Personal Let's talk more about our personal lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quulix, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Quulix

Quulix Active Member
    Gold Founder

I see so many anime and manga related posts and barely any in the general discussion forum! I miss when we had the "Personal Life Discussion" sub-forum and the fact that we always had new and interesting posts.

Anyways, right now I'm waiting to get into nursing school, trying to find part time work in the meantime and lose 53 pounds. LPN school starts in May and I'm so impatient! I want it to start already! My weight loss is going very slowly but I'm walking 4 miles a day and counting calories.

What is going on in your personal life right now? Do you have any goals that you're working towards or events?

Shi and Pinky The Blue Flamingo like this.
  2. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

My 30th is coming up so my husband and wife are planning a birthday surprise extraviganza that will span three days. Im hella hype. I have no idea what they are planning and its super awesome.

After that ive got some "minor" surgery coming up, but im super anxious about it. Its going to change my life for the better on all fronts but the procedure itself and preperatory biopsy involved, due to the nature of how they are carried out, WILL send me into a major anxiety and panic episode. My dr denied my request for some meds to help me through it, but hopefully the obgyn can work with me.

But on the plus side the current podcast project for the site is going so well, Im really excited to learn about the process and software. We are recording some new content this weekend and Im pumped for that :3

Quulix and Shi like this.
  3. Quulix

Quulix Active Member
    Gold Founder

Good luck on the surgery! Funny enough, I completely forgot that I had a surgery of my own in mid February. I'll be getting my lip fixed. Here is hoping that surgery goes smoothly for us, because yeah panic attacks are no fun.

Also, I didn't know you had a wife! Congrats! <3

4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

I'm the kind of person who wears their heart on their sleeve, so it's kind of hard for me to keep things a secret. I've been taking private Guitar Lessons and I'm progressing faster than most of my teacher's students. I'm on week 6 material after only 2 weeks and I'm transitioning into chords, which is tough because I don't have the finger speed / dexterity for it yet, but I'm getting faster and faster.

I don't talk a lot about it, but those who are really integral to my life have no idea that I'm doing Guitar Lessons. They also have no idea that I'm really fit now too. The pay off moment for me right now, when my friends and I do our annual Beach trip, is to absolutely shock them with how much I've changed in the last year. I kinda want it to be like a time skip from a Shounen Jump series where the hero disappears and comes back awesome.

Mentally, I'm in a much better place.
    Physically, I'm in a much better place.
    Skillfully, I'm in a much better place.

Most of that is private to me except for a few individuals and online peoples.

Over the last year, I've been spending a lot of time playing video games and I've been really focused on getting Platinum Trophies and completing games in my backlog... and one day, it made me think, "wow, I will never have a relationship because I am completely unwilling to give any of this up."

Then, it happened. I met a girl who changed my mentality completely. In the last 6 weeks, I've spent a grand total of 1 hour playing video games. Even then, it was only a demo. She's a gamer too and she would totally understand if I played video games all day... but truthfully, I don't want to. I want to spend my time with her and I want to be a better person for her.

It's difficult for me because I can be a person who will jump feet first into anything and sometimes, I can go into things recklessly. In a lot of ways, I'm glad she understands that about me in that I really care for her and I want the best for her. At this current moment, we're really great friends who spend a lot of time together and I want to continue building on that.

I have a lot of insecurities that can challenge my ability to handle events in my life.

I found that if I take a deep breath and just roll with things, often times, it'll be ok.

5. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I hope that one day I can write longer posts. Cause I talk way more in the chat. So I never really have a lot to say on the forum. I will work on that.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I've got this sudden urge to learn languages. I mean I was planning to learn some languages a few years down the line but I don't know why I feel the need to do it this early. Damn those Sanskrit classes. Should have opted for them while I was in high school.

Anyways, so I've started with a bit of Russian.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Currently half-way through a postgrad in computer science. It's not easy to be honest since I've never actually done code before, but doing well, apart from one subject where the teacher is a bit of a dick. I was sure that I failed it, but according to a classmate, my CA mark which is already almost a pass for the class in itself may actually be worth 50% of the marks for that. If that's the case, I've passed and don't need much marks from the stupid exam. XD. All of my other subjects, I excel at, so will be fine. We are doing mostly second and third year modules of a 4 year BSc as well as the final year project all in one year. lol. Fun.

I finally made a "New year's" resolution. As some people know, I'm involved in musical theater, but as a hobby, definitely not something I want to make a career out of. I am a soprano and usually stick to chorus despite being encouraged to go for parts all the time. I have the vocal range to get these parts, but my phobia stands in the way. I have a real phobia of singing solo, so much so, that it effects my voice if I try. lol. This summer, I'm enrolling in singing lessons, not because I need them, but because I need to get over my severe stage fright and that's the best way to do it. When I asked a friend who is a vocal coach about it, she was like "YOU do not need lessons," so I am giving money to a stranger instead since she thinks I'm being silly and should just get over my phobia. XD.

Fantasy likes this.
  8. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I got a bunch of things I really am working on. I decided to finally stop procrastinating and actually work on quitting smoking. I stopped buying "100's" and got the normal pack which is a good start. Now I'm trying to slowly decrease the amount I smoke a day. This is no easy task I tell you but unlike other times I will try my hardest not to give up on this. I promised my youngest son, so I gotta be super dad on this one and keep my promise. Out of all the things I have done in life this has to be the toughest honestly. Some people think its easy to just go cold turkey and quit, but it doesn't always work out that way. Slowly but surely I will get over this hurdle.

I'm hoping I can actually start exercising this year as well. With the money I save on smoking when I finally quit, I want to use that to get a gym membership. I'm not obese or fat but I feel age taking its toll on me and I plus I want to do something about this gut. lol. I know I would never do anything if I tried exercising from home and I would be too tempted to just watch tv or play video games. I don't want to get into anything serious, but maybe like 3 days a week or something.

