Lashana Lynch will play the New 007

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by tripplej, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

There is a lot of news in regards to this..

According to various reports, British actress Lashana Lynch will play the character 007 in the latest James Bond movie "Bond 25" to be released in 2020..

Now, this is news since the author of the James Bond character, Ian Fleming, when he created the 007 agent James Bond character for his books, was very particular in regards to what he wanted in the character James Bond -- White, British, Male, between 34 and 45 years of age.

Granted, the 007 movie franchise will want to move on from the previous 007 actors, all played by white, Male actors and still want to be relevant going forward, so picking a Black, British, Female agent playing 007 would be something of gamble.

Do you guys think this is a good move?

fyi, Seven actors in total have portrayed Bond in film. Following Sean Connery's portrayal, David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig have assumed the role.

#1 tripplej, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I've read Bonds retired and she is new 007. But he's still bond and in the movie.

So unless there's a twist where he dies in opening credits (that would be....awesome) she's a glorified bond girl.

3. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

Glorified Bond girl or not, If the franchise decides to have her be the main super spy 007 going forward, I just hope it is action packed and just as good as the previous movies. If not, it will fail big time..

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

The one thing I am going to enjoy out of all this is watching the manbabies cry about how a female 007 has ruined their childhood. It's not going to make any difference to the quality of the films so long as the actress is good. I've seen some pretty good spy thriller films with a female lead.

I do like the idea that they're not creating a Jane Bond, or something equally ridiculous, but instead just passing the 007 mantle to a new agent.

5. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I'm more worried that the movie won't be properly critiqued because of people screaming racism and sexism at anybody that doesn't like the movie.

A very realistic scenario, let's face it.

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Since when were the Bond films ever masterpieces, to begin with. I wouldn't worry about critique. If it's an enjoyable film, it's an enjoyable film. All that matters is how you feel youself when watching it. You'll find that the critics will do their job properly... and if you don't read the responses to that, it won't annoy you. Generally, I just avoid the manic frenzy that happens for the most part, laugh at it briefly and move on. You start reading all the stupid stuff people say, you just end up feeling kinda shitty about the whole thing.