Let's talk Comics/Visual Novels shall we?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by JoJo, May 24, 2016.

1. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Soooo...like back in the day I used to collect single issues of comics like Spawn and X-men. And around two years ago I found my old collection at my parents house again, and I started again!

I'm not bounded to one publisher or franchise, right now I'm reading Starfire volume 1, Red hood and the outlaws volume 7 and Letter 44 vol 2.

I rarely buy single issues, cause of the time it takes to get to my country, the costs and they also order a low amount of copies because of the reasons stated above. I buy the bundles cause it's also a lot easier to read one chapter after another, without the wait, and you get zero advertising which is also a plus imo.

So what do you guys read? Any recommendations?

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I was crazy into comics when I was younger. Don't really have the money or time to purchase any now. Everytime I see them in a store though I do read them if they are not incased in super taped plastic. Its a comic book guys, not money. T_T

Im pretty far behind on my info though. I didn't even realize they had finally killed wolverine until like last month. ;_;

JoJo likes this.
  3. Narippo

Narippo Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

I don't read a lot, something I struggle with to be honest, not reading, but actually staying 'hooked' even comics / manga / books I have really enjoyed I just don't read them.. because reading xD
    Tis strange, I'll happily read long messages from friends or posts on forums ..

As for what I am currently attempting to read - Batman and the Outsider from 1983. Recently purchased the complete set :D

JoJo likes this.
  4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I don't really read any ongoing series right now. I was following the Christopher Yost run of Scarlet Spider a few years ago, and that was really good, but that's the most recent series that I was really big into.

I'm a huge fan of Marvel's Taskmaster, but he doesn't show up that often, so there's not too much for me to follow for the time being.

I pick up a few trade paperbacks every once in a while. I've got a few on deck right now.
    • The Immortal Iron First (Marvel Comics)
    • Cryptozoic Man (Dynamite Comics)
    • Avengers: The Initiative Dreams and Nightmares (Marvel Comics)
    • Shadow Land: Moon Knight (Marvel Comics)

#4 Novaire, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    JoJo likes this.
  5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I'm looking to get into the graphic novel of Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin, my favorite book, pretty soon. I picked it up last Christmas, and I haven't felt like giving it a re-read yet, but I think it's coming up.

6. Yuki

Yuki Newbie

I used to read x-men, wolverine, the other x titles (i was a mutant lover lol) and ElfQuest when I could find it. Currently there is the final quest storyline for ElfQuest going on and it's pretty much the only non manga comic I read now.

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Yeah, local newsagents used have all the latest marvel/DC stuff when I was younger. Now you can't even find newsagents! Thankfully, I've grown out of those kind of comics and I can buy most of teh stuff I like in tradeback/graphic novel form relatively cheaply (200 pagecolor page book for under a 10 yes plz). Some of it is expensive though. I'm looking at you, 100 Bullets.

Completed series I think everyone should read.

Watchmen, V For Vedetta, From Hell - Alan Moore.
    Preacher.
    100 Bullets.
    Transmetropolitan
    Conan The Barbarian (the mid 00's Dark Horse reboot)
    The Invisibles.
    Y The Last Man

Stuff I've read recently - Orc Stain. Amazing artwork where the characters are all badgays and even the inanimate objects have a personality. Well some are less bad but they're all good for nothing thieves and murderers. Did I mention the artwork rules and there's amble penis mutilation? No, well there is. And its also the funniest thing I've read in a while.

http://imgur.com/a/AfJAZ#0 Warning - may contain orc peen.

Currently reading - Prophet. Holy crap this one is insane. Its been described as 'Conan The Barabarian in space....on acid' but theres so much more going on. Its about a guy who wakes up in distant future and is tasked with rebooting the Earth Empire. Endlessly fascinating.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  8. symph

symph SC's #1 Rebel
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I just got volume six of Saga in the mail- I've really been enjoying that one. I got Y the Last Man in hardcovers, that was quite good. I started Descender, which I find kind of hard to read because I'm old and they're being clever with fonts. But it's worth the effort. I was keeping up with Walking Dead, but I've kind of fallen behind, but I also kind of don't care. I feel like there's one I'm missing.

