manner eventually

But personally with how the show has been going I can't help but feel that yes...come episode 12 the show will do just that. It's really going to be the thing that solidifies this show as one of the year's best or one of its biggest dissapointments. But I'm placing all my bets on it being the former and feel pretty confident doing so(gewijzigd)

Here's hoping all that trust will be rewarded two months from now

#9 Kerberos, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I agree. It's quite a bit more upbeat than I expectged but I actually rather like that. Inuyushiki is imo one of the best anime of all time and a modern classic but I don't need every show to be like that and I appreciate how Kokkoku ballances out its very dark and often violent narative with some well tiemd and genuinely funny comedy. I find the main cast very endearing and their dynamic is brilliant without taking away from the realism of the show. Well...to the extend you can call this show realistic because let's face it...this is technically an Isekai show. ALbeit a very different kind of Isekai show.

Oh and yes I don't like the ED much either. Not the visual aspect anyway.

Absolutely agree, also let's not forget that their premiere work was Genocidal Organ which is literally one of the best movies to have come out this decade. And so far it seems they're a studio wholly bent on creating different, more adult oriented anime and I love them for it. Like you said, this is the second most promising animation studio after Mappa. They just need someone like Masao Maruyama to pulll in some really big names. Though given that Kokkoku is put together by a staff with very unimpressive resumes one has to wonder if the studio really needs any big names.

I definitally see where you're coming from but that's not the case unfortunately. The music for Ajin was composed by the amazing Yugo Kanno who did the same for Psycho Pass and Blame! The music for this show is composed by a fairly little known composer who goes under the pseudonym "Michiru" and who's only other anime work is the 2016 anime Izetta - The Last Witch. I absolutely love the music for this show though. I felt the music in Izetta was very misplaced and often took away from the experience (not that that was apleasant one to begin with for me) but I feel her style of music fits very well with this show.

Oddly enough Yugo Kanno is also doing a show this season being the music composer for Record of Grancrest War which has an ost that sounds nothing like Ajin, Psycho Pass or Blame! and imo actually is his weakest work yet.

I feel the same way. It's very odd, especially since the logo itself has nothing to do with bikers. At least not as far as I can see.

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Yeah read up on her (I'm guessing I got the right Michiru here..or not) and can say that I've heard nothing of her up until now.

I tried finding some info on the reason for that op sequence but no luck as of yet.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that's the thing with Kokkoku in general. Nobody who worked on this show has done anything of significance. The director's only other directing credit is Amnesia, which while also being a mystery anime I've heard is a steaming pile of garbage. The writer does have a somewhat more impressive rseume with plenty of titles but they're all slice of life shows and comedies such as Amagami SS and Hayore Nyaruko-san and even the character designer has only one other major credit to has name which is Wizard Barristers, a show I've never heard of. If you're solely going by staff list there is literally nothing that will tell you this show will be any good. And yet it is. Proving that really all you need to make a good show is solid source material and a dedicated studio.

Geno Studios next project does have a bit more talent behind it having series comp and scriptwriting doen by the guy who did the same thing for Durarara and music by the music composer for Re:Zero and more recently Girls Last Tour. But even that is not nerely comparable to the type of talent that Mappa draws in with almost each show.

However this isn't really all that surprising. You have to remember Mappa isn't actually a new Studio. Rather it's the continuation of an old one that now only exist in name only. When I say Mappa is the new studio Madhouse I absolutely mean it. Madhouse WAS Masao Maruyama. He was the guy that brought in all that incredible talent that went on to make these pheneomenal shows at Madhouse. So when he left Madhouse to create Mappa these guys all went with him leaving Madhouse utterly devoid of talent (hence why in between 2011 and 2014 the studio created nothing but generic shonen anime and trainwrecks) while starting off Mappa with a wealth of talent to draw from.

Geno doesn't have that luxury. While it did rise from the ashes of Manglobe, Manglobe never had a Masao Maruyama behind it and so they face the same difficulties any new studio faces needing the cash and name recognition to draw in big talent. I do think that if they continue making these kinds of awesome and different shows more and more talent will be drawn to Geno but for now I think it's fair to assume we won't be seeing any really big names attached to their projects anywhere in the near future.

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

After a week or two's break I finally started watching episode 5 and felt quite lost. Think I need to start from the beginning again.

14. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Gave it a complete watch till the latest episode 7. So every detail's been pretty much ironed out The show started off with a lot of intrigue but now it feels it's wind down to something pretty simple, given that all the mysteries have been unraveled. Sagawa's still keeping my interest though.

The very first scene in the first episode still bothers me, where that blonde woman got caught up in the spell and was somehow awoken and interacted with the spectre. Can't figure out what that means; is it a clue of some kind or just a random event.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Damn, saw this coming. They're pulling some new trick in the Stasis.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Kokkoku Opening Theme Full

"Flashback" by MIYAVI vs. KenKen

17. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

Kokkoku Review

Story 6/10:
    The story was actually really good until the brought the backstory of the Church into it. I was all about This dysfunctional family trying to get their kidnapped brother and grandson back from some bad guys, and in turn fight some people in this frozen timeline. Then things got weird, people turned into trees, people were being rescued from being trees, and a woman who we knew was very important in the very beginning doesn't show up the entire series until...spoiler alert...the last episode. This series took a nose dive after episode 6 and spiraled out of control once episode 10 aired.

Art and Animation 8/10: I really enjoyed the art and animation. Having things freeze to where they needed to be was pretty interesting. The character designs were really well done as well.

Sound and Music 8/10:
    The op and ed were top tier. I was a-ok with the fanservice in the ed. I know most people were not but hell oh well.

Characters 8/10: The characters were interesting again up until a certain point. The family was funny at times and the chicks were pretty kick ass. Honestly if I got more fanservice out of Juri and Majima I would have ranked it higher.

Enjoyment 7/10: The enjoyment was like a roller coaster. Some episodes I really enjoyed and others had me going "Oh I guess that happened?"

Overall 7/10: Overall this anime had a lot of pluses and minuses. I think one of it's major flaws was trying to find see if it was an Action or Comedy anime. Seriously there were times with some pretty serious moments and things just got weird and you're sitting there like "Did he really just ask to bang her?"

Oh also the question of "Well what happens when time is stopped in stasis and everyone is gone? Never gets answered. For the most part.

18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I knew that blonde lady was suspicious. Huehue.

Tsubasa nii-chan finally got a job.

[​IMG]

Adorable ending honestly. And they even adopted Sagawa. I love an all round happy ending. Despite them pulling a lotta tricks out of the bag for the plot, I found it thoroughly enjoying. Deserves a mention in the memorables list for the year, in my opinion. Cracking ost, a first-time concept and lovely, relatable characters.

[​IMG]