Personal Let's talk more about our personal lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saturna, Feb 2, 2017.

1. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

My husband and I have further discussed things and I think we're leaning towards me quitting my job. I was just faced with a situation the other week where he was gone on a trip and I got a subpoena on top of work and was looking at having to pull together the possibility of needing over 16 hours of childcare in one day. Luckily it got cancelled but I was pretty screwed in the moment. And that was not the first of example of those types of difficult situations and by far won't be the last. Every year he's traveling more and more which really puts me in a hard place with my schedule when he is gone. And looking into the future when she starts school I foresee things getting more difficult. After school activities, homework, etc... I won't be home in the evenings and my husband a lot of times is not home from work until almost her bed time or even after. Could we have an au pair take on those responsibilities, yes, but I don't see that as ideal. Basically it boils down to the sacrifices we make for me to have a job outweigh the benefits. We don't need my income and god forbid something would happen we easily have at least a year of expenses in savings not including 401k or investments. I'm basically working for the sake of working. That isn't to say I won't ever go back to work full time but right now we're thinking it's a time to shift our priorities. My husband has been all for it as it will allow so much more family time and will be a boost for his career since he will be more flexible. I'm still a little bit on the fence just because there is so much ingrained in your career. Then again I already am the primary parent and pretty much already do almost everything around the house, so it would be more like going down to one job from two haha

Interest1ng likes this.
  2. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

Best of luck to you. Child rearing is not easy, I can tell you. And unfortunately, it doesn't get cheaper as the years go by. Every year, old problems go away and new one's come in. lol. Such is life. :)

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

@cberg: It's a difficult decision to make. But... you get to spend more quality time with your daughter before she starts school. That in itself has its rewards. ^^ A close friend of mine recently did the same thing. She dropped to part-time for a while, but then decided to stay home altogether. She was just stressed out trying to juggle work and childcare. Her husband is making enough money anyway, so there's no financial reason for her to continue stressing. She's planning to return to work when the youngest of her 2 kids starts primary school.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

4. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

My cousin is dying and there is nothing we can do.
    Many years ago, when I was 16 years old, I underwent a bone marrow transplant. I donated my marrow to my cousin, who was dying from a rare form of cancer. A bone marrow transplant was the only way he could survive. I went through it and it saved his life. Unfortunately, about two years ago, he become extremely ill and it was discovered he had developed Graft-versus-host disease or GvHD, a very severe version of it. Essentially, the transplant he got is now destroying him from the inside. It's odd that it waited years and years before taking hold, but that can happen. Within months of being diagnosed, my cousin could no longer walk. He is now bedridden and cannot even speak. He has almost no muscle mass and looks a skeleton with skin. He is estimated to have perhaps a month more to live, if lucky. It's absolutely horrible because there is nothing that can be done. His sons are coming into town in a week to see their father one last time. I hope he hangs on until then. I visited him today and it was awful. I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to live like that. This is weighing heavy on me because he's only three years older than me. Puts my whole life into perspective. I could never have imagined how fortunate I am to even be able to walk and talk until I saw my cousin in a bed, unable to do either.

5. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your cousin's deteriorating health issues. Prayers to your cousin and family.

We do take our health for granted and we don't realize that at any moment, our health can go..

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Oh wow, @Mr. Mister very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your cousin and your family.

7. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Man, that is terrible news. Just remember that we are here for you. If you need to vent, we will listen, console or even take abuse to help you get by.

8. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

As of 1 AM on Friday morning, my cousin passed away.
    Needless to say, the family is devastated. His sons had yet to arrive, but it appears as if he could not hold on any longer. It's a sad day for everyone, but at least my cousin is at peace and is in pain no more. My aunt and uncle are going out of town. They said they need time to fully comprehend everything and to clear their minds. I don't blame them.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

My condolences, Mr. Mister. May he rest in peace. He is at peace now, and his suffering is over, but it's so difficult for those left behind. My thoughts are with his parents and his young family.

Hope you are holding up okay.