RPG Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by RyderMcFly, Nov 7, 2016.

1. RyderMcFly

RyderMcFly The Bipolar Bear

I agree with this post so much. Love that you got as deep as you did into RPGs. lol The Mass Effect series got rooted into deep personal levels for me as well, especially with the second game.

Even though I'd admit that I've got the hots for Ashley (lol), I could totally understand where her naysayers were coming from. No matter how she tried to twist it, it was still xenophobia at the end of the day. While I didn't exactly feel like it falls to me to show her the error of her ways, I could understand her side of the story, being on guard around other aliens. Personally, the Council pissed me off so much that at times, I would agree with Ashley's point of view, like we humans are the minority species. It's easy to relate to subjects of prejudice like that, even if their advocates aren't necessarily in the right.

And I love Ashley's poems. She's so romantic whenever she reads Tennyson. lol

I think the fact that I can get emotionally invested into RPGs like this is why I share your sentiment of "connecting with characters". It's why I prefer games where I can make the choices so that I can decide my part in the game, not just play a designated role by the game devs. It grants a deeper sense of interactivity that way.

2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I don't think they were poorly written necessarily, I didn't mean to imply that either. I just think that, in comparison to other characters, they stick out as the less interesting companions. Jacob, Zaalbar and Kaidan stand out as somewhat boring fellows, because generally speaking, they're buttoned down soldiers, as they should be. It's a little strange to call a Wookie buttoned-down, but you know what I mean. It's less poorly written, and more written as intended. They still have some depth for the most part, but these characters exist to fill a certain role, and that's totally fine. Just as Carth, Garrus and Alistar exist to be your snappy sidekicks.

I felt like Ashley's character arc is completed nicely if you let her go on Virmire. She goes out fighting side-by-side with the Salarians, redeeming her family name in the process. I haven't played through them having saved her though, and Kaiden doesn't expand a lot after the first game, so I wouldn't really know. Frankly, I tend to choose the exact same things every single time I play through these games.

3. Ravok

Ravok ~Hoping he will get a reply soon

I mean i hope they let the new character drak be just as amazing as both grunt and wrex. My honest favorites being grunt, wrex, garrus and Javik (Throw him out of the airlock)

RyderMcFly likes this.
  4. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

Finally got Andromeda started and so far I'm having a good time. The visual stuff in the press is definitely weird but after replaying the first three and seeing all the nonsense that happens in those I think I was more mentally prepared for the glitches and glassy eyes than most.

Very frequently Shepard would just flat-out disappear from frame in ME2 and ME3. One time in ME3 she was about to give her big speech and BOOP! Teleported out of existence. I like to think that the bug put her model outside the ship and she was pantomiming out there to no one.

Not super thrilled about being roped into an early access game without being told it was early access but what's done is done, just gonna focus on pathfinding now.

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Forgot we even had this thread. :p

I had Ryder disappear during a cutscene in my last session, but oddly, his clothes stayed around, so I had a floating jacket talking to people, and I couldn't fix it until I restarted the game.

The gameplay just didn't feel good in my experience. Mass Effect 3 is incredibly tight, and Andromeda doesn't come anywhere near it from that perspective. The melee button feels off, and the jumping didn't sit well with me.

I think you've summed it up pretty well with the last bit. It doesn't feel finished just yet. I don't think it's a bad game, but it's painfully lackluster.

6. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I kinda like the combat, honestly. The newfound freedom is pretty nice, and I'm getting used to how the cover system works now.

Probably gonna do some multiplayer to get some more combat experience in, though. Enemies don't fuck around in this game.

7. Jane Shepard

Jane Shepard Cσммαη∂єя
    Gold Founder

If you thought this thread would exist without me commenting, you were sorely mistaken. :D

Welp. I beat the game like the week it came out and really enjoyed the story line. The animations weren't enough to take away from it for me, so I didn't really care to read all the whining and joking about it. Since there's new patches/updates and others incoming especially for character customization being more in-depth (god it was so simple? Like DA:I was amazing, what happened?).. I might do another play-through and try a different kind of character.

I really like Ryder's sassy humor, and some of the decisions felt a lot more fluid to me. Like the others wouldn't TOTALLY hate you forever for some of them. I dunno. It's a great game to me.

The romance scene with Jaal at the lake though? OH MY FLIPPING GOD. WHAT ARE WORDS.

8. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Sick part is u and everyone else paid for this game. This lets Bioware and more importantly other devs know, that its ok the ship a unfinished product as long as u have a great name behind u. Very sad for this franchise and company to me personally. I refuse to buy Capcom games and ill refuse to buy Adromeda even though i REALLY want to play it, just not acceptable. Ur the consumer ur being got.

EDit: Also we could go deeper about how much budget this game had..... what happened? This shouldn't be supported for creators and devs, Sad to see u post this KT. Honestly.

KT Samurai likes this.
  9. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Man buys vidya gaem. Enjoys it, kinda. Many such cases.
    Sad!

MVGA

KT Samurai likes this.
  10. TonyTony

TonyTony Active Member

Ye. I totally get its kinda some debbie downer shit, but only way u can stop this shit is to NOT BUY IT. Sucks.

ThisGuy likes this.
  11. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

I don't think ill get this unless they really fix it alot with patchs. Bioware have just been down hill since DA2 and after playing DAI I lost faith, so I expected something like this to happen. One friend really likes it but he also likes Fifa so I can't really trust him on games :p. I don't really care about the animations a whole lot but ive also heard the story is bad which is kinda the whole point of Mass effect.

#31 DamianWinters, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    TonyTony likes this.