News Lupin III: Part V (April 2018 Anime)

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kuze, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Or to be precise, the 6th if we're counting "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine". TMS confirmed at Japan Expo in France that the series is in production. This time Lupin III will be travelling to France, the home of his grandfather and namesake, Maurice Leblanc's master thief character Arsène Lupin.

Here's an official teaser visual

[​IMG]

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope this one will be more in line with The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and the two recent movies. I.e. more the hardboiled seinen version that's closer to the manga rather than the more family-friendly version that's been what most Lupin anime have been like since The Castle of Cagliostro.

3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Great, now I'll hate the animation if its isn't as good as the visual Kuze posted.

I too would prefer a more noir outing for Lupes. And do I not like orange dinner jackets? Or carmine.

4. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Given that they've kept the blue jacket and the teaser visual looks very close to the style of the fourth season, I think we can safely assume that it'll stick to the lighter tone. I don't mind that, as, Yamamoto/Koike efforts notwithstanding, I thought series four was the best thing to come out of the franchise in more than a decade, but I would prefer if they could tighten up the writing a bit this time around.

5. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I fucking love me some Lupin.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Okay so an update on this:

The new anime series will move the setting to modern France. While Lupin will still use classic cars and traditional guns like the Walter P38, he will also employ the Internet, mobile devices, and other digital gadgets to take on his foes.

No promo video out yet.

It's scheduled to air on NTV starting in April, and it will also stream on Hulu and other services.

This is the cover visual by the way.

[​IMG]

7. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

So they are modernising Lupin III but trying to keep it as much as possible the classic style. I hope they can really make it work out.
    Lupin III has had my attention since probably over a decade but I am so intimidated by the material I have never even made an attempt to start, hahaha.

8. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

A new promotional video for the upcoming anime was streamed. It will stream on Hulu. No confirmation as to streaming on other international sites.