Personal Let's talk more about our personal lives!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saturna, Feb 2, 2017.

1. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

Is it university or high school? I don't know where you live, but do you have to pay for your education?

Depending on those factors and not to belittle your personal struggle, things can be worse. Look at it from that perspective, or at least try.

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

High school, you don't need to pay. Though I was thinking about going into adult education (which you need to pay for). I would probably finish faster then the guys who passed normally. In that time that I would finish early I could start working and earn back what was spent, so it negates each other.

My mom doesn't want to do that since she's worried that employers would be worried about hiring somebody with "adult education" on their resume. Since people that come out of adult education are traditionally losers. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I know for a fact that I can finish high school, I just want to finish it faster (especially now that I failed a year). I'm not interested in any higher education, so I would start working as soon as possible.

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

1. Study Physics hardcore.
    2. Use knowledge to invent time machine.
    3. Go back in time and pass exam.

Easy.

Good luck.

Matemar likes this.
  4. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I'm attending university in the States and believe or not, I'd rather repeat 12th grade than be in this can of shit I've put myself in. Build the time machine from above and re-do my actions.

I'm not saying your issue is not as bad as mine (let's not one-up each other's struggle--dumb as fuck), but you definitely get out of your can of shit.

5. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

It's not really a "can of shit", tbh. I was devastated cause I'll have to go to school a year longer, that's it. It's a pain in the ass more then anything.

StrawHats likes this.
  6. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Im graduating in 8 weeks and Im pretty terrified tbh
    Landing a job has been frustrating, mainly because the field im going itno is very broad but also each job is super specialized.. It doesn't help that many employers are asking for 5 years experience for entry level positions. I apply anyway, but its still frustrating. I don't feel like my degree is useless, or was a waste of effort, I just think the job industry as a whole is kind of out of touch with what they are offering vs what they are looking for.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  7. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

About two weeks ago I was let go from my job. No real reason as to why just brought to a room and handed my severance paperwork to me. Nothing fancy just four weeks of pay.... So i started looking for a new job, and a new job landed in my lap the very next week. Which isn't the same position but a promotion... with a nice relo package and a yearly bonus. Still with the same company, but much much easier work flow.

One Door closed and another opened for bigger and better things. But it has been a hell of a couple of weeks that is for sure.

#167 Interest1ng, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

Got back from a vacation in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and that has solidified the fact that I am not ready for cold weather. I'm ready for another vacation. Since getting back I've been having the urge to purge and organize some of the house but I just don't have the energy. My husband has been traveling a lot for work and I don't think he realizes how much it takes a toll on me keeping up with work, kid, and house. And with my schedule I already lose out on a lot of sleep, which only gets worse when he's gone. One of these days I'm going to murder him.... but I didn't say that ;). When he gets back we're going to have a serious conversation about him pulling his weight around the house before I lose my shit

9. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Make sure you have a good place to hide the body, that can be troublesome if you don’t plan ahead.

10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I want to apologise to everyone for my lack of activity over the past several weeks. The truth is that the pain from my back injury had gotten a LOT worse. It's really no fun. Though, the latest is that I'll be getting surgery to correct it. Had an appointment with neurosurgeon to discuss options and it's been decided.

People tend to think when they hear of spinal issues that the treatment is a fusion. That's actually not the case here. My spine structure itself is perfectly fine. It's a bulge in my disc that is pushing into the spinal canal, pressing on the sciatic nerve and causing a hell of a lot of pain. They snip that piece of disc away, problem solved, or at least that's the intent.

I will try to be around a little more now that the pain is a little more under control again. :)

BTW... Congrats @Interest1ng, that's great news.

@Pinky You know, as frustrating as this is because you're older now, you might just have to go beg someone for a 3 or 6 month internship to prove to them you can do it. I actually did that when I went from freelance to studio because none of them wanted to give me a chance. They said that working for myself meant that I could work slowly and at my own pace and that they needed someone who could keep up, not just be a capable designer. I went from that into a senior designer role at a different branch within 12 months. :) The ones I got senior with weren't nice to work for etc, but it still set me up for future roles. XD.

