Romance Makoto Shinkai's 'Your Name' hollywood remake

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kuze, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

News website Deadline has reported that Marc Webb (The Amazing Spider-Man, 500 Days of Summer) is directing the planned live-action Hollywood adaptation of Makoto Shinkai's your name. anime film.

Lowdown of the planned film:

Paramount Pictures and J. J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions is producing the new film. Genki Kawamura, the anime film's producer, is also being credited as co-producer.. Academy Award-nominated screenwriter Eric Heisserer (Arrival, Bird box) is penning the script..

Heisserer earlier stated that the Japanese rights holders requested a Westernized take on the source material. "They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves," he said. "But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint."

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah Ryan Reynolds or Matthew McConaheynaysumting is gonna be in this isn't he?

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

He doesn't fit the "young man from Chicago" description.

4. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

It's so weird. I had not heard of the original at all and then my mother and sister who both don't watch ANY anime told me about it.

Live action remakes generally suck though.

5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Edge of Tomorrow was good. Would semi rate the Ghost in the Shell movie as well.

6. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Totally forgot Edge of Tomorrow was a remake. Yea that one was enjoyable. As a hard core GitS fan I could not enjoy the live action movie. They took elements from the movies and series and just put them together in a heartless recreation. I like Scarlett Johanson, but her rendition of Motoko was awful. She just doesn't match the character at all. I think they even changed her first name for some reason.

7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Well, as a hardcore fan, I will partially agree. There were a few positives to take from it, in my opinion, like the ending and Takeshi Kitano and Pilou Asbaek's acting (if you're a Takeshi fan). But yeah, semi-decent.

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

only takashi mike can adapt manga/anime into live action. This is gonna be hilariously bad i can already tell.