Latest Acquisitions/Purchases (Movies)

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Neon Walrus, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

While I agree that it is nice to have a physical copy of something rather than a digital one due to the feeling of touching and possessing it, over time, space may cause one to seek digital copies instead. I very rarely buy physical copies now due to branching out to other ventures that cause me to have space issues. And due to me not wanting to live in cramped quarters like one might see in a reality intervention show, I stick to digital copies unless I truly desire that physical copy.

2. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

You're right, I'm definitely missing the point of this issue. I was definitely devolving it to the dilemma of physical versus digital.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

My take:

Physical IS DIGITAL!!!!!!!!

Ever since the DVD came out it's all DIGITAL!!!!! And Discs have higher BITRATE capacity which means better quality.

Just look at the reviews for 4k discs. They trounce 4k streaming. Discs just have more capacity. You'll almost always have better visual quality with discs vs streaming at the same resolution.

Oh I wasn't yelling at you Wes. :)

4. Enies

Enies Famous Member

yeah, the same is true for music discs as well. We have all moved to mp3 players for convenience, because we can easily carry hundreds of songs, while it is't quite as convenient to do the same with casettes and discs. It's funny because you would think quality has increased because it's new tech, but it isn't true. The same is true for 70mm movie theateres.
    The best is to buy vinyl for hom listenting, and just use mp3 players for the go. But I think HI-res audio is better than discs? Might take a while for that to catch up for video.

Similarly if you really like something buy the physical version, and the digital for convenience...legally....

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Enies - not entirely true for audio. You can do flac and preserve much of the fidelity. Though for my needs i just use 320 kpbs mp3 and I'm happy with that.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

yes that's why I mentioned hi-res audio which im aware of. But it's not that well supported and won't make a difference unless the artist intended to record, produce, and mix it all in hi-res bit rate. It just means bigger files. Still nothing like vinyl for home listening my friend has one it's pretty cool and it's a nice thing to have if you really like the album.

7. Strahan

Strahan Newbie

I used to be into physically collecting movies. Had about seven hundred DVDs. Then I realized it's a pain because it takes up space, I have to screw around with swapping discs when I want to watch something else then there is the danger of them getting scratched and losing my investment. I ripped them to my computer and loved it. Nowadays I buy them as downloads to begin with, as it's much more efficient. Yes, it's nice being able to touch it and look at the art on the cover, but for me at least efficiency trumps any physical endearment. Of course, my desire to hoard data led me to spending seven grand on a storage server for the collection lol.

Oh, and downloads can exist in a physical state aside from being on hard drives. I preserve my collection as such:

[​IMG]

Tapes. Even using the old LTO2 format I can fit about thirty-five or so DVD rips on one, or about 8 Blu-ray rips and they have a shelf life of thirty years.

Anyway, I digress. To stay on topic, the last physical disc I bought was Snow White & The Huntsman a week or two ago. A lot of my friends didn't like it, but I thought it was decent.

8. Undead

Undead Senior Member

Digitally downloaded: Star Wars 7, Deadpool

DVD: Big Trouble in Little China, Escape From New York, The Thing (Carpenters version).

9. Neon Walrus

Neon Walrus Mad Clown Disease
    Contributor Gold Founder

A few movies I picked up over the last couple weeks.

[​IMG]

#29 Neon Walrus, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  10. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I didn't recently purchase it, but I did find my copy of The Punisher last night, hadn't seen the case or disk in a good ten years or so. That's a really enjoyable film, it's actually one of my favorite superhero movies. Thomas Jane is excellent.

If that's on Blu-ray, I'll have to pick that up at some point.

11. Neon Walrus

Contributor Gold Founder

Picked this up on the way home from Work the other day.

[​IMG]

#31 Neon Walrus, Jul 13, 2016
  12. Neon Walrus

Contributor Gold Founder

Here we go again, this time, I got something in the mail.

[​IMG]

I got the steel case edition with 30 more minutes of self indulgent cinematic masturbation and reversible cover!

[​IMG]

Although I'm poking fun at it, and despite some major issues I have with this movie, I still like it and I feel it's not nearly as bad as its made out to be. It is unfortunate though, because it could've been an outstanding movie had they not gotten so greedy.

#32 Neon Walrus, Jul 21, 2016
  13. Neon Walrus

Contributor Gold Founder

I forgot this was out, and picked it up a few days ago while running errands.

[​IMG]

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

not sure when ill get to it but i picked up the angelina jolie movie SALT yesterday for 5.00. That's the one with the curving bullets deal that they did on mythbusters right? Which they obviously busted :D

I also need to get to my GAMER movie that i have in 3d as well as IP man 1-3 that i got on disc awhile ago. I've seen half of the first IP man I just need to set aside time for the rest of it.

15. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

The curving the bullet bit is actually from wanted

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks. I think ive got that on disc too. That was jolie also right?

17. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Man, Ip Man is damn good. I haven't seen it in a good seven years, or any of the sequels in general, and I still remember it vividly. Definitely one of the best martial arts films ever made.

yoda313 likes this.
  18. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I loved IP man. The sequels aren't nearly as good. Donnie yen is a beast. I like a lot of his movies.

yoda313 likes this.
  19. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Yeah, xep in a suporting role this time

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks.

And to those responding to ip man - how wss Mike Tyson in ip man 3? I dont want to know the story just whether or not he had any real acting part instead of just fighting.