Personal Let's talk more about our personal lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saturna, Feb 2, 2017.

1. tripplej

tripplej Established Member

Best of luck to you. Child rearing is not easy, I can tell you. And unfortunately, it doesn't get cheaper as the years go by. Every year, old problems go away and new one's come in. lol. Such is life. :)

2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

@cberg: It's a difficult decision to make. But... you get to spend more quality time with your daughter before she starts school. That in itself has its rewards. ^^ A close friend of mine recently did the same thing. She dropped to part-time for a while, but then decided to stay home altogether. She was just stressed out trying to juggle work and childcare. Her husband is making enough money anyway, so there's no financial reason for her to continue stressing. She's planning to return to work when the youngest of her 2 kids starts primary school.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

3. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

My cousin is dying and there is nothing we can do.
    Many years ago, when I was 16 years old, I underwent a bone marrow transplant. I donated my marrow to my cousin, who was dying from a rare form of cancer. A bone marrow transplant was the only way he could survive. I went through it and it saved his life. Unfortunately, about two years ago, he become extremely ill and it was discovered he had developed Graft-versus-host disease or GvHD, a very severe version of it. Essentially, the transplant he got is now destroying him from the inside. It's odd that it waited years and years before taking hold, but that can happen. Within months of being diagnosed, my cousin could no longer walk. He is now bedridden and cannot even speak. He has almost no muscle mass and looks a skeleton with skin. He is estimated to have perhaps a month more to live, if lucky. It's absolutely horrible because there is nothing that can be done. His sons are coming into town in a week to see their father one last time. I hope he hangs on until then. I visited him today and it was awful. I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to live like that. This is weighing heavy on me because he's only three years older than me. Puts my whole life into perspective. I could never have imagined how fortunate I am to even be able to walk and talk until I saw my cousin in a bed, unable to do either.

4. tripplej

tripplej Established Member

Sorry to hear of your cousin's deteriorating health issues. Prayers to your cousin and family.

We do take our health for granted and we don't realize that at any moment, our health can go..

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Oh wow, @Mr. Mister very sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your cousin and your family.

6. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Man, that is terrible news. Just remember that we are here for you. If you need to vent, we will listen, console or even take abuse to help you get by.

7. Mr. Mister

As of 1 AM on Friday morning, my cousin passed away.
    Needless to say, the family is devastated. His sons had yet to arrive, but it appears as if he could not hold on any longer. It's a sad day for everyone, but at least my cousin is at peace and is in pain no more. My aunt and uncle are going out of town. They said they need time to fully comprehend everything and to clear their minds. I don't blame them.

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

My condolences, Mr. Mister. May he rest in peace. He is at peace now, and his suffering is over, but it's so difficult for those left behind. My thoughts are with his parents and his young family.

Hope you are holding up okay.

9. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher body and mind

I'm returning to University to finish my degree.

Shannon Apple and Kuze like this.
  10. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I did a 50 mile biking event a few weeks ago, and I'm planning a bikepacking trip for the fall. Another one of my friends got married recently, it was a totally different kind of wedding so that was super fun. Got an offer to work somewhere for much much more $$$, but tbh I don't think I can take them up on it, it just doesn't jive well with who I am. I'm pretty healthy, I've got lots of friends from all over the world who I work with, my work is fun and important, I can eat out and play video games occasionally, life is good.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Oh, you're right, money isn't everything. A family member did the opposite thing last year. He took a paycut to leave a job that was stressing him out. He had a million and one job titles, was the one to call 24/7 when the company had a problem. He basically couldn't even go on vacation without someone asking him to get on a computer and bail them out of a situation. They even offered him a 10k payrise to stay and he was like... NOPE. He took a payrise before after threatening to leave and he ended up getting even more responsibilities. (Might as well get their money's worth, right?) Now he has little to no stress at his new place, one job title, a social life and so on.

