Looking for Recommendations

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by JennyorAlice, Nov 10, 2016.

1. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

I won't mind taking suggestions if someone has any that they want to share.....

General Preferences: I normally like fantasy, science fiction, horror and thriller. I will venture outside of these genres if they can hold my interest.
    Previous reads: The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney, Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver, the Horus Heresy series by various authors such as Graham McNeill, Dan Abbnett, and Ben Counter to name a few, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott, The Wolves of Mercy Falls by Maggie Stiefvater, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy by Stieg Larsson, The Monstromologist series by Rick Yancy, The Twilight series and The Host by Stephanie Meyer, the Locke & Key series by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, The Dragonology Chronicles by Dugald A. Steer, the Merlin Saga by T. A. Barron, The Book of Lost Things and Nocturnes by John Connolly, etc.
    Out of the question: The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian (that book was very disappointing and I will not recommend it to anyone)
    Age range: I usually will read teen and above. However, like with my general preferences, I will read children if it holds my interest.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. I recommend this one a lot to fantasy lovers. It's exceptionally good. Sanderson's magic systems are quite unique. :)

JennyorAlice likes this.
  3. AKAnime

AKAnime Newbie
    Gold Founder

Second on Mistborn, though if you want to give Sanderson a try without jumping into a multi book series read "Warbreaker"

If you like Urban fantasy try The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. He's up to like 15 or so books in the series, and they are all good. First 3 are nice, but he really hits his stride in the 4th one.

JennyorAlice likes this.
  4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

You can give Paul McAuleys 'Confluence Trilogy' a peek. Don't know anyone who's read this which is a shame as its a cracking read with tons of stuff going on underneath its fantasy world skin. The first book is mostlyp fantasy in a sci-fi setting, the second explains the sci-fi aspects whilst the finale is straight up hard science fiction where everything is answered. Its awesome with some Lord Of Ring and Gene Wolfs 'Book Of The New Sun' (but more plot driven, lol) vibes.

http://atebook.net/book/34288/readf

You can read first chapter in link.

JennyorAlice likes this.
  5. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

JennyorAlice likes this.
  6. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice New Member

Thank you all for your recommendations. I will look into the stuff that you've provided whenever I go to my local bookstore or local library again.

Keep the recommendations coming!

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

8. Frosty The Ninja

Frosty The Ninja New Member

anyone else like Terry Goodkind? ive read Sword of truth series and i think i like it mostly due to the nostalgia of my childhood but a lot of reviews say it is overly predictable.