Junko, Oh Snape and JoJo like this.
  9. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Has anyone been reading the reboot of Archie? I haven't read any of the original series, but I took a look at some panels from this, and I think it looks pretty interesting actually, and I'm definitely thinking about picking up some trade paperbacks if I can find them.

10. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Woahhh volume 6 is out? Dammit!! I really love saga I thought it be out end of July!!

11. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Need top check that new Archie and Saga. And finish Y teh Last man. Yeeeeah.

Last book completed - The Omega Men reboot. Its a white lantarn story. He gets beheaded in the first panel by the good guys. And then things get greyer. One of the ballsiest comics I've read in a while.

Likely next reads ....

Elephantmen https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1041763.Elephantmen_Vol_1

They're not animals. THEY'RE WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION! Can't wait, I have first volume.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20299683-rat-queens-vol-1

Rat Queens. Looks like tons of brainless fun.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18259637-lazarus-vol-1

Lazarus. I might wait until this one is completed before starting.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28204534-paper-girls-vol-1

Papergirls. Have this. I'm thinking grittier version of Goonies with all female cast lol.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26067680-nanjing

Might be a bit heavy reading right now but might as well read it now I have it.

Also...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1298892.Se7en

Anyone read this?

#11 Oh Snape, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  12. symph

symph SC's #1 Rebel
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Let me know what you think of Rat Queens. It looked interesting, and I've debated picking it up a couple of times.

Also, end of Y is actually really good. I was surprised at the direction they went, and how much I liked it when it was done.

I'm not sure when that was coming out- I just preorder stuff and read it when it shows up. I do feel like I've been getting a lot of stuff earlier than I thought I would.

13. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I need to get back into it. I've got a few series i need to finish and some more i want to read

These include:

Avatar the last air bender : the search
    charmed season 9
    alex rider
    percy jackson and the Olympians
    the heroes of Olympus
    the kane chronicles

14. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Anyone know about the work of Moebius? I've seen bits and pieces of his artwork over the years, but never actually read anything he worked on, and have no clue where to start. Any recommendations welcomed.

15. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Its all about artwork with Moebious, so basically everything is good sh1t. I always make it a point to flick through anything of his I see at the library and bookstores. Arzach is probably his most famous work as well as his Heavy Metal stuff and are both easily found. Or used to be. It you like stuff like Jodorowski movies check his collaborations with the man in Incal (it was alright I've read one book and its definitely epic in scope) and The Madwoman of the Sacred Heart, which is definitely worth a peak. Weird, spiritual erotic thing. Blueberry is basically El Topo on even more drugs. I recall it being hard to find in English.

Damn I need to get back onto this stuff. Exotics looks great.

Rat Queens
    had a solid opening volume. Starts of like that friend you have who tries too hard and you don't have the heart to tell him/her they're not funny/interesting but it eventually starts hitting its marks and there's some bona fida laugh out loud as well as 'ok, that was super weird' moments. The action is varied enough not to get repetitive and tons of stuff happens over its 200ish pages. Episodic with an over reaching arc kind of thing which goes at a cracking pace. Bit generic though, but it does utilize a lot of satire on geek/gaming culture as well as commentary on gender roles and stuff. Probably, I don't know.

I'll read more of it but not right now. 3/5.

Gaff likes this.
  16. TheAngryCello

TheAngryCello Angry and Classical

At the moment, I'm reading Fables, Deadpool, and Doctor Strange.

I might get back into reading TWD, but the series kind of fell flat for me.

17. Junko

Junko Newbie

I'm up to date with Saga, I really love that franchise.

I'm currently reading Runaways, which is quite good actually. Completed Scott Pilgrim last month. I just got into comics actually, about 2 months ago? Maybe less I'm not sure, and it cost me an arm already. I have Outlast in my backlog, bought a couple of volumes on sale.

I'm thinking about checking Fables, the universe seems really cool. Looks interesting.

18. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I just picked up some trade paperbacks; Spider-Gwen: Radioactive and Mass Effect: Homeworlds, I also got Nightwing:Traps and Trapezes a while ago, but I haven't had time for it yet. Really excited to get into these, I wanted to get the first volume of the Archie reboot as well, but the shop didn't have a copy. I'll have to order that at some point.

#18 Novaire, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016