I used to blame the industry, but the truth is that most universities are out of touch with industry. I definitely found this out through my own experiences. Companies don't want the bother of training people from scratch, so they let other people do it via internships/work experience etc. It's messed up, but meh. It's the way it is.

Dunn x Dolo and Interest1ng like this.
  11. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

The exact reason as to why I did not go into the industry. By the time I finished my degree. I didn't have time to find a job doing what my degree was for. I couldn't afford it as a lot of the internships are little to no pay.

12. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I was getting €240 a week from the internship and an extra €70 from my employer to pay my bus fair. I did have a bit of a commute and 5 day pass was €68. The money wasn't fantastic but I got the training I needed to be able to work at speed. Some employers just take advantage of interns, but mine didn't. They even let me have my own clients when they realised I was capable of it. He was super nice and made sure I actually got a paid position within the franchise at the end. I have heard horror stories though from interns in various industries and there was a whole site dedicated to it at one point lol. For me, it was better to work at low pay for a little while because the alternative was staying as a semi-employed freelancer where I definitely got more money, but not on a reliable basis, AND I got to work with big name clients in the studio that I would never get as a small town freelancer. XD. It definitely depends on situation of course and whether you have the security there to go and take the risk of working for SFA for a little bit. ^^

13. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

unfortunately, internships dont pay, and ive got debt to handle like anyone else graduating.
    the industry is to blame, in what world should anyone be expected to work full time or more for free, just to gain exprriance? thats madness. id rather go back to HR or even retail than get reamed like that.

14. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Glad to hear you are better @Shannon Apple

@Oh Snape said something about you finally got a boyfriend or something which is why you were awol. Typical Chatroom stuff ya know. :p

As far as my personal life goes........well. My sons school counselor thinks my son may need see to behavioral counselor as he shows signs of possibly having ADD or ADHD. As a parent the things they explained that he does just seemed like normal until you finally have somebody explain it to you and then you start to realize that you have just been ignoring the signs all along. Regardless of what happens, I will still treat my son like the normal energetic constantly getting on my nerves bad ass that he is and love him as so.

My wife needs to get two surgeries. She got a really bad ear infection which caused her to either not hear at all or barely hear out of her left ear. They believe a tube that runs down her neck to her ear or something like that may be clogged or whateva so they need to do surgery to unblock it. I suck at medical terminology and explaining it so shut the hell up.

She also needs to get surgery to remove an abnormal sized lypolma or however you spell it from the same spot she got a previous one removed. They believe the doctor before never fully removed the previous one so it just regrew into an even bigger one. They want to cut in the same spot as the previous surgery and this time its going to be a bigger and deeper cut to make sure they remove it all.

Other than that, Same shit different day with ya boi dunny. Still being the sarcastic asshole everybody knows and loves. :D

#174 Dunn x Dolo, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    käwäii and Interest1ng like this.
  15. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

So many changes around your lives, everyone o_O and here I thought I was the only one turning my life around. So last week I simply went on a job interview... I choose to candidate in a school which works with students who has special needs, who has emotional and other kind of disorders. My whole workplace was kinda schocked because of my choice, my students were literally CRYING over the corners... and I felt like I have seen my funeral.... This week is easier, I still have to work there until November 2nd, I am scared of my new position and the lack of knowledge about special students but I take it as a chalange. :)

Best health for you and your families and I hope all these changes will bring you something good.

käwäii, Interest1ng and Dunn x Dolo like this.
  16. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Probably the only biggest change is that I (finally) got a job. Now all the working and freetime rhythms start to feel normal, tbh it took a while to get used to, but luckily now the hardest part is already over. Other than that I'm trying to step up my guitar playing, trying to learn some theory and really put some head and thought into that thing. Though my pos guitar has an annoying problem so now I've gotta fix that also. Been visiting my grandma daily, thankfully shes still in pretty good shape. I don't wanna sound like a terrible person, but sometimes it feels kinda hard/stressful to "live with" some other person, like sharing their day to day problems and worries. Maybe it's cause shes an elderly person and has many little things that can get to her, I dunno. I shouldn't complain cause after all everything is going quite smoothly. :coffee:

17. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Colleges are to blame unfortunately. They don't communicate with industry and get their students into placements so by the time they graduate, they at least have that experience behind them. In my last university, they were actually doing this, but I was on a one year intense postgrad course so really didn't have time for that. One of our professors was co-ordinating with industry and asking them what he needed to teach us. If I wanted to take up a job as a software tester tomorrow, I could. I was thought exactly what I needed to know in co-ordination with a top employer who came in to discuss it with us. They praised the professor for actually setting his students up not with useless knowledge, but with the practical skills needed to actually go into a job prepared. You'd still have some training, but would know the basics of what you're doing. That's not the industry I want to go into, but that was just one module. I wish every professor did stuff like that. Then, no one would need internships. Ever.

My Masters set me up to work in the industry. My degree did not. I was able to consult properly with my clients. I knew how I should work with them and was freelancing successfully enough... just didn't have enough clients lol. The only thing I was lacking was studio experience. Speed is a necessity there. They should have sent us out on studio work experience during the course of the programme so we'd know what to expect. They did provide us with real clients for all practical projects though, so at least there was that. Neither of my bachelor degree programmes bothered to do ANYTHING at all. That was the problem. I did graduate straight into the recession in 2008 and had to take shitier jobs to pay bills anyway until I took the Master's some years later to refresh my skills.

So yep, I definitely blame the universities. At the end of the day, all a degree does is prove that you have the capacity to learn. But the reality is, depending on the industry, is that a lot of students are going to be learning everything from scratch. Degrees should be a lot more hands on. It was only after taking a Masters and then training my own interns later on that I actually realised how bad colleges prepare people for the real world. :(

I'd still go looking for a couple weeks work experience (at the very least) from some big company within the industry you want to work, while you're applying for jobs. Even if that doesn't turn into employment, it looks good on the resume, especially if they give you a reference. They important thing is to just keep applying and don't get disheartened. Someone's going to notice you!

The alternative is to combine your previous experience with your new degree. Find a way of using your previous experience to your advantage to bypass the entry level bullshit. :) Like, I'm a graphic designer, so my plan has always been to edge toward front end tech like many of my friends have done. Not actually go full on software dev. XD

@Dunn x Dolo: I'm glad they figured out that your son has a behavioural issue. Teachers can be assholes and just not bother to teach a kid who's a bit unruly/distracted in class. My friend had this problem with her son. Now he's getting the help he needs and that teacher that was picking on him was quite sheepish. lol

Wishing your wife the best of luck with her surgeries. It's a scary thing. I am not looking forward to mine. lol.

@Fantasy: Best of luck in the new job. I am sure that you will do great! x

@käwäii: Congrats on the new job. Really pleased for you! :)

18. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I'm scared for my father.
    It has not even been a year since he had surgery to remove a cancer-filled organ. Luckily, the cancer was completely contained and they got it out in one fell swoop. But he has been slow to recover since that surgery. And then just a few days ago, he had to go to the hospital because of intense pain in his abdomen. They did scans and found that his gallbladder is filled with sludge and can no longer function. He has to go under the knife, twice in one year, to have it removed as it is the only way as the sludge cannot be removed from the gallbladder and even if it was, the gallbladder is too far gone. I hope, I truly hope, the surgery goes well and he goes on to lead a pain-free life. But two organs to be removed in one year? That's an intense burden to bear.

19. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Damn that sucks. Hope things work out man.

20. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I hope he recovers soon. Well good news about gallbladder removal is that it isn’t essential to a healthy digestive system, he may have occasional loose stools. Other than that he’ll be alright.