12. Mr. Mister

My cousin's memorial service was today. He had chosen to be cremated and had already purchased urns for each of his children before he passed. He said he wanted his kids to have a piece of him with them always. There were so many people that attended. It made me wonder if I would have the same impact on people when I pass. I don't have any answers for that.
    I have made arrangements after so long of grappling with this idea. I am leaving for the unknown. I will be cutting ties to this place that has kept me tethered all my life. I am moving away, to the other side of the country. Moving where I will be by myself. My uncle has agreed to help me in this regard. When I was younger, I never understood my uncle and why he moved away, to be by himself. I understand it now. I know the feelings all too well, I understand him fully now. I suppose that's why when he visited last year, we understood each other without even speaking much. We connected so well in an incredibly short amount of time. It's because I feel what he did, I am like him when he was my age. Unless you know what I feel, I could never explain it to make others understand. But I know I have to do what my uncle did and get away, separate and seek myself where all around me will be nature and the calming peace of solace. I will be leaving for a few weeks to find a place to live. My uncle chose to live his life this way, maybe I will as well. I do not know what my future holds, but I have hope in it.

13. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Best of luck with your move. I hope that you are doing this to find room to grow on your own but not leaving everything behind. We are still here and willing to lend our support. Reach out to us, even if it’s just to say hi.

14. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I haven't been here in forever so might as well update yall on myself.

My wife got laid off from her previous job so I ended up getting a second job on the weekends. So yeah Im working 7 days a week now. Job is with Wells Fargo Bank in their print room. Job is easy but the tough part is working 11-12 hours each day and being on my feet the entire time. Working that many days straight is pretty brutal and the only breaks I get are if I take PTO from my main gig on the weekdays. My wife got a new job but its not perm unfortunately. It has the potential to be perm though so hopefully it works out.

Other than that kids are still a pain in my ass, life is still a bitch, Im still a saracastic asshole, and Im still just living life as best as I can be. :)

15. Mr. Mister

My family does not want me to leave, but I cannot stay here any longer. I see no future for myself here. Everything is crumbling around me where I am and I will not build a foundation upon this ground for I do not know if that ground will even be there a few years down the road. Nothing in life is certain, but I will not stay where I am now because there is nothing for me here. Will it be hard? Absolutely, but I can make a better life for myself out there hopefully. It worked for my uncle and his son. My family is the only thing keeping me here and it's time to move on. I will still talk to them and so on, but I have to live my own life now in my own way. I just wish I had done this long before now. But it's better now than never.

16. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

There is no time limit for change, people have done it throughout their lives. I hope that you have at least planned out some of your moves, and don’t forget Plan B. When you get to where you want to go just keep an open mind, there might be a wonderful opportunity that you didn’t even know existed.

17. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Welcome back, I think. With any luck the wife will become perm sooner rather than later. I would seriously recommend using a back support for all those hours on your feet, especially if there is no mat to stand on. You will feel that before long, believe me.

Um, put the kids on here. I want a second opinion on who the PITA is.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  18. Mr. Mister

My uncle has told me he already has jobs lined up from several businesses in the area. My uncle knows many business owners and well-to-do individuals where he lives, but you wouldn't know it because he lives very simply. My uncle started off as a nobody there and built his way up. People have told me getting his respect is incredibly hard. He has vouched for me for these jobs as well as told me I have earned his respect and where I am going, that is worth more than gold. I am hoping for the best here. I still have a whole life ahead of me and I want to make my mark, even if I am the only one who sees it and appreciates it.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  19. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Sounds like you’re off to an enviable start. Yeah, I know, it’s not going to be a cake walk. Hopefully you can acclimate quickly to your new environment. Once you’re settled in get out and explore the area some. I want to know if there’s any really cool stuff out there.

20. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

Life is chugging along just fine. I'm down to "part-time" aka working a couple of days a month. Life is a lot less complicated than it used to be. I actually have free time. My husband is in China this week so I have lots of free time :D. After he gets home, we're debating whether to hit up Wizard World one the convention days. It's going to be a bit of a trek, and I'm sure my daughter would love it, but we would be limited what we can do there. We'll see I guess.

Interest1ng likes this.