Finally, I really want to learn Japanese. I don't have money to take classes but Im pretty sure that I can find something to teach me online. I love japan culture and going to japan is one of the top things on my bucket list. Thanks to @sanzfei I actually have a little motivation to pursue this. Hopefully by the time I have enough money to actually travel, I will know enough of the language so that I can kind of interact with the people and not just have to stay in the English friendly city. I would love to see the countryside and everything japan has to offer.

Other than that, Im still getting gray hairs from my nagging wife, and devil kids, but that's life. :p

9. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@Dunn x Dolo
    I found that if you want to break a habit, especially a vice like smoking, it's better to reinforce your urges with a different vice.

For me, I had a bad habit of biting my nails. It's gross and visually unappealing.
    One of the things I did to break this habit was I found a different vice that was less of a problem. Any time I felt the urge to bite my nails, I would sip from a can of soda. Essentially, I replaced a really bad vice for a different kind of vice.

Eventually, I dropped my soda drinking habit entirely for juice, tea and coffee. You'll almost never catch me without something to drink, but I much rather have that than something like biting my nails.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  10. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

@Dunn x Dolo I quit smoking cold turkey about 9.5 years ago. It was tough, like really really tough. I had a hard time for about 2 weeks having a hard time wondering what to do with my hands. I still, and probably always will, have times even now when I really want to smoke. If you can get chantix I highly recommend that it has worked for a lot of people that I know.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  11. sanzfei

sanzfei Night Shift
    Platinum Founder

Glad to hear it. If you need any help feel free to ask. Maybe we should make a "Dunn learns Japanese" thread or something.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  12. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

I haven't been around here much as of late. My work schedule has changed since I've been on light duty, leaving me with less free time. January was a ridiculously busy month, with what felt like things to do, appointments, and places to go pretty much every day. Despite being so busy we were able to get some anime in there :) February I'm hoping slows down just a bit. Though once a week we're taking our new dog to obedience class and I will now have a doctor appointment every week. Construction on our basement has also started so there's putting up with that and decisions to be made as it goes. Unfortunately the basement will not be complete before the baby arrives, though hopefully we will only have to put up with the construction a couple of weeks with a newborn. I’m very pregnant, very uncomfortable, and very tired. Just over 4 weeks left to go till my due date, so in the home stretch. We’re mostly prepared at this point, with just some little things to do here and there. I’ll be working right up until labor… so hopefully I won’t go into labor while actually at work. But it’s not like it won’t be an excruciatingly long time for the baby to come once labor starts. I’m not looking forward to it, but I also want this baby out lol

Narilka and Novaire like this.
  13. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Dunn, maybe your wife wouldn't nag so much if she didn't think you were having an online affair with a waitress at an Irish/Mexican restaurant.
    "DUNN, are you on the computer with O'Taco's again?"

Seriously though, best of luck with quitting the coffin nails. You'll be glad you did.

Me, I am anxiously awaiting some sign of spring in the coming months. I swear each winter gets harder and harder to work out side, even being as mild as it has lately. May take a break next month and visit my sister and her husband in FL, should be nice and toasty there by then.

A lot of you guys are tackling self improvement projects, please pass along any secrets to improving willpower. While I could stand to lose 15 pounds I really need to get some range of motion back which will help my posture, too. Just need some dedication to get on a program, might consider a gym myself.

Narilka and Dunn x Dolo like this.
  14. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Inner Demon

i have to have majority of teeth pulled later this month due to bad genes and possib either full or partial dentures not looking forward to it, then this fall i plan to finish my comp science maj

15. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister The Mangled One

After losing my government job for the reason of I couldn't tell you why and then being denied my job back, I am very glad I kept my other job. Sure, it doesn't have the benefits or pay of the government, but it's somewhat stable. Even though the big boss came in last Monday and decided to lay off a full time employee because he wants to get more money for his own retirement. As a result, I had to promote and train another employee to be a manager. These things happen, I suppose.

Still looking into moving out of this state.

16. Gus

Gus Senior Member

Nothing much, I just moved into a new place. It is a lot nicer, bigger and in a better neighborhood. Glad to be out of that hell hole I used to live in.

17. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister The Mangled One

Prepping myself for the weekend of convention hopping. Already got the time off from work and I'm prepared to buy a shitload of merchandise, mostly items that I will say, "I NEED that in my life," about. Too bad my co-worker who was hyped as hell to go will be unable to attend. His girlfriend decided that that is the day she wants to spend time with him. The same girlfriend who threatens him and yells at him constantly. He told me she's only doing this because she found out he was going somewhere without her to have fun, without her. He said he knows, but he still doesn't want to rock the boat. Seriously, why is he still with her?! I'm also trying to to cure a sore tooth. Shit hurts. But I have been using oil pulling as well as putting clove oil on it. Works like a charm, but clove oil burns like a fire. It will also numb any flesh it touches. But that stuff is a wondrous oil as far as I am concerned.

18. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

It's looking more and more like I'll be getting deployed this summer, which I absolutely do not want.

I'm just counting down the days until I'm out of the military.

19. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I have countless family members who were active duty and most retired. My mother was enlisted in the Air Force but ultimately retired as an officer in the Navy. It can be rough. I hope you stay as safe as you possibly can if you do have to deploy.

20. LilithVonBoch

LilithVonBoch Born to struggle, raised to strive.

Aside being a NEET and not putting my video game skills to good use, I might end up finishing school, get flying lessons and then put my flying skill to good use to join the Air force. A lot of work, especially for the branch I want, might be worth the shot in the long run. I've also been more stable in general compared to the usual problems, 2017 sounds good so far.