Personal Let's talk more about our personal lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saturna, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Haha! This is a great story. Hope you both had a great holiday despite the rough start.

My Dad broke his arm (then passed out from the pain/38C heat) on a family holiday in the Czech Republic some years back. Oh the commotion. Only saving grace is that we were returning to Ireland the next day. lol.

2. Crimson

Crimson New Member

It's been a hard 2019 for me. I met two girls in 2018 that I fell in love with and lost them both.

The latter one towards the start of the year and for the whole year, I kept trying and moving, yeah, but I just couldn't stop thinking about her, and regretting that I couldn't get back in contact with her, and that she was gone forever.

I've never felt so stagnant as I did in that year. But.... progress still happened, just slow. I hope to get the ball rolling again. Not in finding another girl in a rebound or anything, but just not let it drag me down as much as it has been. Be a little more.... fiery with moving past it.

3. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Today I'm meant to sit at a stall and proclaim the virtues of joining my Varsity's Anime Club of which I have claimed the coveted title of VP. I have found my old SOS Brigade banner which my brother won at a local convention (he got carried by some random in Sailor Moon trivia). So anyways I have an important thing in which I meant to be social with a bunch of strangers. I don't feel nervous about this, however I haven't been sleeping tonight and I should really get a full night's sleep. I believe we are meant to be located outside this year so I hope the sunlight will keep me functioning throughout.

Kuze likes this.
  4. Leaf

Leaf Newbie

To share a bit about myself I never had good luck in finding good types of people to befriend pretty much my whole life. I guess I'm too nice or something and people take advantage of that, as well other things about me they found out. I had been hurt online and in person so much I lost count. I'm at the point in my life now if I never have any relations with people I'm alright with it and fully accept it. True, it would be extremely lonely but if you've been through what I have you could possibly understand why I'd consider that. Some things that happened to me were pretty traumatic others just how it is in the world we live in today you hear about. Something else about me is I'm also NOT afraid to speak my mind and tell it how it is. I don't sugar coat things with people and keep it 100% real with you. What ever happens, happens is what I go by now. I'm not desperate for friends eaither and I really take my time getting to know others. So if your not a patient person I apologize then it's how it is. I have my reasons why and I just don't trust you just like that

Shannon Apple and Crimson like this.
  5. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Hang in there.
    I feel, given your actions in coming here, that your general mentality is that you don't want to live such a life. It's just you've come to this decision from the things that have happened to you. But that's the thing, we all go through that; you can't let it bring you down. Keep moving forward and things will always improve. It's mindset that is key above all else.
    You only fail when you set yourself up for failure.

So the fact you're now taking action to try and remedy it is admirable. It shows to me a genuine want and drive, but you gotta stick with it. As you say, things take time, so it might take awhile, but one step at a time. And you'll be surprised.

What I found most surprising in your description of yourself is acute social anxiety, yet no fear whatsoever in not mincing words. Such traits generally don't go together at all, and I feel that side of yourself might be your true self without the anxiety. Someone with a lot of confidence, so it's more that I say don't let anxiety bring down who you really are, or who you want to be.

Sorry if I'm assuming; I like to read into people, and there was a lot to read into, and I hope things start going well for you. It hit a bit close to home, I guess.

Leaf likes this.
  6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I used to be very similar to you in some ways, and perhaps I've just become better at hiding social anxiety, rather than having overcome it. I was bullied very harshly in school, so my confidence was very much pushed down to nothing. I found it difficult to make friends, but it was because I didn't think very highly of myself. When I went to college, I decided that I would be the kind of person to include people who were excluded because I had gone through that and knew what it was like. I invited people who were left out on their own to join my group of friends from class and that backfired on me. I ended up regretting it as I got totally trampled on. I am not painting myself as some super nice person, or anything, but I was super naive. I did, however, believe in treating others the way I'd like to be treated and felt betrayed when people didn't think the same way and treat me with the same respect I gave them. Sometimes, people who are alone are alone for a reason. I think it's important to be able to identify the difference between a shy person and someone who has no friends because they're difficult to get along with. I certainly didn't make that distinction when I was younger. Experience means that I can pretty much see through these types of people now and steer well clear.

Now that I'm older and wiser, like you, I never sugarcoat the truth. If something is bothering me, I am going to come right out and say it. I might not say it right away haha, but if it's something continuous and bothersome... I'm saying something even if it's something that a person might not want to hear.

7. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

Had to have another surgery, albeit a minor one compared to the last one which stitched my legs back together. I had been having issues with one of my toes for a few weeks now. My doctor thought it was an ingrown toenail and prescribed a treatment regiment for that. It only got worse and the pain became so severe, I had to go to an urgent care facility. The doctor comes in, takes one look at it and says, "That is infected. We are going to have to remove that nail entirely." He then told me, "I'm so sorry, that looks incredibly painful." He was right, it was excruciating pain. He numbed me up and removed the whole nail. Apparently, I had damaged the nail a bit, probably from stubbing my toe some time back. And when that happened, bacteria got into it and started to destroy the nail and infect my toe. Good news is with the nail gone, the infection site is also gone and any remnants are being destroyed by medication now. Bad news is I have to change the dressing every night and the nerves are raw, which makes it very painful. I'm back to walking funny again and I had just fully recovered after the car accident. But with me being stuck at home due to the quarantine, I have plenty of time to heal up.

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

That sounds sore, but I'm really glad to hear that your other surgeries were a success. That was such a scary thing to go through!

9. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I haven't said much here lately mostly due to my life getting flipped and turned upside down.

I have had a roller coaster of emotions high's and low's.

In the past year... I have had more loss than I want to ever experience again. 1st we lost my wife's grandmother, then I lost my job in October, and then I lost another daughter that was born pre-mature in January.

It is hard and nothing in life ever prepares you for these things. I think that I am ready for it, but I am just lying to myself constantly. After being out of work for 3 months I finally got a great opportunity as a Director of Operations for a local family owned company.

I have learned a lot and then slapped in the face with a pandemic that has caused our company to have to lay off a good portion of our work force due to the decrease in business.

I am keeping my head up and looking forward to the day that we can come out of this on top and making money again.

Koda likes this.
  10. Koda

Koda Senior Member

Well since I was last on here, I moved up from Commis-JnrSous-Sous and Now Head chef as of November. I then got promoted in January to Regional trainer for our Southern England Sites. Career wise I couldn't have asked for more, I've worked so hard and I've been paid back for it which has given me hope that good companies do exist. Personally I visited Japan for the 2nd time in September for my 24th Birthday, which was just amazing . I broke up with my GF of 4 years back in December. That's pretty much about it mostly work work work. Until now