Memories of A4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tae, May 13, 2020.

1. Tae

Tae Visitor

Hey guys, I havent been very active on here since I joined, but I was carried over from A4. The site where I recognize many of you from. I had a different username at the time, Dragnight44. You may have seen me around you may not have. I feel like so much has changed since those days we would all log onto that community page and talk about anime or roleplay. Some changes good, while some not as amazing. But I do really miss that site and the community as a whole. I hope I can find myself to be more active here and make new friends and memories. My question though, is do the people that did come over from A4, have any good memories they think of sometimes? A memory I have, are the many indepth conversations id have with Scruffie, Myameohmy, Pia, and Demoneyes Kyo, and Jellz. Good times.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  2. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Hi. I was mostly active on A4 between 2010 to 2012, so I'm not sure I remember seeing you around. I had a chat with Scruffie recently on our Discord where we talked about food. Apparently I really upset him when I said I'd been mixing soy sauce and yogurt, so he's still around. Not sure about the other people you mentioned. Anyways it would be cool to see more people posting here. It's been pretty quiet since I've been around.

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi @Tae. I do remember the name Dragnight44.

Gosh, I have so many memories. Some of them are hilarious, others, not so much. XD. I joined A4 in 2006, so it wasn't around from the very beginning of the site. I was on staff since 2008.

There were some fun times. One of my funniest memories is telling the forum I was a man. I actually didn't mean that to take off the way it did. I was sick of underage boys writing stuff on my profile. One day, I say in the mod forum "Guys, I think I am going to make a thread and tell everyone that I'm a man, because I'm sick of this." Both mods and admins were like "DO EET. DO EET NOW!" Sure, they were getting great fun out of the whole situation with my wall, even if it was creeping me out.

The "fanboys" didn't take it lying down. They called me a pedo and shit. It was okay to harass me as a female, but somehow me being a man meant I was a pedo and then a couple of other idiots were telling me that being a trap was hot. In the end, I had to tell the truth and pass it off as an April fool joke. It happened to co-incide. The honest to God truth was that my intention was to have the forum believe I was male from then on. It just caused way too much drama. It was funny though even if it did get a bit crazy in the middle. LOL!

4. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Apparently I come across a little manly...

5. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I was pretty uptight.

Like sphincter diamonds tight.

Scruffie and DcRising like this.
  6. bunnydemon326

Admittedly, most of my time was spent in the HunterXHunter club thread. We were a bit of a rowdy group, and probably one of the reasons why the clubs ultimately got taken down, but it was fun while it lasted. I ended up making most of my friends there, and met my now boyfriend in 2010, who I ended up moving across America for. We have been living together for the past year. @StrawHats

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Ah, I'm happy to hear that you guys are together properly, no more distance. =)

As for groups, it was the drama. I wasn't an admin at the time, but I do remember it well from staff perspective. There were only 3 active clubs remaining at that point. The club leader would report drama to mods and ask us to delete stuff, then we'd go in and delete a bunch of posts, warn people to knock it off, then get a torrent of abuse hurled at us about how the club was none of our business from members of the club. 2 of the 3 clubs were like this. I often just logged off A4 feeling really worn out by it all. I think people forget that moderators are just as human as they are. Thankfully Sakuga is full of mature people. Hahahaha!

Along came social groups. The aim there was to give the club leader the power to moderate their own group. Then we wouldn't have to deal with it. There was a lot of push back against that. But other social clubs grew and remained active, new friends were made, so there was that. I dunno why some people in the clubs didn't want to adapt. It might have had something to do with postcount? Maybe.

bunnydemon326 likes this.
  8. bunnydemon326

It def was the post count. And just to have something to complain about.

I silently gave the mods crap for it (sorry!), but I can see how they could cause drama (us having some ourselves). Ultimately, it was a good decision. Get a group of nerds in one spot, arguments are going to happen.

9. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I was the greatest member to ever grace the forums. Everyone remembers me.

10. Finfan

Finfan Newbie

Is this the forum that had an admin go rogue and shut down the site? If so then I was there back then and used this name and avatar.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Not exactly. All of A4s volunteer staff were cool. A4 was owned by Knuckles10 and he sold it. The new owners were a pair of siblings from Columbia and had no idea how to run a forum. One of them had never even posted on a forum before. They thought that wastaz had nothing to do but keep moving the site from server to server because they were too cheap to pay for server space. The site was down more often than up because it kept running out of bandwidth. Wastaz moved it a couple times, and was like "no more." He's a professional and his time was worth something, but they didn't seem to value or understand his generosity in doing that for free. It's a huge undertaking moving a forum of that size. So, they then gave backend access to anyone who they thought would work for them for free. That meant that the site got hacked, among other things. Pretty sure all of our user data was stolen. My account even got removed from admin and deleted by someone they let in. It was restored via a database command, but nonetheless, it shouldn't have happened. It was madness. lol.

Eventually we did a gofundme and made this site for the refugees of A4. =)

kura and Finfan like this.
  12. Finfan

Finfan Newbie

I remember there being a Facebook page right after the forum went away, but I was rather shy about letting my real name out so I lurked it a few times but never really posted there.

13. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey Newbie

A4 was a memory of a time when I was an angry teenager.

Met some of my best friends on it though, who I still talk to today