Let's talk about Japanese Bands/Artists

Discussion in 'Music' started by 4xdblack, Jun 6, 2016.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

It's only appropriate that we have a thread about Japanese music when we're on a forum about Japanese anime. So what bands have you listened to before? Who are your favorite artists?

To start with, my favorite is a band that goes by the name, Coldrain. They're a heavy metal band, and a lot of their songs are in English. The first time I heard them was when watching the anime Rainbow Nisha (10/10 anime btw) and the intro was one of their songs. I eventually downloaded some of their albums and their music is awesome

Another great band is one that goes by the name Concerto Moon. Concerto Moon is a Japanese Neoclassical metal / Power metal band formed in 1996 and led by guitarist Norifumi Shima.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. B_Raiden_

B_Raiden_ Your local neighbourhood fedora flipping weeaboo

To be honest i love japanese music more than english music, it sounds sooo much better. I dont have any bands as of yet but im open to anything. Also the first song of Coldrain is good i like it c:

4xdblack likes this.
  3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

My favorite band is a Japanese punk rock band called Ellegarden. They're currently on hiatus, and have been for about 8 years. They got out five studio albums during their first run. Three of which are some of my favorite albums of all time. They've all moved on for the time being and are in some respectable groups. Takeshi Hosomi, the lead singer, also my favorite singer in general, is in a couple that I particularly like, The Hiatus, and Monoeyes. Similar to Coldrain, they also do a lot of English tunes, in fact, most of Ellegarden's songs are in English.

Another big one for me, is the best selling Japanese artist in the world to my knowledge, B'z. Unfortunately their Youtube stuff is banned in my country, and I can't be bothered to go around it, so I had to scrounge up something from the Burnout Paradise soundtrack. Still a good tune, but I'd rather have posted two. :(

4. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I enjoyed some of DOES songs. Gintama used several of their songs for openings/endings.
    I also listen to a few of Egoist songs. They're a duo and their music has been used in series like Psycho-Pass and the recently released Koutetsujuo no Kabaneri.

5. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Akb48 for sure

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I used to be into Larc en ciel a lot. But one of the bands that I kind of missed out on is luna sea.
    I love the 80s nostalgic feel in this song. phenomenal

Plasticzooms 80s post punk/gothic/newwave/synthpop taking inspiration from british bands from that era too. Great band I found randomly on youtube

also decent cover of The primitives

#6 Enies, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Oh Snape likes this.
  7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Two of my favorite bands have to be:

Pay Money To My Pain: Really outstanding rock band from Tokyo. Too bad it disbanded after the lead singer passed away.

Ling Tosite Sigure:

TK's haunting vocals and their intricate guitar melodies really make this band stand out. Popular hits include Psycho Pass OPs and Tokyo Ghoul OPs

Other bands I like:

Dir En Grey

Their ambiguous videos may be hit or miss but their songs will definitely catch your attention.

The aforementioned Coldrain, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Maximum The Hormone (never will I forget this band), L'Arc en Ciel and Galileo Galilei, a post rock band from Wakkanai with some decent mellow tunes (too bad they disbanded too this April).

There are several other bands who are not that high in my favorites list but one/two tracks from their albums that I really like. Finally some decent touhou metal bands out there like Draw The Emotional and Foreground Eclipse

Sparkling Forklift and Oh Snape like this.
  8. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

Kuze likes this.
  9. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Smeg any1 who didn't put their crappy vids in spoiler tags. You should be tranquilized in the balls.

Anyway, I like Yellow Machinegun, Boris, Thee Michelle Gun Elephant, Boredoms, Mono...basically stuff weeaboos haven't ruined yet.

StrawHats likes this.
  10. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I was trying to give my thread the illusion that I actually spent time to write out content worth reading.

11. wesleyv1

Oh bite me

12. wesleyv1

That's why they call it click bait bro

Matemar likes this.
  13. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

More like thighs bait at that 3rd video XD

14. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

There's only about three artists/bands I listen to regularly;

Galileo Galilei. Indie/Pop/Rock, Something like that, it's pretty mellow stuff. Beautiful songs, and they have a great sound. I usually wouldn't listen this types of bands, but for some reason this hits for me. Anohana's opening is one of their songs.
    Eir Aoi. Again with basically Pop/Rock. Good stuff.
    ClariS. They have little more variety, Pop, Rock, some Techno, Anime? songs. Happy happy songs, puts in a great mood. :3

15. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

I tend to mostly listen to Japanese artists because I'm a total weeb because I just prefer the sound of it. I really don't know why, but I'm just like that. I wish I could find more English artists but apparently I'm bad at that. Anyway:

Wagakki Band - This is what happens when you mix metal and traditional Japanese music. The result was much better than I expected.

Jizue - A nice sounding instrumental jazz-sounding band. I don't hear them mentioned too often.

Kalafina - One of my favorite groups. They're like a neoclassical pop group I guess. Their songs are composed by Yuki Kajiura, who I'm a huge fan of as well.

Yanagi Nagi - Probably my favorite Japanese singer. She does pop, but she seems to go into some other genres also.

Supercell - A pop/rock band for the most part, but they also dwell into other genres too.

Fox Capture Plan - A piano driven jazz fusion band. They're songs always get stuck in my head even without lyrics.

I also listen to groups like Ling Tosite Sigure and EGOIST, but they were already mentioned.

4xdblack likes this.
  16. wesleyv1

Surprised nobody's mentioned lisa yet

17. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

Oh yeah, I like LiSA. She's a very good singer with some great energy.

18. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

As far as recent favorites go I'd like to add AYA to the list. God knows why she's still on hiatus. Very moving vocals and that grunge definitely highlights her influence. Was a really big hit when she burst onto the scene back in 2003.

19. wesleyv1

Speaking of

20. Xenon

Xenon Back from the dead... To fu*k with your head

[​IMG]

They definitely aren't. Concerto Moon looks pretty nice btw. Look forward to a longass post from your's truly with a shitload of bands in the upcoming days.